• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

A corporation does the right thing!

I rarely shout the praises of corporate America. Having said that, huge kudos to the newly renamed Palisades Tahoe. Squaw Valley Ski Resort is no longer! Welcome Palisades Tahoe.

I saw that last night. It's a beautiful resort. Been there a few times. Love the new name.

Yeah, that name had to go.

Yeah, that name had to go.

I don't see anything wrong with the name. It is a name forever in common usage, no need to get all weird about it. Besides, the name has roots in a few East coast tribes in some various forms, and was then picked up by early colonists to the New England area. Whether the word was universally used by all American Indian tribes is not the point. No one or group of words from one Indian language was used by all Indians. The term basically mean woman/wife and that is all. In common the common English lexicon we would say "housewife" for a woman who was home tending to the children, the meals, and the laundry. Is housewife a racist term too?

I don't see anything wrong with the name. It is a name forever in common usage, no need to get all weird about it. Besides, the name has roots in a few East coast tribes in some various forms, and was then picked up by early colonists to the New England area. Whether the word was universally used by all American Indian tribes is not the point. No one or group of words from one Indian language was used by all Indians. The term basically mean woman/wife and that is all. In common the common English lexicon we would say "housewife" for a woman who was home tending to the children, the meals, and the laundry. Is housewife a racist term too?
Traditional or common usage doesn't mean right.

But if we change the name of a place, or a sports team, or remove a statue are we really not considering all of the people who didn't care that it was called Squaw Valley Ski resort?

How will children in the future learn about squaws if there are no places named squaw?

My daily usage of the word squaw is in jeopardy.

Back
Top Bottom