• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

A Christian health insurance scam left people with millions in unpaid bills.

Lisa

salem ac leporem,
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Sharity Ministries’ bankruptcy left over 10,000 Christian families with more than $50 million in unpaid bills. Suckers.
How many families have been screwed over by Christian “health insurance” companies that only the most devout believers can buy into?

Christianity Today offers an answer for one of those financial scams: 10,000+ families with unpaid bills totaling over $50 million. And that’s just for one company, Sharity Ministries (formerly Trinity HealthShare), which filed for bankruptcy last year.

Some background is useful here to understand how these companies work. Groups like Samaritan Ministries and Liberty HealthShare ask everyone in the system to pay a specific amount into the insurance pool every month… but the companies don’t collect all the cash or send it to health care providers. For a fee, the company simply tells individuals where to send their money (e.g. Bob from Nebraska) and how much to send. If you need something covered yourself, you make a request and the company will send your name to others in the pool.

That’s not really different from regular insurance, but it’s not regulated, not all services are covered, and the providers can cut you off at anytime if you become too expensive to insure. Even worse: If you do something they deem “immoral,” you won’t get any money at all. (Good luck getting that contraception. And you sure as hell can’t cover your same-sex partner.)

So everything is fine… until the moment you need them the most. Many participants don’t realize that until it’s too late.

Imagine that....

I ran benefits for a non profit I worked at, we had a new hire who was a major talibornagain (she used to preach, at work, endlessly, she didn't last long), but she refused our insurance, and raved about a Christian plan and said that god would take care of her. It was pretty hilarious, she deserved to be duped.

Imagine that....

I ran benefits for a non profit I worked at, we had a new hire who was a major talibornagain (she used to preach, at work, endlessly, she didn't last long), but she refused our insurance, and raved about a Christian plan and said that god would take care of her. It was pretty hilarious, she deserved to be duped.
I'm sure that they will pray to their omnipotent and omniscient God who saw this coming and did nothing to stop it or to protect his followers. Religion is the perfect scenario for suckers to get scammed.

Imagine that....

This isn't the first time for this. A woman that my parents managed an estate for got duped by an alleged "Christian" Investment fund . Earnings were to good to be true. They really were.

Imagine that....

@EnigmaO01

Lol - why would it be surprising for scammers to posture as "Christians?"
Hello? Look how many fall for it.

Pedophiles posture as coaches, boy scout leaders, daycare providers, priests.
Didn't Ted Bundy posture as a cripple to look harmless and "trustworthy?"

The key phrase with scammers is to look HARMLESS and LEGIT!
Hahaha

Arguably America’s most infamous serial killer, Bundy was a necrophile and rapist who lured his young female victims by pretending to be disabled or by posing as a police officer. He then viciously bludgeoned the victim into unconsciousness before transporting her to a remote location where he would rape and strangle her. Often he’d spend time with the corpse after death sometimes even revisiting the decomposing body days later to engage in sexual acts.

By your rationale (that she deserved to be duped and scammed) - I suppose Beefheart, you're saying, those women who got duped by Bundy had deserved to be butchered?
And I guess, Lisa agrees with you too, since she gave you a like for that.

Last edited:
@EnigmaO01

Arguably America’s most infamous serial killer, Bundy was a necrophile and rapist who lured his young female victims by pretending to be disabled or by posing as a police officer. He then viciously bludgeoned the victim into unconsciousness before transporting her to a remote location where he would rape and strangle her. Often he’d spend time with the corpse after death sometimes even revisiting the decomposing body days later to engage in sexual acts.

By your rationale (that she deserved to be duped and scammed) - I suppose Beefheart, you're saying, those women who got duped by Bundy had deserved to be butchered?
This has got to be one of your best responses.

How come post #1 doesn't exist? The OP isn't showing.

@EnigmaO01

Hahaha

So, the thread is about a scam insurance company.

And you got butthurt because it was a christian scam.

So, your response is Ted Bundy?

Wow, that's just sad.

So, the thread is about a scam insurance company.

And you got butthurt because it was a christian scam.

So, your response is Ted Bundy?

Wow, that's just sad.

I'm just showing the flaw in your logic.
It's not a CHRISTIAN scam.
It's a scam that had exploited Christianity! It was done by someone either pretending to be a Christian, or by a Christian who should know better.

What was done was ............................NOT CHRISTIAN!
Therefore......................... it's not a Christian scam!
That's the point!

It's like what Ted Bundy did when he pretended to be disabled, or a cop. Same MO.
MO - if you guys don't know - is for, Modus Operandi!

Lol - how hard is that to get?

hahaha - you guys got all excited because of what a Christian did (or someone pretending to be a Christian).
Like as if Christians are exempted from sinning!

It's a scam that had exploited Christianity! It was done by someone either pretending to be a Christian, or by a Christian who should know better.

That's the point!

It's like what Ted Bundy did when he pretended to be disabled, or a cop. Same MO.

hahaha - you guys got all excited because of what a Christian did (or someone pretending to be a Christian).
It was a christian scam, it targeted ignorant christians, and they got scammed.

Want me to draw a map for you?

It was a christian scam, it targeted ignorant christians, and they got scammed.

Want me to draw a map for you?

hahahahaha

Lol - I'm sure they won't turn away an atheist if the atheist wants to get insured.
They'd welcome Buddhists, Communists, or anyone who'd fall for it.

Anyway - it need not be a scam to find out that you're not covered for some reason. How many people complain about their insurance?
Not that I'm saying what was in the OP wasn't a real scam. There are scams too.

That's the point!

How do you know the scammers weren't practicing christians? Or part of some other religion?

We certainly have people here, who claim to be christians, who bear false witness every day.

hahahahaha

Lol - I'm sure they won't turn away an atheist if the atheist wants to get insured.
They'd welcome Buddhists, Communists, or anyone who'd fall for it.

Anyway - it need not be a scam to find out that you're not covered for some reason. How many people complain about their insurance?
Not that I'm saying what was in the OP wasn't a real scam. There are scams too.
You are just prattling now.

Keep it up, it is (unintentionally) hilarious.

They targeted ignorant christians.....because that is where the money is.

That's the point!

Christianity itself is a scam.

This isn't the first time for this. A woman that my parents managed an estate for got duped by an alleged "Christian" Investment fund . Earnings were to good to be true. They really were.
My rule is that any business or person that touts their religion as part of the sales pitch is to be avoided at all costs. If you tell me you are a "good Christian" then I assume you're a shyster. Etc. It serves me well. I know lots of devout people I respect a great deal, and I've found they tend to let their actions speak, not their words.

I could list a half dozen examples in my own life about why that's my rule. My only failing is sometimes I forget that if someone appeals to religion, treat them as a con man about to scam you. Always. I'm nearly 60 - maybe it will sink in eventually.

That's the point!

Being a Christian does not mean one will avoid sin for the rest of their lives. Not even Paul managed to do that.

One can be both a Christian and still do wrong.

My rule is that any business or person that touts their religion as part of the sales pitch is to be avoided at all costs. If you tell me you are a "good Christian" then I assume you're a shyster. Etc. It serves me well. I know lots of devout people I respect a great deal, and I've found they tend to let their actions speak, not their words.

I could list a half dozen examples in my own life about why that's my rule. My only failing is sometimes I forget that if someone appeals to religion, treat them as a con man about to scam you. Always. I'm nearly 60 - maybe it will sink in eventually.
Yes, you put your trust in BLM instead. Good thinking

Back
Top Bottom