• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

A few words of wisdom from Paul Harvey

Navy Pride

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
I could not have said it better:

Paul Harvey says:

I don't believe in Santa Claus, but I'm not going to sue somebody for singing a Ho-Ho-Ho song in December. I don't agree with Darwin, but I didn't go out and hire a lawyer when my high school teacher taught his theory of evolution.

Life, liberty or your pursuit of happiness will not be endangered because someone says a 30-second prayer before a football game.

So what's the big deal? It's not like somebody is up there reading the entire book of Acts. They're just talking to a God they believe in and asking him to grant safety to the
players on the field and the fans going home from the game.

"But it's a Christian prayer," some will argue.

Yes, and this is the United States of America, a country founded on Christian principles. According to our very own phone book, Christian churches outnumber all others
better than 200-to-1. So what would you expect-somebody chanting Hare Krishna?

If I went to a football game in Jerusalem, I would expect to hear a Jewish prayer.

If I went to a soccer game in Baghdad, I would expect to hear a Muslim prayer.

If I went to a ping pong match in China, I would expect to hear someone pray to Buddha.

And I wouldn't be offended. It wouldn't bother me one bit. When in Rome...

"But what about the atheists?" is another argument.

What about them?
Nobody is asking them to be baptized. We're not going to pass the collection plate. Just humor us for 30 seconds. If that's asking too much, bring a Walkman or a pair of ear plugs. Go to the bathroom. Visit the concession stand. Call your lawyer!

Unfortunately, one or two will make that call. One or two will tell thousands what they can and cannot do. I don't think a short prayer at a football game is going to shake the world's foundations.

Christians are just sick and tired of turning the other cheek while our courts strip us of all our rights. Our parents and grandparents taught us to pray before eating; to pray before we go to sleep.

Our Bible tells us to pray without ceasing. Now a handful of people and their lawyers are telling us to cease praying.

God, help us.
And if that last sentence offends you, well .. just sue me.

The silent majority has been silent too long. It's time we let that one or two who scream loud enough to be heard ... that the vast majority don't care what they want. It
is time the majority rules! It's time we tell them, you don't have to pray; you don't have to say the pledge of allegiance;you don't have to believe in God or attend services that
honor Him. That is your right, and we will honor your right. But by golly, you are no longer going to take our rights away. We are fighting back ... and we WILL WIN!

God bless us one and all ... especially those who denounce Him. God bless America, despite all her faults. She is still the greatest nation of all.

God bless our service men who are fighting to protect our right to pray and worship God.

May 2005 be the year the silent majority is heard and we put God back as the foundation of our families and institutions.

Keep looking up.

Navy Pride said:

Paul Harvey says:

I don't believe in Santa Claus, but I'm not going to sue somebody for singing a Ho-Ho-Ho song in December. I don't agree with Darwin, but I didn't go out and hire a lawyer when my high school teacher taught his theory of evolution.

The Intelligent Design movement is the equivalent of hiring a lawyer to counter Darwin.

Your "when in Rome" argument has some merit, I wonder if it works both ways. This October, I've noticed heightened objection to the celebration of Halloween in our schools, shutting it down altogether in some instances. Given that a "silent majority" of Americans view the holiday as harmless play-acting and candy-collecting, should the folks who have a problem just suck it up or hire lawyers?

I find it funny that people think that they can't pray anywhere. Where does Jesus say that prayers only count if they are made out loud and in unison? It is a separation of church and state issue. If you want to be superstitious, Don't take federal tax dollars, or local tax dollars for that matter. Praying never kept anyone from getting hurt in a football game or in a war. There is absolutely no evidence to support that it actually cuts down on injuries. You can pray anywhere you like. God will get the message whether it is our loud or not.

I'll tell you what. I'll let you say your prayer at the high school football game, as long as you aren't leading the team in mandatory prayer. I'll let you have a class on the history and/or meaning of religion, if you don't try to force pseudoscience into biology textbooks. And I'll let you display Christmas decorations in front of public buildings, if you don't try to put the Ten Commandments in a court.

Sound fair?

Navy Pride said:

Paul Harvey says:

[Moderator mode]

Hey Navy,

That's twice now that you broken the rules by not providing a source to keep this forum on the legal side of things...Let's take a look at the rules again...

8. Copyrighted Material - All material posted from copyrighted material MUST contain a link to the original work.
Please do not post entire articles. Proper format is to paraphrase the contents of an article and/or post relevant excerpts and then link to the rest. Best bet is to always reference the original source.
Title 17, Chapter 1, Section 107 http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.html

I KNOW you've seen them before...Take a gander at you responding to the last time you did this...

http://debatepolitics.com/showpost.php?p=104415&postcount=8

Let's say this doesn't happen again so thoughts of giving "time-outs" for a couple of days don't start popping into my head...Okay?

[/Moderator mode]

BTW - here's your link - http://www.peoples-voice.com/ibelieve/

Don't make me wipe again...

cnredd said:
[Moderator mode]

Hey Navy,

That's twice now that you broken the rules by not providing a source to keep this forum on the legal side of things...Let's take a look at the rules again...

8. Copyrighted Material - All material posted from copyrighted material MUST contain a link to the original work.
Please do not post entire articles. Proper format is to paraphrase the contents of an article and/or post relevant excerpts and then link to the rest. Best bet is to always reference the original source.
Title 17, Chapter 1, Section 107 http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.html

I KNOW you've seen them before...Take a gander at you responding to the last time you did this...

http://debatepolitics.com/showpost.php?p=104415&postcount=8

Let's say this doesn't happen again so thoughts of giving "time-outs" for a couple of days don't start popping into my head...Okay?

[/Moderator mode]

BTW - here's your link - http://www.peoples-voice.com/ibelieve/

Don't make me wipe again...

wait wait wait, in his defense :shock: I know, when would I ever defend the Chief, but...he did say

Originally Posted by Navy Pride

Paul Harvey says:

so its not like he tried to claim it his own.

and you know me, I am never one to miss a pot shot at stone cold navy pride, but he did the best he could.:rofl

Kandahar said:
I'll tell you what. I'll let you say your prayer at the high school football game, as long as you aren't leading the team in mandatory prayer. I'll let you have a class on the history and/or meaning of religion, if you don't try to force pseudoscience into biology textbooks. And I'll let you display Christmas decorations in front of public buildings, if you don't try to put the Ten Commandments in a court.

Sound fair?

Right. He can say his prayer at the high school football game anytime he wants, out loud, to himself, or he can bellow it to the heavens if he wants to, before, during, and after the game. But if the school is public, and my tax dollars pay for public schools, then there can be no prayer led.

Right again, no creationism. Science class teaches science, and does not study faith. This stays in a person's private life. There are some now who have a 'theory' which is based on ignorance-since the building blocks of life and the vastness of the cosmos are too complicated to have formed on their own (in other words, we don't understand them), there has to be a God. I would never say there is no God, but if part of one's belief in Him is based on this theory, He must surely be very disappointed.

I don't understand the mindset of those who demand organized prayer before state functions. You can pray anywhere, anytime you want. You can pray in public, at home, waiting for the subway, while watching the game, in church, at school, before eating, after eating, etc. Don't try to force prayer at a state function. I would consider these people a 'captive' audience, and anyway, only a control freak would try to force his prayer on a large group where he can't know the religion of everyone there, or even if all of them have a religion.

The argument that Christians outnumber members of other faiths by a huge factor is an argument against what Paul Harvey says in the rest of his statement. It is the minority that we have to protect, the majority doesn't need protection.

I don't want Christmas decorations in front of public buildings. Why is this necessary? People can do this at home and at church, and at any private property.

Also, I agree with you on the Ten Commandments, too. So many people say the laws of our country are based on them, so its okay to display them in judicial buildings. They are not. This is wrong.

Nobody is telling Paul Harvey to cease praying. Listen to me, a guy who doesn't want forced prayer before state functions, as I tell Paul Harvey and everybody else to pray all they want to, anywhere they want to. But you don't have to make sure there is a prayer led (again, at a state function), while you make sure everybody who you want to hear the prayer is quiet.

I do agree with Paul Harvey 100% on several things he said:
God bless America
God bless our Servicemen
God protect our right to pray
God bless us every one (he borrowed that one from Charles Dickens)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom