• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

A different way of looking at the COVID-19 numbers

Then possibly that is what you should have said.

I'm sorry that you don't understand the complexity of how "A" (who has more money available than "B" does) should be more able to fund "X" than "B" is.

That being said, I'm absolutely positive that you won't be able to understand the complexity of how "A" (who spends more money on "X" than "B" does) is getting a lower return on their investment when they get less "X" than "B" does (see the seventh and eighth columns which I have just added to my "mysterious" table).

By the way, whether or not the ACA exists is totally irrelevant to both "PPP GDP per capita" and "Healthcare Expenditures per capita".
Only think I don't understand is why I continue to waste my time with this blather.

Yes, indeed. China has by far the best "score" on your chart, and the most authoritarian government. So if that's what you mean by "leadership," it's obvious that it's relevant, but you can have it.

If you set aside Russia and China, then the best scores (on both "PPP GDP per capita" and "Healthcare spending per capita") are <SARC>[those flagrantly dictatorial countries<SARC>[ Japan, Germany, and Canada.

Yes, the Chinese numbers are suspect, but then again they are NOT out of line with the numbers from Japan, Russia, and the (aggregated) world if you look at the racial demographics and so cannot be totally dismissed simply because they are "lying commies" like you want to do.

As for financial resources, it's not obvious at all how that would equate with the willingness of the population to remain on lock down and wear masks voluntarily. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Really? Please produce your data because I know of no studies on "willingness of the population to remain on lock down and wear masks voluntarily".

It might be a little interesting if you demonstrated any correlation whatsoever between the availability of financial resources and death rates from the Covid pandemic.

The data (for the 10 areas listed) indicates that the HIGHER the financial resources, the HIGHER the COVID-19 death rate.

The data (for the listed areas) indicates that the HIGHER the per capita spending on healthcare, the HIGHER the COVID-19 death rate.

Is "correlation" the same thing as "causation"? Not in the least.

Is a blind panicked knee-jerk flight from reality the best way of taking stock of the actual situation and producing the best plans to deal with the actual situation?

1. ___ Only a fool would say that.
  2. ___ I believe whatever Mr. Trump tells me to believe.
  3. ___ Any information that does not conform to the reality I want to exist is a pack of total lies because Mr. Trump says it is.
  4. ___ There is no way that any data set shows that the United States of America is in any position other than NUMBER 1 unless that data set is a pack of total lies.
  5. ___ Regardless of the fact that I believed him 100% yesterday, I still believe him 100% when Mr. Trump tells me the total opposite of what he told me yesterday.
  6. ___ No one outside of the United States of America knows anything about anything and the average American High School graduate knows more than the average PhD holder outside of the United States of America.
  7. ___ Only Americans are capable of knowing anything about the United States of America and any foreigner who makes a claim to knowing anything about the United States of America is lying.
  8. ___ The whole world is lying about that so-called "COVID-19" because it actually vanished in April of this year like Mr. Trump said it would.

Feel free to pick as many options as you feel like.

Other than Russia and China, the US is the worst on your list, and if you think we can count on Russia to accurately report its numbers, you may need medical attention yourself.

If you set aside Russia and China, then the best scores (on both "PPP GDP per capita" and "Healthcare spending per capita") are <SARC>[those flagrantly dictatorial countries<SARC>[ Japan, Germany, and Canada.

Please see options 2 through 8 immediately above to simplify your response.

Who said O'care was "single payer"? Employers are mandated to provide HC by ACA. The choices they provide have to meet minimum coverage specified by ACA. Individual policies have to be ACA compliant.

And what HC benefits do the unemployed have?

And what HC benefits do the unemployed have?
Individual policies bought through ACA exchanges? Subsidized. Medicaid?

I mostly dispute the world figures, which also include China and Russia.

And in for total irrelevance.

However, I do think it is rather hilarious that Canadians criticized US/Trump immigration policy on our southern borders and now they are playing tough guy with their southern border, doing whatever they can to keep out those US illegals who are personna non grata. This virus thing has turned lefties into righties and righties into lefties.

Yep immigration- damn that is what a virus does. Hats off for that insight

We see you as unable to control a virus, and no we do not want you up here vacationing.

I do not see the Border opening before a vaccine is widely available and the US gets it together on a pandemic response

Rates much lower than you have now.

Till then explore the US

There are lots of comparisons between relative COVID-19 numbers (you can find a bunch of them at Daily Statistical Summary of COVID-19), but one other way of looking at relative success is by tying it to the amount of potentially available resources.

The amount of money that is potentially available to fight COVID-19 is one of those potentially available resources.

This table

shows the percentage chance of a randomly selected person dying from COVID-19 using the US data as a base line. The first colour-coded column gives the raw rate and the second colour-coded column gives the raw rate as adjusted by "relative ability to pay" (again using the US rate as a base line.

One would expect that the figures would favour the US much more than they do - based on the relative wealth of the US.

My reading of the figures is that the US:

1. DOES have the "financial resources" available to fight COVID-19 more successfully than any of the other listed areas;
  2. DOES NOT have the "leadership resources" available to fight COVID-19 more successfully than any of the other listed areas;
    and
  3. HAS NOT mobilized the "societal resources" available sufficiently to fight COVID-19 more successfully than any of the other listed areas.

NOTE - This has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with "The American Dream", "The American Ideal", "hating America", "hating Trump" or anything else but exactly what it says "The US could afford to be doing a whole lot better in fighting COVID-19 than it is actually doing.".

exactly the reason to question the accuracy of COVID deaths in this country. The COVID 19 Death count is quite simple

THE DEATH COUNT EXPLAINED: Dr. Ngozi Ezike, director of Illinois Department of Public Health - YouTube

And in for total irrelevance.

Yep immigration- damn that is what a virus does. Hats off for that insight

We see you as unable to control a virus, and no we do not want you up here vacationing.

I do not see the Border opening before a vaccine is widely available and the US gets it together on a pandemic response

Rates much lower than you have now.

Till then explore the US

LOL. So, you're fine with keeping out all of those illegals on the southern border?

LOL. So, you're fine with keeping out all of those illegals on the southern border?

I AM quite happy with actually dealing with them according to the actual law.

I AM NOT at all happy with dealing with them according to something that "The Leader" has cooked up in his bigoted and egotistical "mind" in order to create an artificial crisis so as to assure his re-election.

If the US wants to have the same LEGAL "border protection" on its southern border that Canada has on its southern border all it has to do is to get the Mexican government to agree to sign a "Safe First Nation" pact with the US the way that Canada has with the US.

PS - Just to get back on topic, here is today's table

20-08-17 B3 - Death by Ability to Pay.jpg

and another one for your consideration is

20-08-17 A4 - G8+China NORMALIZED.jpg

Now I know that you are completely committed to "The Lying Commie Russians and the Lying Commie Chinese are Lying Commies so that means that anything that they say is a Lying Commie Lie." so I won't ask you for your comments on either the "Lying Commie Russian numbers" or the Lying Commie Chinese numbers", but I would like to hear your take on why every other one of the listed areas is doing better than the US is if you factor in their "Ability To Pay" or their "Healthcare Spending per capita".

What it looks like is that the US simply isn't "punching up to its weight" when you look at "Ability To Pay" and that the US simply isn't getting the "Bangs per Buck" that it should be getting when you look at "Healthcare Spending per capita", but I am sure that you have some perfectly lucid and logical explanation for the way that the numbers work out.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom