• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

A better world without American Revolution

RobertU

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
The world might have been a better place if the American Revolution had never happened, according to Andrew Roberts, author of The Last King of America: The Misunderstood Reign of George III.

In a review of the book in the February 7, 2022, edition of National Review, Roberts is quoted: “a world in which the American Revolution never took place could have been one in which a united British-American global empire would have been far too powerful for Kaiser Wilhelm II to threaten war in 1914, so no Bolshevik Revolution, no Adolf Hitler, no Cold War.” He also suggested, “British and Canadian liberals joining with Northern abolitionists might have voted to abolish slavery in the 1830s or 1840s, sparing the United States its Civil War.”

As a believer in the Multiverse, I suspect Roberts’ alternative timeline exists somewhere.

The world might have been a better place if the American Revolution had never happened, according to Andrew Roberts, author of The Last King of America: The Misunderstood Reign of George III.

In a review of the book in the February 7, 2022, edition of National Review, Roberts is quoted: “a world in which the American Revolution never took place could have been one in which a united British-American global empire would have been far too powerful for Kaiser Wilhelm II to threaten war in 1914, so no Bolshevik Revolution, no Adolf Hitler, no Cold War.” He also suggested, “British and Canadian liberals joining with Northern abolitionists might have voted to abolish slavery in the 1830s or 1840s, sparing the United States its Civil War.”

As a believer in the Multiverse, I suspect Roberts’ alternative timeline exists somewhere.
I, for one, am still glad it happened.

A world where the various European empires sustained their reach would have meant all the South American, African and Asian countries that won their freedom in the last century would continue to suffer under the iron grip of colonial occupation at the whim of some obese remote King--including the totality of all my ancestors.

Nope, I'm glad this never happened, and I'm glad people like my parents grew up free.

Humans would have probably figured out equally horrible things to do to each other regardless of borders and generally agreed on country names.

A world where the American Revolution never happened changes a LOT. Arguing that there wouldn’t have been a First World War, however, is silly. Europe was a powder keg itching for an excuse to go off, and there was no shortage of fuses. Furthermore, with the additional profits from southern plantations, claiming Britain would still have been as interested in early abolitionism is deeply questionable. Furthermore, the South was never going to give up slavery without a fight.

Rather than fantasizing about a world that didn't happen - let alone waste his time writing a book about it - Mr. Roberts might be better engaged to purchase an X-Box or Playstation and actively live it.

Silly babble from Mr. Roberts.
No country has brought the freedom and opportunity that the United States has.
That is all.

Does Roberts explain how we were supposed to avoid the American Revolution?

That is all ridiculous, you cannot take one event out of it and then say several things would never have happened. The British had an ENTIRE empire in 1914 and it still did not stop the war. One more country would not have mattered especially as the US would have not been the country it was in 1914. The revolution and the American spirit (with all it's faults towards African Americans, Native Americans and other things) created a country with a certain gust for life, trade and inventiveness that would never have existed if it had been kept down by the English Royals and the English doctrines.

I've met many a Brit who has complained to me about how ungrateful the American colonists were to have made such a stink over taxes being used to fund Britain's ongoing war against the French. The claim was that without England fighting the French, North America would have been just another French colony from the Atlantic to eventually the Rockies, and then the West still remaining part of Spain.

A Brit makes the argument that... "well, Canada isn't such a bad place is it, and they didn't need to fight a revolution for independence did they?" I will counter with, "yeah, because England learned with America that if they didn't change their governance, then Canada could very well at some point just up and break off, and the US would support them....with the help of the French too.

But still I will ask these pretentious Brits, well, look how you all have treated Ireland, a nation of people too close to England and not powerful enough to have overcome British dominance? You have always treated Ireland and the Irish like shit, and still do (refuse to return Northern Ireland to the Irish), so we are glad we threw off the shackles of British imperial bullshit when we had the best opportunity to do so.

Too me the notion that any European monarchy/empire would ever be capable of relinquishing power without the threat of war is laughable. The British Empire was never brought to their knees until WW2 forced them to their knees. And one of FDRs best moves to was to allow Britain to languish just long enough so that there was enough transfer of wealth and power from Britain to America so that after Germany was defeated the world would no longer be under the British boot ever again.

Stupidly after WW2 we Americans believed that we should become the world police force, and in our own way awkwardly filled the void created by a declining British empire with our own form of uninspired attempts at controlling other nations... often for the same raw materials and oil the British had been controlling. None of that went well for us in the end, and now America is hated in many parts of the world more that Britain is. Funny how that worked out. I meet Irish folks who hate America more than they hate England today.

Nobody should ever underestimate the diabolical passive/aggressive nature of the British Imperialist mindset. They were NEVER altruistic at all. The British Empire was the new Roman empire, but the Brits always claimed to gloss it over with a "proper civilized nature" which was bullshit. At least when the Romans were being brutal dominators, they didn't claim to be doing it "for the good of the conquered". Rome did everything for the good of Rome/Romans, same way the British Imperialists always did anyway.

joinordie456.jpg

No one seems interested in the treatment of the "colonies of the New World" by King George, I guess.
Surprising the number of monarchists in this forum.

Not explained in the National Review book review; maybe it's in the book.
That's a problem. I love a good "What if?" as much as the next person, but asking what if there hadn't been an American Revolution is like asking what if Napoleon hadn't invaded Russia--it's the same as asking "What if Napoleon hadn't been Napoleon?" Given the attitudes and beliefs on both sides of the Atlantic, once the French were turfed out of North America a rebellion was almost certainly inevitable--one side or the other would have had to have multiple people in positions of power radically alter their way of looking at the world to avoid it.

Rather than fantasizing about a world that didn't happen - let alone waste his time writing a book about it - Mr. Roberts might be better engaged to purchase an X-Box or Playstation and actively live it.
Or watch the Sliders episode where the American Revolution failed and Britain still ruled America.

Or watch the Sliders episode where the American Revolution failed and Britain still ruled America.
Now that is a much more believable "what if," at least insofar as the failure itself is concerned.

I like. 👍

An entertaining version of "what if" history.

Andrew is an idiot.... Much of the world was doing well but the emergence of the USA as a power, militarily and morally, changed the world for the better

Irony...

Does Roberts explain how we were supposed to avoid the American Revolution?
By simply paying the taxes that Americans were asked to pay that were far less than those of the English...??

By simply paying the taxes that Americans were asked to pay that were far less than those of the English...??
Ah, so the colonists were supposed to just accept Parliament's violation of what many of them thought were their own rights and freedoms, got it. That was never an option.

Ah, so the colonists were supposed to just accept Parliament's violation of what many of them thought were their own rights and freedoms, got it. That was never an option.
That is what most British subjects did. The Americans paid less in taxes than those in Britain and other colonies and were represented by virtual representation just like tones of British living in Britain.

So youre trying to be this guy...

Screenshot 2022-03-15 at 00-57-53 The Patriot (2000).png

Back
Top Bottom