• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

A different take on transgenderism (book spoiler alert)

maquiscat

Maquis Admiral
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
If you find the title misleading, I apologize. However, I can't think of a better way to put it.

I have recently discovered the book I Will Fear No Evil by Robert A. Heinlein. Spoiler Alert, but it is essential to the topic that I wish to bring up. Also keep in mind that I have not finished the book yet, but that is irrelevant to what I will be addressing.

In the book, a wealthy old businessman has decided to attempt to have a brain transplant. He wants his brain moved into a younger healthy body. To forestall any ideas of foul play, he does obtain several willing donors, who when/if they become brain dead though no suspicious activity on his part, their body is donated to him. This isn't the basis for Freejack. He does end up getting a new body, but it is female.

Now the character wasn't one who was transgendered, i.e. thought of themselves as a woman in a man's body. In the book, he (now she) initially seems to take it in stride and looks to adjust to being female. But I was wondering about the idea of this (assuming successful development of the surgery) as another solution for transgendered individuals. It would, at the very least, provide them with a body that would function such that they could reproduce.

Naturally we will get the naysayers that will try to tell us that such a surgery can NEVER be developed. To such, I ask that you pay attention the the assumption given in bold. We will also see the uber religious condemning us for the sins of changing what God has made. To you I say quit being hypocritical, unless you are against correcting other birth defeats because that is what God made, then you're ok, since you're consistent. And of course there will be the one who just straight out deny transgenderism exist. Enjoy your fantasy world. There, I think that should about cover those who will not engage in this thought experiment in good faith.

Have at, people!

Yes, the title
If you find the title misleading, I apologize. However, I can't think of a better way to put it.

I have recently discovered the book I Will Fear No Evil by Robert A. Heinlein. Spoiler Alert, but it is essential to the topic that I wish to bring up. Also keep in mind that I have not finished the book yet, but that is irrelevant to what I will be addressing.

In the book, a wealthy old businessman has decided to attempt to have a brain transplant. He wants his brain moved into a younger healthy body. To forestall any ideas of foul play, he does obtain several willing donors, who when/if they become brain dead though no suspicious activity on his part, their body is donated to him. This isn't the basis for Freejack. He does end up getting a new body, but it is female.

Now the character wasn't one who was transgendered, i.e. thought of themselves as a woman in a man's body. In the book, he (now she) initially seems to take it in stride and looks to adjust to being female. But I was wondering about the idea of this (assuming successful development of the surgery) as another solution for transgendered individuals. It would, at the very least, provide them with a body that would function such that they could reproduce.

Naturally we will get the naysayers that will try to tell us that such a surgery can NEVER be developed. To such, I ask that you pay attention the the assumption given in bold. We will also see the uber religious condemning us for the sins of changing what God has made. To you I say quit being hypocritical, unless you are against correcting other birth defeats because that is what God made, then you're ok, since you're consistent. And of course there will be the one who just straight out deny transgenderism exist. Enjoy your fantasy world. There, I think that should about cover those who will not engage in this thought experiment in good faith.

Have at, people!

Yes, the title is erroneous. It's gender dysphoria. And transgender is both a noun and an adjective.

Word choice matters.

Have at, people!

So you equate Transgenderism to a Birth Defect? No its someone thats mentally ill and needs help! No matter then surgery the person would still be there sex they were born with, If i sew a Shell on my back and run around the sewers eating pizza, and calling myself Raphael does not a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle i make!

Back
Top Bottom