• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

A different path on Illegal Immigration

BCR

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
I think it's safe to say the current plan we have today is "Keep them out". From building walls and having security forces on the border, that's sort of the idea right? Now Arizona is stepping it up a notch and the overwhelming majority of Americans are behind it no doubt.

It's obvious this whole process has failed. Go across the border to one of those lovely cities and you will see why those people would risk life and limb to get over here. I think the best way to handle this is to help illegals become legals. Is that to radical? I don't think so. Illegal Immigrants are used as a scapegoat all too often in politics, it takes the public's focus off of more important things.
Granted there are drug cartels who need to be stopped, I blame this on the U.S.'s idiotic drug policy, but most of these people come over and take jobs that nobody wants! I don't see a problem in that at all. I don't see people flocking to Jimbo's produce farm to fill out an application to be a fruit picker or Tom's slaughterhouse to fill out an application to be a cleaner. Illegal immigrants are not all dangerous coke slinging scoundrels looking to take your jobs, actually they have a lower crime rate than citizens! They are good people who are just looking for something better in life. What the hell is wrong with that and how dare we get upset, as a country that is filled with immigrants and ancestors of immigrants we should not be passing judgment but be the helping hand.

Yes, it has failed. I certainly don't object to an amnesty of sorts and letting illegals earn their way to citizenship...as long as we are going to secure our borders and enforce immigration laws in the future. Mexico has a population of 106,000,000 people. How many shall we allow to come to the United States? All of them? We already have 13% of their population. How many before we explode?

Population wise we are no where near "exploding". I'd like to see reform that makes coming into this country legally easier. It's a pain in the ass to do so but you never really hear that from some of the media.

Yes, it has failed. I certainly don't object to an amnesty of sorts and letting illegals earn their way to citizenship...as long as we are going to secure our borders and enforce immigration laws in the future. Mexico has a population of 106,000,000 people. How many shall we allow to come to the United States? All of them? We already have 13% of their population. How many before we explode?

If amnesty works . . . and gives some breathing room so we can tighten up measures to curb future illegal-popular explosions.
Then why are we currently having problems?

We've granted amnesty before.

Yes, we have granted amnesty. And it didn't work because we failed to come up with a comprehensive and real plan to secure our borders. Barring that real plan, amnesty will fail again...and shouldn't be granted. But it's a hopeless ideal, because amnesty (a path to it) is going to be granted whether we like it or not.

It's obvious this whole process has failed. Go across the border to one of those lovely cities and you will see why those people would risk life and limb to get over here. I think the best way to handle this is to help illegals become legals. Is that to radical? I don't think so. Illegal Immigrants are used as a scapegoat all too often in politics, it takes the public's focus off of more important things.

As a country that is filled with immigrants and ancestors of immigrants we should not be passing judgment but be the helping hand.

Illegals are here to stay, no matter what state or government decides to do about it. If the Republicans try to push new laws through, they'll lose minority votes.

ricksfolly

Population wise we are no where near "exploding". I'd like to see reform that makes coming into this country legally easier. It's a pain in the ass to do so but you never really hear that from some of the media.

Without border security, there will always be a greater number jumping the border than follow the legal way in.
IMO, the US has about maxed out its population if you look at what our natural resources and infrustructer can substain.

make it easier to get in legally! Go ahead and beef up border security but at least make it easier to enter here legally. That way at least these people will be subject to taxation.

Back
Top Bottom