• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

A conservative alternative to Medicare for All

Well, I guess it's a sad world then, because you behave the exactly the same way. You have excess money that you could give away to people much poorer than you - but you don't. Instead, you keep those dollars for yourself. In your own life, compassion for fellow humans is trumped by a buck.

That's correct. If you tax me and give my money to a stranger in order to pay for his healthcare, then that is "providing healthcare to strangers".

Yea, I'm the one playing word games and you come up with "collective sphere" and "purposes of policy". Need I suggest where you can shove that collective sphere?

It doesn't make healhcare affordable to those who can't afford it. Ask anyone who has received a bill from a US hospital.

Nope. Makes no difference if he's a homeless bum or Jeff Bezos.

Taxes are used to pay for the government, whose responsibilities are determined by representatives elected by 'the people'.

See, no tax can please everyone. Some taxes will be used in ways you approve, others that you do not approve of.

The same is true for EVERYONE. That is the nature of taxation. What is, or what is not 'moral' is ultimately determined by voters, that's it, that's our system, take it or leave it.

I could say the same thing as you do about taxes I don't approve of, but i don't, because unlike you, I UNDERSTAND the collective nature of taxation.

I will go father than that, I'll will do down your shit worthy rabbit hole of propagandizing the issue, okay? I mean, that's where you want to take this, so, hold on to your pecker:

Those who do not understand the collective nature of taxation, 'for the greater good' which can NEVER please everyone, are dumb ass cruel fools whose objective is to kill americans who can't afford health care.

So, you put that where the sun doesn't shine, and while you are doing that, I got bad news for you

there are more of us, than there are of you.

We've all been waiting for the republican's replacement for Obamacare. This guy, Heath Mayo, has come up with one.

Better Care for All: A conservative alternative to Medicare for All | Pt. 1 | by Heath Mayo | Medium
Better Care for All: A conservative alternative to Medicare for All | Pt. 2 | by Heath Mayo | Medium
Better Care for All: A conservative alternative to Medicare for All | Pt. 3 | by Heath Mayo | Medium

Now I haven't had much of a chance to go over it so maybe some of the posters here who are more versed in the industry can take a look.

Believe it or not, more than a few whispering in Biden's ear seem to have adopted some of the ideas in Mr. Mayo's essay.
Not bad. Way too brief and exhibits a tendency to skip over specifics but a good start nonetheless.

Here's the one thing he gets right:

Then he makes the same mistake progressives make regarding healthcare:

So he uses the "emergency situation" straw man as evidence for inelastic demand in the market for healthcare, but emergency healthcare is less than 2% of the market, and even in emergency situations, bleeding, injured (but conscious) people will still shop for a ride to the hospital by taking an uber instead of using the local, price-gouging ambulance monopoly.

Note also in part 3, he forgets all the reasons he previously stated why people can't shop for healthcare:

No sh**.

Most healthcare is inelastic, not just emergency care.

Well, I guess it's a sad world then, because you behave the exactly the same way. You have excess money that you could give away to people much poorer than you - but you don't. Instead, you keep those dollars for yourself. In your own life, compassion for fellow humans is trumped by a buck.

That's correct. If you tax me and give my money to a stranger in order to pay for his healthcare, then that is "providing healthcare to strangers".

Yea, I'm the one playing word games and you come up with "collective sphere" and "purposes of policy". Need I suggest where you can shove that collective sphere?

It doesn't make healhcare affordable to those who can't afford it. Ask anyone who has received a bill from a US hospital.

Nope. Makes no difference if he's a homeless bum or Jeff Bezos.

Do you think he wont pay those taxes?

We've all been waiting for the republican's replacement for Obamacare. This guy, Heath Mayo, has come up with one.

Better Care for All: A conservative alternative to Medicare for All | Pt. 1 | by Heath Mayo | Medium
Better Care for All: A conservative alternative to Medicare for All | Pt. 2 | by Heath Mayo | Medium
Better Care for All: A conservative alternative to Medicare for All | Pt. 3 | by Heath Mayo | Medium

Now I haven't had much of a chance to go over it so maybe some of the posters here who are more versed in the industry can take a look.
Heath is on my follow list. I opened up the first link and it is a long read.

So the present Trump party won't accept it.

But I hope Heath holds out.

Most healthcare is inelastic, not just emergency care.

No it isn't. There is a huge industry called medical tourism, where sick and injured people shop the world for healthcare. If the demand for healthcare were inelastic, as you claim, these sick people wouldn't care about the price - but they do:

Now, many medical tourists are going the other way—from the United States to other countries to receive health care. In 2007, it is estimated that 750,000 Americans traveled to other countries for health care.

In 2017, more than 1.4 million Americans sought health care in a variety of countries around the world.

The reason more Americans have become medical tourists is simply that they are seeking less expensive health care.
Because we have the most expensive health care system in the world, it is not difficult to find countries that offer various procedures at 30%-65% of the cost of care in the United States.

Furthermore, even in emergency situations, where a person is bleeding and in pain, they still shop for a ride to the hospital, in order to avoid the local ass-raping, government-granted ambulance monopoly, which exists because of the progressive regulatory state:

“I've taken two passengers to the ER, one with a dislocated shoulder and another that was passing a kidney stone. Not a big deal, not difficult,” one driver in Pittsburgh said on a message board popular with Uber drivers.

Another talked about getting a call to an affluent Washington neighborhood the day after a 2016 snowstorm: “When I got there, to my (then) dismay, I see him literally dragging himself towards my car, hand on his chest, stating he was having chest pains and was getting dizzy,” the driver wrote. “I offered to call 911, as the hospital he wanted to go to was over 15 minutes away but he insisted for me to take him. Fortunately, I was able to get him to the hospital and he was admitted, but it made me wonder why someone in that situation would prefer an Uber over an ambulance -- the only rationale I can come up with is money.”

Healthcare is just like any other good or service where people can and do shop based on price and quality. If the demand for healthcare were inelastic, that would not be the case.

Back
Top Bottom