• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

A Few Questions About Conversations

Old 'N Chill

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
If I recall, when we still used regular PMs, the user could delete them completely, and I assumed that the other person involved no longer could see that PM either....or if your inbox was full, you had the option to delete all to open up more space and get rid of old PMs.

Now with Conversations, you can only Leave the Conversation, and choose not to be notified of further replies to it. I'm just curious as to if I leave a conversation, does that just make me not able to see it anymore, and lose knowledge of what is going on with the conversation once I'm out of it?

1. If I start a conversation with another member, and then leave it and choose not to be notified of further replies, does the other member still see the full conversation in their inbox?

2. If they still see the conversation I've left and removed from my inbox, do they still see all my posts there?

3. If there are pages of messages, can they all be removed at once if I want to clear my inbox?

4. If the other member initiated the conversation, and I left it, can they invite other members into the conversation and would they be able to read my messages there?

5. Other than clearing your inbox, are there any other advantages of leaving a conversation......any disadvantages since you no longer see the thread?

6. Is there any way to Edit a message in conversations, I don't think there was an edit button, there were times I noticed a typo, and had to leave it?

If I recall, when we still used regular PMs, the user could delete them completely, and I assumed that the other person involved no longer could see that PM either....or if your inbox was full, you had the option to delete all to open up more space and get rid of old PMs.

Now with Conversations, you can only Leave the Conversation, and choose not to be notified of further replies to it. I'm just curious as to if I leave a conversation, does that just make me not able to see it anymore, and lose knowledge of what is going on with the conversation once I'm out of it?

1. If I start a conversation with another member, and then leave it and choose not to be notified of further replies, does the other member still see the full conversation in their inbox?

2. If they still see the conversation I've left and removed from my inbox, do they still see all my posts there?

3. If there are pages of messages, can they all be removed at once if I want to clear my inbox?

4. If the other member initiated the conversation, and I left it, can they invite other members into the conversation and would they be able to read my messages there?

5. Other than clearing your inbox, are there any other advantages of leaving a conversation......any disadvantages since you no longer see the thread?

6. Is there any way to Edit a message in conversations, I don't think there was an edit button, there were times I noticed a typo, and had to leave it?

I rather seldom used PM. But, regardless of now being called "conversations" v "personal", it's still personal. So, I'd like to see answers to your questions.

Deleting them on vB only deleted them from your inbox, not theirs

It works very similar here. If you leave the conversation it's like deleting the PM in vB (not in your inbox, still in theirs). When you leave the conversation now, it removes it and gives you the option to ignore future replies from the other party or accept them.

Yes

Yes

1619130633738.png

Yes - the person who started the conversation has control over adding more participants or not and the new participants can see the entire "conversation"

Not really

Nope

Thanks Red for all that information. I don't worry about anything I say in PMs, but I imagine if someone started a conversation with me and I gave some personal information, perhaps family photos, and then that member invited a third or forth party to read the conversation, it would upset me. Good to know. Guess even if I start the conversation and leave it, the other member can still copy and send my posts to other members, even if they don't have the ability to invite others.

I appreciate your taking the time to give such a thorough explanation, good to know. 🍻

This is the most important thing for me: "the person who started the conversation has control over adding more participants or not and the new participants can see the entire "conversation""

Your PMs can be revealed, but only if the other person adds people to the conversation. All those people see what you said before they were added (or not?). Unless I've misunderstood it, doesn't that conflict a bit with the prior rule about not publicly posting PMs? I mean, it's not everyone who would see, just the people the creator chooses to introduce to the conversation, but still.....

This is the most important thing for me: "the person who started the conversation has control over adding more participants or not and the new participants can see the entire "conversation""

Your PMs can be revealed, but only if the other person adds people to the conversation. All those people see what you said before they were added (or not?). Unless I've misunderstood it, doesn't that conflict a bit with the prior rule about not publicly posting PMs? I mean, it's not everyone who would see, just the people the creator chooses to introduce to the conversation, but still.....
Conversations aren't public and nothing stopped people from sharing PM's privately before.

Conversations aren't public and nothing stopped people from sharing PM's privately before.

Ah...

I was under the impression that if someone PM'd you, you couldn't share it without permission, full stop. Nvm then.

Your PMs can be revealed, but only if the other person adds people to the conversation. All those people see what you said before they were added (or not?). Unless I've misunderstood it, doesn't that conflict a bit with the prior rule about not publicly posting PMs? I mean, it's not everyone who would see, just the I do
I'm glad I'm aware of this now. I think the conversation feature of inviting more members into a conversation has it's benefits......but the drawback is if someone has no ethics and invites numerous members into a conversation that was initially between two people. Not private at all, and an easier breach than copy and pasting someones reply in a PM. I thank Red for letting me understand, will keep it in mind.

It kinda sounds like the new "conversations" are like Zoom without the visuals. A group of posters can all participate in a single ongoing "conversation", like a private "Zoom Room", lol. And the OP of the "Zoom Room" holds the ultimate gavel!

I can see the appeal! But indeed, @Old 'N Chill it could be used either for good or evil. ;)

It kinda sounds like the new "conversations" are like Zoom without the visuals. A group of posters can all participate in a single ongoing "conversation", like a private "Zoom Room", lol. And the OP of the "Zoom Room" holds the ultimate gavel!

I can see the appeal! But indeed, @Old 'N Chill it could be used either for good or evil. ;)
Thanks for your input Di. I've never used Zoom or anything like that. In forums I've belonged to, the rule was clear that if you forwarded information to another member from a private message, there would be an infraction, possibly up to a ban depending on the information involved I guess. I never had such drama in my forum experiences.

But, I guess someone would have to report it first. I suppose I had a false security about PMs in the past, now with conversations it's a bit more involved. Live and learn. :)

Ah...

I was under the impression that if someone PM'd you, you couldn't share it without permission, full stop. Nvm then.

Hence "conversation" is more indicative than is "personal message" of something confidential except with whomever else you may share it, which it always was, anyway. I guess a "Please keep this message personal & confidential" might be an option.

Back
Top Bottom