• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

A court should not have any jurisdiction over Roe Vs Wade which begs the question why would any woman vote republican they abuse the legal system?

Razoo

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

AMY GOODMAN: Later in the broadcast, we’ll talk about Cameroonians getting TPSafter a multiyear fight. But first, we look now at how Republican-led states are enacting a wave of new abortion restrictions, with four more states added just last week: Tennessee, Florida, Kentucky and Oklahoma. On Tuesday, Oklahoma’s Republican Governor Kevin Stitt signed a bill that makes performing an abortion illegal, with an exception only in the case of a medical emergency.

GOV. KEVIN STITT: I promised Oklahomans that I would sign every pro-life bill that hit my desk. And that’s what we’re doing here today. … We want Oklahoma to be the most pro-life state in the country. We want to outlaw abortion in the state of Oklahoma.
AMY GOODMAN: This comes after Florida’s Republican Governor Ron DeSantis signed a bill banning most abortions after 15 weeks of pregnancy, effectively outlawing the procedure. It’s modeled after the Mississippi abortion law that the U.S. Supreme Court is currently weighing and which could essentially overturn Roe v. Wade. Meanwhile, in Kentucky, the Republican-led Legislature voted to enact a similar law that has no exceptions for people who become pregnant by rape or incest. Kentucky also banned abortion pills by mail, as did the Tennessee Republican-led House in a bill passed Thursday. Meanwhile, Democrat-led states, like Maryland and Michigan, are trying to expand abortion access.

For more, we’re joined by Caroline Kitchener. She is national political reporter at The Washington Post, where she covers abortion. Her latest piece is headlined “Republicans enacting a wave of new abortion restrictions.”

Caroline, why don’t you just give us a lay of the land in the United States in this lead-up to the Supreme Court decision in June that could lead to the overturning of Roe v. Wade? I mean, the numbers are just astounding of states that have introduced virtual abortion bans, even in the last week almost one a day.

CAROLINE KITCHENER: It’s hard to keep track. They’re doing the same thing all across the country in Republican-led states. I think a really important point to make is that we’ve seen this in past years, you know, but the past couple of years we’ve seen Republican-led legislatures rushing to pass all sorts of really extreme anti-abortion legislation. But this year it feels different, because it actually seems like some of these most extreme, most sweeping bills, that really wipe out abortion access, could actually take effect. In the past, these kinds of bans, they’ve been blocked by the courts really consistently. But now Texas has this law, this six-week abortion ban that’s been in place since September, and the Supreme Court is potentially poised to overturn Roe. So, the stakes feel really different this year for the kinds of legislation that we’re seeing.

AMY GOODMAN: Now, just describe each situation, I mean, each ban. Just last week, for example, in Oklahoma, describe what Kevin Stitt signed as he said, “We are trying to outlaw abortion,” Oklahoma.

CAROLINE KITCHENER: So, Oklahoma is a — Oklahoma is really one to watch. It’s one that I’ve been paying attention to most closely, because there are several bans there that are moving through that are really concerning to abortion providers. So, there was the one that was signed by the governor last week.

That’s a total ban.

That would make performing an abortion illegal, punishable by up to 10 years in prison for doctors who provide abortions in the state. But there are also two other bans that could take effect as early as this week, and that — those two I’m watching very closely, because unlike the ban that was signed last week, these two could take effect with the governor’s signature.

So that means that abortion could be banned in Oklahoma. This could take effect as early as this week. And now that’s particularly significant for Oklahoma, because as well as affecting Oklahoma patients who are trying to get abortions in the state, it also has a huge impact on patients from Texas, who have been coming to Oklahoma more than any other state since their own abortion ban took effect in September.

AMY GOODMAN: Now, talk about this. I mean, I don’t think people realize in this country that we’re talking about really internal refugees, people who have to go from state to state, like Texas to Oklahoma. And you’ve really documented this, the number of hours that they have to go. And, of course, people of less means — and particularly this is affecting communities of color — cannot afford to either take a plane or drive hours or days to get to an abortion clinic.

Roe vs Wade merely states that abortion is a legal health care matter. Roe Vs Wade does not and never
has forced any woman to have an abortion. It is a matter of choice.

A court should not have any jurisdiction over Roe Vs Wade…​

WTF? How can you argue that a court should not have jurisdiction over a court’s decision? Roe v. Wade and PP v. Casey are both court (eventually SCOTUS) decisions - how would that be possible without the court(s) having jurisdiction?

Roe Vs Wade was originally a decision handed down through capitol hill....... should not have gone court
ever. This is a healthcare matter.

Roe Vs Wade does not and never has forced any woman to have an abortion. It is a matter of choice.

Roe Vs Wade was originally a decision handed down through capitol hill....... should not have gone court

Roe Vs Wade does not and never has forced any woman to have an abortion. It is a matter of choice.

Do you have a link for that (bolded above) assertion?

Why should any woman vote Republican?

Well, there are other issues other than abortion.

Maybe some women do not like the woke policies that are being implemented, policies that may negatively impact the lives of their great-grandchildren.

Thread title makes no sense. Roe v. Wade is a judicial ruling. Obviously courts have jurisdiction over it.

Roe v. Wade, 410 U.S. 113 (1973), was a landmark decision of the U.S. Supreme Court in which the Court ruled that the Constitution of the United States protects a pregnant woman's liberty to choose to have an abortion without excessive government restriction.

s Madison

At the Constitutional Convention on September 17th, 1787, James Madison, known as the Founding Father formatted and wrote what we know as the US Constitution. All fifty-six delegates signed it, giving their unyielding approval.

Who Wrote The Constitution? Will the true author please stand ...​

https://constitutionus.com › constitution › who_wrote_the...

ROE V. WADE: ITS HISTORY AND IMPACT Supreme Court Finds Right to Choose Abortion

On January 22, 1973, the U.S. Supreme Court announced its decision in Roe v. Wade, a challenge to a Texas statute that made it a crime to perform an abortion unless a woman’s life was at stake. The case
had been filed by “Jane Roe,” an unmarried woman who wanted to safely and legally end her pregnancy.

Siding with Roe, the court struck down the Texas law. In its ruling, the court recognized for the first time that the constitutional right to privacy “is broad enough to encompass a woman’s decision whether or not to terminate her pregnancy” (Roe v. Wade, 1973).

Roe has come to be known as the case that legalized abortion nationwide. At the time the decision was handed down, nearly all states outlawed abortion except to save a woman’s life or for limited reasons such as preserving the woman’s health, or instances of rape, incest, or fetal anomaly.

Roe rendered these laws unconstitutional, making abortion services vastly safer and more accessible to women throughout the country. The decision also set a legal precedent that affected more than 30 subsequent Supreme Court cases involving restrictions on access to abortion.
Ruling Reflects American Traditions, Changing Times

To reach its decision in Roe, the Supreme Court drew on decades of case law that established that the government cannot interfere with certain personal decisions about procreation, marriage, and other aspects of family life. In Griswold v. Connecticut (1965), an appeal of the criminal conviction of the executive director of the Planned Parenthood League of Connecticut for providing contraceptives to married couples, the Supreme Court found that a state statute making it a crime to use birth control violated married couples’ right to privacy.

Seven years later, the justices found that this right also applied to single people (Eisenstadt v. Baird, 1972). Together, these cases set the stage for Roe.

Roe was also a reflection of the changing times. By the late 1960s, a nationwide effort was underway to reform the criminal abortion laws in effect in nearly every state.

Health care providers, women’s rights advocates, clergy members, and the legal community lobbied state legislatures and went to court to overturn statutes that had been in place since before the turn of the century.

Many of these laws dated back to the mid-1800s, when state legislatures moved to ban abortion despite this nation’s history since colonial times of allowing abortion prior to “quickening.” Between 1967 and 1973, four states — Alaska, Hawaii, New York, and Washington — repealed their abortion bans, while 13 others enacted limited reforms (Gold, 1990).

Even before Roe was decided, lawsuits challenging criminal abortion laws had begun to work their way through the courts in more than a dozen states.

A Constitutional Right Is Defined

In Roe, the Supreme Court found that a woman’s right to make her own decisions about her pregnancy deserves the highest level of constitutional protection.

The court also recognized that the right to privacy is not absolute and that a state has valid interests in safeguarding maternal health and protecting potential life.

A state may — but is not required to — prohibit abortion after viability, except when it is necessary to protect a woman’s life or health.

Thread title makes no sense. Roe v. Wade is a judicial ruling. Obviously courts have jurisdiction over it.
I think the argument being made is that abortion is a medical issue, not a legal one. America relies on a legal definition of abortion, not a medical one. So I ask you, if you were the one who needed an abortion, would you prefer to go to a lawyer for permission or a doctor who can answer any concerns you may have?

I think the argument being made is that abortion is a medical issue, not a legal one. America relies on a legal definition of abortion, not a medical one. So I ask you, if you were the one who needed an abortion, would you prefer to go to a lawyer for permission or a doctor who can answer any concerns you may have?
But what it said is not 'abortion should not be decided by the courts', it said courts should not have jurisdiction over the Roe v. Wade ruling. I addressed both. Courts can rule on medical procedures. Governments can pass laws on them; who's to decide if the laws violate rights except the court?

1650547348561.png

very interesting perception ........

for those who constantly raise hell about abortions should not get anyone pregnant, should not get pregnant and above all else never have an abortion. Next mind their own business.

Back
Top Bottom