• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

A Black man's (19yo) death was ruled a suicide a century ago. A coroner now says it was a lynching.

CaughtInThe

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Yeah, it seems it was a really hard call back in those days...

"...the Black man's body was found hanging from a sapling -- his hands bound together...

Dr. Paul Robinson, Marion County coroner in 1922, saw Tompkins' body soon after police reported it. "There could be no question that the man had been murdered and his body then tied to the tree," he said in local media reports at the time.

Tompkins was "dead or almost dead when he was hanged," Robinson said.
"

Amazing what law enforcement got away with especially with black people in this country :cry:

Just imagine how bad the cops were before cameras... and even when they know they are on camera they are killing people and violating rights.

Just imagine how bad the cops were before cameras... and even when they know they are on camera they are killing people and violating rights.

That's something that amazes me these days. Even though they know they're on camera they will just go ahead and do some kind of crap. I guess it's hoping their superiors will "realize" the body cam or dashcam was malfunctioning so it's all good. Of course in a lot of cases they can't be sure who else caught the incidents so they have to come clean.

That's something that amazes me these days. Even though they know they're on camera they will just go ahead and do some kind of crap. I guess it's hoping their superiors will "realize" the body cam or dashcam was malfunctioning so it's all good. Of course in a lot of cases they can't be sure who else caught the incidents so they have to come clean.
Same here. There seem to be three types of cops. Ones that actually don't know the law and are inept. Ones that don't give a shit about the law and violate rights. Ones that are super cool and chill and do a good job. Unfortunately, there are not enough of the third group, though it seems to be getting better.

When I hear of older cases and ones that sent a guy to jail for life based off of witness testimony or police statements I cringe. There have to be so many thousands of people that were completely screwed over by police... lives ruined. It still happens today, like we are saying... ON CAMERA, and that is amazingly sad.

Yeah, it seems it was a really hard call back in those days...

"...the Black man's body was found hanging from a sapling -- his hands bound together...

Dr. Paul Robinson, Marion County coroner in 1922, saw Tompkins' body soon after police reported it. "There could be no question that the man had been murdered and his body then tied to the tree," he said in local media reports at the time.

Tompkins was "dead or almost dead when he was hanged," Robinson said.
"

Something is odd about that death certificate. How was the font on top, the guys name, produced in 1922? Did someone write it with a calligraphy pen?

Something is odd about that death certificate. How was the font on top, the guys name, produced in 1922? Did someone write it with a calligraphy pen?
A wild guess is that it was scanned and titled. But I really have no idea.

If white people dont think its going to happen to them once the cops get done with black people, they are sorely mistaken.

The dehumanization that happens to one set of people will eventually cascade to another.

Same here. There seem to be three types of cops. Ones that actually don't know the law and are inept. Ones that don't give a shit about the law and violate rights. Ones that are super cool and chill and do a good job. Unfortunately, there are not enough of the third group, though it seems to be getting better.

When I hear of older cases and ones that sent a guy to jail for life based off of witness testimony or police statements I cringe. There have to be so many thousands of people that were completely screwed over by police... lives ruined. It still happens today, like we are saying... ON CAMERA, and that is amazingly sad.
I think that was the point of this endless competition over toughness on crime too.

all the jury nullification of killers was a huge disgrace in our history.

wait. can we talk about that??
Discussing what a horrid shithole this country was seems an obsession with the left. Odd.

Discussing what a horrid shithole this country was seems an obsession with the left. Odd.
I always watch for the 1st post from a person in a thread like this. I feel like it's a great indication of who they are and what's in their heart.

I do wanna thank you for your concern for the victim and his family though.

I always watch for the 1st post from a person in a thread like this. I feel like it's a great indication of who they are and what's in their heart.

I do wanna thank you for your concern for the victim and his family though.
The victim and his immediate family have been dead for a century.

The victim and his immediate family have been dead for a century.
1st, thanks for bumping this thread. I think it's important for everybody to see our history.

2nd, are you against this reversal on the death certificate?

1st, thanks for bumping this thread. I think it's important for everybody to see our history.

2nd, are you against this reversal on the death certificate?
3rd Really couldn't care either way. Sure fix his death certificate if it make you feel better.

3rd Really couldn't care either way. Sure fix his death certificate if it make you feel better.
👆 "Really couldn't care either way"

In another style of handwriting, the manner of death was changed from "open" to say "suicide," according to a written petition to change Tompkins' death certificate.

Amazing what law enforcement got away with especially with black people in this country :cry:

That's just the people they murdered and abused, what about all the black people they threw in prison so they can continue to work as slaves. Just get a white women to claim they raped or attacked them and that was all it took to throw them in jail. Shoot, that garbage is still happening today in our justice system

Back
Top Bottom