• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

A Christian Argument for Gay Marriage

The Biblical concept of marriage is not how we conceive it today. From a Biblical perspective, women are property of their family until their husband's family pays a bride price and they are married to their husband. From then on, that woman is the property of her husband and husband's family. This is why rape is considered a property crime in the Bible. For example, Biblically, if a man were to rape a woman before she was married, he is to pay restitution to her family as she is now worthless to them having been raped. If she doesn't cry out while being raped, then she is to be stoned to death as that would mean she was obviously complicit (Never mind, her rapist could have held a knife to her throat). If she is impregnated by her rapist, then her rapist is to pay a bride price to the family and marry her.

My point in all of this is that there is no way you could have a Biblical gay marriage because such an arrangement was utterly inconceivable to the Bronze Age desert wanderers that originally wrote the Bible. See that's the thing, you have to put this in its Bronze Age historical perspective. The people that wrote the Bible would make the Taliban look Woke. Granted, 2000 years of Christianity has slowly sanitized and reformed the original beliefs, but you can count on them using those original beliefs anytime they want to pull the religion card with a group they don't like, like the gays.
Well, that certainly complicates gay marriage, but I think we can still make homosexuality work for bronze age desert religions, now that women are allowed to work for wages. Obviously gay men get to keep all their money instead of buying each other, but lesbians would have it a little bit harder - I guess gay women would have to either save up enough money to pay off both their families, or crowdsource their dowries. The childrearing part of gay marriage seems like the real stickler for Israelite marriage conventions, but then again, slavery was also legal in those days. Would it be possible for gay couples to use slaves as surrogates for the opposite sex in their relationships, to get their families to cool off with the panic about bloodlines? It seems kosher on paper, at least.

If that's true, then how come Baby Boomers keep posting cartoons about hating their wives? Eh? I'd like to see what internet memes you get your wacky idea of marriage from!

I don't have internet memes. :(

All I have is 30 years of lusting for my wife and car sex up in the Catalina mountains. :(

I don't have internet memes. :(

All I have is 30 years of lusting for my wife and car sex up in the Catalina mountains. :(
Well, you can't just base your worldview around anecdotal evidence like that. It's a little insulting that you tried to pull the wool over my eyes like that, if I'm being honest.

Well, you can't just base your worldview around anecdotal evidence like that. It's a little insulting that you tried to pull the wool over my eyes like that, if I'm being honest.

As a working scientist, I should know better.

But in my defense, I did it for the nookie, and God knows there's nothing I wouldn't do for the nookie.

But in my defense, I did it for the nookie, and God knows there's nothing I wouldn't do for the nookie.
While understandable, that's also unforgivable. Please DM me your full name and workplace so I may report you for using faulty methodology to describe your marriage.

89D1BE8D-24B8-4B0E-A08F-E839571748D8.jpeg
Nookie! Yes whenever i hear nookie my brain jumps to this weirdo.

Only if you repent and you have lied in threads, in posts to me, and not repented. I've even asked you to!
You are a liberal. Anyone who disagrees with you is hateful. Come back someday and we will talk when you mature. You are like Herod and Jesus didn't bother talking to him either.

You are a liberal. Anyone who disagrees with you is hateful. Come back someday and we will talk when you mature. You are like Herod and Jesus didn't bother talking to him either.

I am a liberal and a practicing Christian and I try very hard not to hate...it's a sin.

Hold up ol' buddy ol' pal o' mine, I never claimed to be a Christian. I just put myself in that headspace to make an interesting argument, and judging by some of the responses, it worked.

Not seeing any arguments there, broski. Come back when you've got some proper theology to back your belief.
Come back when you've got some scripture to back your belief.

Come back when you've got some scripture to back your belief.

God's Word is supported by many many scriptures. I'm surprised you dont know that.

Altho you do continue to deny His Word of compassion, brotherly love, forgiveness, and peace. Are you also claiming you are unaware of scriptures that elevate and praise those things? Yes or no?

I am a liberal and a practicing Christian and I try very hard not to hate...it's a sin.
GOD hates SIN. You should too. Question, isn't anal and oral sex a form of violence? It certainly doesn't seem the sort of thing you'd want a child to witness. Not very --- loving.

Psalm 11:5

The Lord tests the righteous, but his soul hates the wicked and the one who loves violence.

Psalm 5:5

The boastful shall not stand before your eyes; you hate all evildoers.

Proverbs 8:13

The fear of the Lord is hatred of evil. Pride and arrogance and the way of evil and perverted speech I hate.

GOD hates SIN. You should too. Question, isn't anal and oral sex a form of violence? It certainly doesn't seem the sort of thing you'd want a child to witness. Not very --- loving.

Psalm 11:5

The Lord tests the righteous, but his soul hates the wicked and the one who loves violence.

Psalm 5:5

The boastful shall not stand before your eyes; you hate all evildoers.

Proverbs 8:13

The fear of the Lord is hatred of evil. Pride and arrogance and the way of evil and perverted speech I hate.

And God's Word is against all of those negative things in the scriptures. Did you not understand that? Do you not have the definitions for compassion, brotherly love, forgiveness, peace? Certainly hate and pride and arrogance and violence are not showing brotherly love!

And of course those sex acts arent violence, obviously you've never experienced oral sex! And why would anal be any different from vaginal? What's different that makes the one 'violent' according to you?

Sorry, either you just lied or posted out of very real ignorance.

And God's Word is against all of those negative things in the scriptures. Did you not understand that? Do you not have the definitions for compassion, brotherly love, forgiveness, peace? Certainly hate and pride and arrogance and violence are not showing brotherly love!
GOD's WORD is everything in the scripture. Do you not have definitions for repentance, humility, joy, and longsuffering
And of course those sex acts arent violence, obviously you've never experienced oral sex! And why would anal be any different from vaginal? What's different that makes the one 'violent' according to you?
Obviously, you have never experienced vaginal sex? One was made for passing out waste, and the other was designed as a receptacle for the male sex organ. How many dogs insist on having anal sex... Even a dog has better sense than
Sorry, either you just lied or posted out of very real ignorance.
You are in a very dark place ---- I'll pray that GOD enlightens you to ALL HIS WORD ---- and not just those sections you agree with.

GOD's WORD is everything in the scripture. Do you not have definitions for repentance, humility, joy, and longsuffering

It's the overall Message, yes. And why did you choose those words? God's Word is brotherly love, compassion, forgiveness, and peace. Each of your words aligns well with His, I guess long-suffering would be tolerating something difficult from a love one and reacting always with compassion?

Obviously, you have never experienced vaginal sex?

Oh hell yeah I have and it could be very active or just warm and wonderful but it was not 'violent' as you called the other, that's why I asked you to explain why anal was violent and vaginal wasnt. Care to try again?

One was made for passing out waste, and the other was designed as a receptacle for the male sex organ. How many dogs insist on having anal sex... Even a dog has better sense than

So what? They can do double-duty. Women's vaginas also are the birth canals. You reallllly didnt think this thru, did you? 😆 😆 😆 Have you ever seen a birth? It's pretty gross actually....

You are in a very dark place ---- I'll pray that GOD enlightens you to ALL HIS WORD ---- and not just those sections you agree with.

I'm in a happy place where I try to uphold my commitment to God's Word. You continue to deny His Word I see and yet you cannot tell me a single thing where it's wrong. Not one. And anything that doesnt break that Word isnt a sin, no matter what 'invented' scriptures fallible men of the times came up with. You are the one that got suckered in on that, not me.

You act like it's easy to adhere to His Word...is it? Do you never break it once during the day? You are 100% compassionate, show brotherly love, forgive, work towards peace among those you interact with? I can tell you write now, your posts contain a dozen sins here every day! So I guess it's not that easy, eh?

Lursa is one of the least hateful and most Christian people on the forum because she follows the teachings of Jesus instead of just cherry-picking passages that support a certain political agenda.

You on the other hand seem to have a problem getting along with anyone who doesn't share your conservative political and theocratic religious beliefs. I'd look in the mirror before you start to accuse others of being hateful

The Biblical concept of marriage is not how we conceive it today. From a Biblical perspective, women are property of their family until their husband's family pays a bride price and they are married to their husband. From then on, that woman is the property of her husband and husband's family. This is why rape is considered a property crime in the Bible. For example, Biblically, if a man were to rape a woman before she was married, he is to pay restitution to her family as she is now worthless to them having been raped. If she doesn't cry out while being raped, then she is to be stoned to death as that would mean she was obviously complicit (Never mind, her rapist could have held a knife to her throat). If she is impregnated by her rapist, then her rapist is to pay a bride price to the family and marry her.

My point in all of this is that there is no way you could have a Biblical gay marriage because such an arrangement was utterly inconceivable to the Bronze Age desert wanderers that originally wrote the Bible. See that's the thing, you have to put this in its Bronze Age historical perspective. The people that wrote the Bible would make the Taliban look Woke. Granted, 2000 years of Christianity has slowly sanitized and reformed the original beliefs, but you can count on them using those original beliefs anytime they want to pull the religion card with a group they don't like, like the gays.
I agree with the bold part, but would go in a slightly different direction than you.

The word "marriage" is not in the actual texts. The word comes from the Old English word "mariage" from 1250-1300 CE. It is simply a translation and reinterpretation of what was written in Greek, Hebrew and Aramaic. The word marriage and its complex nature continues to evolve to fit today's societal norms.

I find it very silly that people still want to adhere to King James' definition of marriage. If you look deeper at original marriage, then that involves polygamy and incest.

To me, the real Christian argument for gay marriage would be for survival reasons. People are leaving the church over sex scandals and anti-LGBTQ stances.

To me, the real Christian argument for gay marriage would be for survival reasons. People are leaving the church over sex scandals and anti-LGBTQ stances.
At least some people are progressing beyond religious Bronze Age mentality. But I have yet to see a non-religious argument opposing same sex marriage. And religious based arguments are irrelevant, as our laws (including marriage rights/laws) are not based on religion nor does religion have any place or say in our secular laws.

At least some people are progressing beyond religious Bronze Age mentality. But I have yet to see a non-religious argument opposing same sex marriage. And religious based arguments are irrelevant, as our laws (including marriage rights/laws) are not based on religion nor does religion have any place or say in our secular laws.
Agreed. The right could have made this argument: Marriage = one man, one woman, Civil Unions = two people of the same sex. Same benefits, different name. However, the right not only refused to provide equal protection laws, but they were silent on divorce, silent on prisoners getting married, and silent on teenagers getting married. If marriage was truly about procreation, why were they fine with 70-year-olds getting married or infertile couples getting married? The courts eventually saw through the concept that denying marriage licenses to gay couples were (a) Discrimination based on sex, and (b) a violation of the equal protection clause within the 14th amendment.

Agreed. The right could have made this argument: Marriage = one man, one woman, Civil Unions = two people of the same sex. Same benefits, different name. However, the right not only refused to provide equal protection laws, but they were silent on divorce, silent on prisoners getting married, and silent on teenagers getting married.
It's basically separate, but equal, which is unconstitutional. Civil unions did not equate to marriage in all states either.
If marriage was truly about procreation, why were they fine with 70-year-olds getting married or infertile couples getting married? The courts eventually saw through the concept that denying marriage licenses to gay couples were (a) Discrimination based on sex, and (b) a violation of the equal protection clause within the 14th amendment.
Indeed. Marriage was never about procreation.

It's basically separate, but equal, which is unconstitutional. Civil unions did not equate to marriage in all states either.

Indeed. Marriage was never about procreation.
Correct. Separate, but equal never actually means equal. It is basically de facto inequality. Also keep in mind that marriage licenses are recognized on the federal level, but civil unions or domestic partnerships are not.

Correct. Separate, but equal never actually means equal. It is basically de facto inequality. Also keep in mind that marriage licenses are recognized on the federal level, but civil unions or domestic partnerships are not.
Exactly. That was the argument against proposals of civil unions over marriage for homosexuals.

Why exactly do conservative Christians even concern themselves with LGBT marriage when it doesn't pertain to them? The Obergefell v. Hodes has no application to churches or religion. I would have thought that religious conservatives would have figured that out in the past 7 years.

Back
Top Bottom