• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

A Brave New World.

OpportunityCost

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Its 7/9/13 so that means its time for the expansion of Civilization 5! A brave new world launches today with supposedly lots to do in the indstrial age besides treating borders as expansionist speed bumps :p

I still have a Civ IV BTS game going on for two years now, I really don't care for Civ V that much as of now. The stuff they add in brave new world are nice though.

Its 7/9/13 so that means its time for the expansion of Civilization 5! A brave new world launches today with supposedly lots to do in the indstrial age besides treating borders as expansionist speed bumps :p

Yes. I have to wait till Friday to get it unlocked on Steam.

the fact that there are different release times for digitally available games makes me cringe.

I'll be picking it up when I get home from work today. Can't wait. The reviews have been glowing so far.

I don't think any series of games have given me as much joy as the Civilization series....and the expansion packs always add so much to the experience.

I've read it. Once you get to a certain point in the game that I am playing, It's almost impossible to win. All victories are turned off except complete destruction of all the other Civs, and I did have 18 to contend with on Prince difficulty.
That sounds like a fun game. Civ IV was amazing with all the expansions. I can't criticize sticking to it.

39 steps to unpackaging for install.....

dang it :p

Yeah. the guy played the same game for 10 years. He must have went for the record, otherwise it's absurd.

Honestly, what is there to do for that long? I've never had a game of Civ go more than a couple of weeks at most before I win, often on multiple fronts. The last game I played, I started off with a Science victory, kept playing and had a Time victory, Domination victory and Cultural victory. Once you're the only one left on the board, what's there to do other than just watching time advance for the sake of watching time advance?

Yes. I have to wait till Friday to get it unlocked on Steam.

the fact that there are different release times for digitally available games makes me cringe.

Are you out of the US or something? I'm asking because I just installed the DLC via steam and the game is running just fine.

Are you out of the US or something? I'm asking because I just installed the DLC via steam and the game is running just fine.

Yep. I'm in Europe. We get delayed release times. Steam will unlock Civ 5 on Friday. Beats me why...

A question for other Civ players:

Have you noticed that the new DLC changes the dynamics of starting locations? I'm finding that the frequency of high production yield early game tiles (e.g. stone, gold fields) has been drastically reduced. Is this just bad luck, or did they nerf starting locations?

A question for other Civ players:

Have you noticed that the new DLC changes the dynamics of starting locations? I'm finding that the frequency of high production yield early game tiles (e.g. stone, gold fields) has been drastically reduced. Is this just bad luck, or did they nerf starting locations?

I think it depends on who you play. For example, starting as Brazil I notice that they are biased to starting in dense jungle areas, and frequently have little resources available to them (I sort of cheated and tried to restart a new map with them several times because I kept drawing a sea of jungle with limited resources). I have also played both Venice and Indonesia and they had the expected spread of resources at the start.

I think it depends on who you play. For example, starting as Brazil I notice that they are biased to starting in dense jungle areas, and frequently have little resources available to them (I sort of cheated and tried to restart a new map with them several times because I kept drawing a sea of jungle with limited resources). I have also played both Venice and Indonesia and they had the expected spread of resources at the start.

Ah, that explains it. I've been trying with Poland, and they seem heavily biased towards plains locations. That actually makes sense given that their specialty building is a modified stable (and that horses tend to show up on plains tiles).

Back
Top Bottom