• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

A different question for the Texas PPACA decision

azgreg

Chicks dig the long ball
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Let's say the decision by the Texas judge stands and the PPACA is no more. Then what? What happens next?

Let's say the decision by the Texas judge stands and the PPACA is no more. Then what? What happens next?

Well, I assume protections for pre-existing conditions, along with the rest of the ten essential benefit, are kaput. And I assume that ~25 million people lose their coverage.

My question is more technical then that. I mean what actually happens? Do the set of laws that were in place before Obamacare automatically re-activate? What happens?

I have no idea. There is so much financial leverage that whatever happens will benefit those “with the gold.”

Well, I assume protections for pre-existing conditions, along with the rest of the ten essential benefit, are kaput. And I assume that ~25 million people lose their coverage.

I'm trying to get at what actually happens next. The ACA defines all laws concerning health insurance and much more. It covers Medicaid, Medicare, Tricare, etc. It covers food labeling laws, etc. If you just erase Obamacare there is no law covering healthcare. What happens?

I'm trying to get at what actually happens next. The ACA defines all laws concerning health insurance and much more. It covers Medicaid, Medicare, Tricare, etc. It covers food labeling laws, etc. If you just erase Obamacare there is no law covering healthcare. What happens?

Oh, you mean the nitty gritty...the process? Well, rolling out the ACA was problematic, and that was when government was properly staffed, mostly by well meaning and relatively competent people. We don't have that government now, so calling the repeal of the ACA a "process" would be overly generous. In short, it would be a complete and utter cluster****. If the judge's decision stands, you will have a front row seat to the greatest demonstration of bureaucratic chaos you have ever seen. You'll be telling your great grandchildren about it.

We can talk about politics in the contemporary form which tends to create false equivalencies all over the place. However, if you just looked at how often the GOP forced immediate and existential threats on people to get their way in some weird, creepy abandonment of morality to meet some expectation and goal that they cannot even prove is directionally meaningful for Americans is all anybody has to acknowledge to just dispense with the false equivalency nonsense the Right peddles constantly.

And yea, should that happen, Trump will be all over it insisting that something be done by somebody else "quickly and bigly".

It's pretty much like what'll happen if Congress farts around with the USMCA and Trump dumps NAFTA. If that happens, we go back to the trade agreements that were in effect before NAFTA. We'll go back to the free market w/onerous government controls that was in effect before Obamacare.

Lots and lots of court battles over how the law covers healthcare.

But this is almost certainly never going to happen, because the judges ruling is meritless, and is just an effort to politically showboat.

Lots and lots of court battles over how the law covers healthcare.

But this is almost certainly never going to happen, because the judges ruling is meritless, and is just an effort to politically showboat.

That's for the other 97 threads on the ruling. Here I'm talking about the next day.

It's pretty much like what'll happen if Congress farts around with the USMCA and Trump dumps NAFTA. If that happens, we go back to the trade agreements that were in effect before NAFTA. We'll go back to the free market w/onerous government controls that was in effect before Obamacare.

The more I think about it I think that's right. It all just goes back as if Obamacare was never passed in the first place.

That'll be such a giant pain in the ass for legislators and especially those in the healthcare industry. Overtime here we come.

That's for the other 97 threads on the ruling. Here I'm talking about the next day.
The law stands pending appeal, if that's what you're asking.

No. I'm talking about if the Texas judge's decision stands and Obamacare is dead.
Ah, my apologies.

The laws would mostly revert back to previous statutes before 2010.

No. I'm talking about if the Texas judge's decision stands and Obamacare is dead.

We'll go back to where medical insurance companies can dump you if you become ill, lifetime caps and people not able to afford treatments for major things such as cancer medication, MS medication and many more. Insurance companies will force those with pre-existing conditions to go on red catastrophic insurance rates that only the extremely wealthy could afford.

State law remains in place but some federal funding dries up. States with expanded Medicaid are in the majority so I would expect that to remain intact (by getting passed as a new federal law).

Anyone with a pre-existing condition immediately gets booted off their plan. The GOP gets its ass kicked in 2020.

Anyone with a pre-existing condition immediately gets booted off their plan. The GOP gets its ass kicked in 2020.

Well as I have stated in other threads, this has been an all or nothing bet by the Right to manifestly change the country from what the Founders created for us. They are well on the way to getting their butts handed to them in 2020 as it is. They apparently don't care. Since they also don't care about the established Norms this country has run on since inception and don't care about Rule of Law either I would start worrying about what they have up their sleeve when they get their butts kicked in 2020 since they appear not to care.

Well as I have stated in other threads, this has been an all or nothing bet by the Right to manifestly change the country from what the Founders created for us. They are well on the way to getting their butts handed to them in 2020 as it is. They apparently don't care. Since they also don't care about the established Norms this country has run on since inception and don't care about Rule of Law either I would start worrying about what they have up their sleeve when they get their butts kicked in 2020 since they appear not to care.

Look at what is happening in Wisconsin and Michigan, where Republicans are using the lame duck sessions to strip powers away from the newly elected democratic governors.

Look at what is happening in Wisconsin and Michigan, where Republicans are using the lame duck sessions to strip powers away from the newly elected democratic governors.
They are truly unable to deal with the fact that the broader public is rejecting them.

My question is more technical then that. I mean what actually happens? Do the set of laws that were in place before Obamacare automatically re-activate? What happens?
I dlnt know how it works and it's a hood question. I'm thinking they need to pass new laws

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Free market in health care? When was that? Certainly not before Obamacare with the VA, Medicare and Medicaid.

Back
Top Bottom