• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

A Better Glenn Beck Thread.

Because of the images.. It's the images that scare the hell out of democrats. All those God fearin people coming to Washington scares the hell out of them. Why? Because the liberal wing of the democratic party mocks them at every turn, demeans them, maginalizes them, and never before that I can remember, have they fought back like they did on 8/28.

They showed the dims that they ain't takin it anymore, and that they're going to do something about it come November.

Tim-

And nothing about that seems political to you? You're explicity suggesting that the rally will have political consequences in November, but still maintaining the non-political nature of the rally.

I give up.

Wait, 500,000 people attending a Beck rally "scares liberals"? But I thought it was a completely non-political event? Why would one side be concerned about how many people attended?

I don't know, ask the ones who keep making threads about Glenn Beck and his rally.

A Glenn Beck audience tends to lean right. That doesn't make it political.

**** I just read 30 ****ing pages on another thread of the same bull****, now another 8 on this one. Libs, please stop making Glenn Beck threads. Can you do it? For A WHOLE WEEK don't make a single GB thread. Can you accept the challenge? I can promise there are 30 GB threads for every one about Rachel Maddow, Kieth Olbermann, or whoever else is on the left out there. People on the right DON'T OBSESS about these people like those on the left do. All you do is make yourself out to be a partisan hack with all these threads.

If I was a lefty I'd be ashamed of the behavior of those on the left on this forum. This is flat out getting out of hand, this is obsession!

Last edited:
To what portions are you referring?

Considering that you're the one accusing Glenn Beck of inappropriately claiming MLK's mantle, why are you asking me to show you where Glenn Beck associated himself with MLK? If he listed the parts of MLK's legacy that he agreed with, then there's your answer. If he didn't, then this whole thread has been pointless.

Textualism, as I've argued elsewhere, is impossible. What words mean is completely subjective. I believe that state-sanctioned murder in the form of capital punishment is "cruel and unusual." A perfectly rational case, however, can be made that it is not. It depends entirely on what the readers themselves believe to be "cruel and unusual."

And if judicial interpretation were about determining what those words mean to you in the here and now, you would be right. However, whether you or I disagree about what the meaning of "cruel and unusual" should be is completely irrelevant in the context of discussing what the law is, which is the purpose of textualism.

In any case, any credibility Scalia and his ilk ever had went out the window when they decided Bush v. Gore, and all conveniently forgot that they believed in state's rights when it meant their candidate would lose.

"States rights" has nothing to do with textualism per se, and the issues in Bush v. Gore were far more complex than simply "textualism v. living constitutionalism." This has been done to death on this site, but suffice it to say that this is overly simplistic.

Which is why originalism is morally bankrupt. Judicial decisions have consequences for people living today, here and now. Not considering "the current situation" pretends that they don't, which can have plenty of negative implications.

And that's certainly one argument.

Breyer and Co. realize that, to quote Robert Jackson, the Constitution in not a suicide pact. Societies evolve and change. While the basic spirit of the Constitution remains in tact, our interpretation of it must change to suit the needs of the day.

And again, that's certainly one argument. Like I said above, the textualism v. living constitutionalism argument has been done to death on this site and I have no real interest in rekindling it again.

**** I just read 30 ****ing pages on another thread of the same bull****, now another 8 on this one. Libs, please stop making Glenn Beck threads. Can you do it? For A WHOLE WEEK don't make a single GB thread. Can you accept the challenge? I can promise there are 30 GB threads for every one about Rachel Maddow, Kieth Olbermann, or whoever else is on the left out there. People on the right DON'T OBSESS about these people like those on the left do. All you do is make yourself out to be a partisan hack with all these threads.

Why do you assume that only people on the left think Beck is train wreck of propaganda and idiocy?

One thing I've always wondered about Glenn Beck (while avoiding watching his show, or navigating to his website with fear of giving him money). How does someone who was pretty much a waste of life until their early thirties, if not longer, (Glenn has admitted to being an alcoholic and a drug addict for well over a decade of his life, which led him to almost committing suicide, and was a potential cause of losing his first wife) qualify to give advice to anyone about political issues? Why is he idolized as much as he seems to be from far right individuals? Beyond that, he has no college degree and has only taken one college level course, which was on religion. It's probably about time people realize this guy is a highly unqualified fraud.

I do admire him for one thing, he has managed to make a fortune off of his from the hip rants which are typically about absolutely nothing as far as I can tell. Approx. 32 million a year in earnings with no college degree, and 6 best selling books, while having no qualifications to write about or discuss the topics he is best known for discussing. It is a very impressive feat.

One thing I've always wondered about Glenn Beck (while avoiding watching his show, or navigating to his website with fear of giving him money). How does someone who was pretty much a waste of life until their early thirties, if not longer, (Glenn has admitted to being an alcoholic and a drug addict for well over a decade of his life, which led him to almost committing suicide, and was a potential cause of losing his first wife) qualify to give advice to anyone about political issues? Why is he idolized as much as he seems to be from far right individuals? Beyond that, he has no college degree and has only taken one college level course, which was on religion. It's probably about time people realize this guy is a highly unqualified fraud.

I do admire him for one thing, he has managed to make a fortune off of his from the hip rants which are typically about absolutely nothing as far as I can tell. Approx. 32 million a year in earnings with no college degree, and 6 best selling books, while having no qualifications to write about or discuss the topics he is best known for discussing. It is a very impressive feat.

I only ask.... what qualifies someone to talk about these things?

A silly college degree that says I listened to some lectures, and paid a **** ton of money for sheepskin on paper? Do you realize a college degree means "I put in my time and money" in most people's cases, and nothing more?

A silly college degree that says I listened to some lectures, and paid a **** ton of money for sheepskin on paper? Do you realize a college degree means "I put in my time and money" in most people's cases, and nothing more?

Don't have a college degree, huh? From the way you worded that, NO WAY IN HELL have you been to a real college. You wouldn't survive a single 400 level college course, much less a semester of them.

Why do you assume that only people on the left think Beck is train wreck of propaganda and idiocy?

Because they're the only ones who make threads about him on this forum? They're the only ones obsessing about the man?

Last edited:

I very much realize that, I'm a reasonably successful individual (for my age) and I do not have a college-degree. Although I am pursuing one. While it is stating "I put in my time and money"; There is more to that sentence that was left out, "I put in my time and money, learning from people who are knowledgeable in my field, so that I can enter that field having learned from active professionals and scholars." Anyone can see that politics is a complex beast, it takes a lot of dedication and understanding to know the intricacies and the short-falls of it.

To act as if a college degree means nothing and does nothing to speak to the qualification and intelligence of the individual holding it is akin to saying. What does a silly High School Diploma mean? "I put in my time and many other peoples money" and nothing more? How much weight would you put on someone telling you how to run a country without a high school diploma? Would you vote someone in to be president who only had a GED and some-college at a community college? Even closer to Glenn would you listen to someones opinions on how you should run your life if you knew they didn't graduate high school?

I would say you are qualified to discuss political issues once you have demonstrated committing an adequate amount of time to researching the issues in which you prefer to discuss. I linked politifacts page on Glenn in another forum, showing that of the 18 statements they assessed 2/3 of them were less than half-true. This is a reasonable demonstration of him not committing adequate time to researching the issues he is discussing. Or, maybe it just means something else, I'm not sure, I didn't read over what he was lying about and what he was truthful about on the site. I could be taking the statistic out of context.

I won't say a college degree is required to discuss any topic, but adequate research in my opinion should be a requirement. Once someone is shown to have lied about, misinterpreted, or misquoted statistics without qualifying their lack of knowledge at the same time, on a semi-regular basis, it is probably time that person no longer be allowed to spout off these concepts to people publicly. At least until they can prove some level of dignity and honor and a commitment to honesty.

The fact that a circus clown like Glenn Beck makes 30 million a year speaks volumes about the extreme dumbing down of Americans over the past 40 years. He's a sideshow act....Max Keiser nails it in this clip....

Keiser Report: Glenn Beck ‘Soupy Sales’ TV Clown!

Beck is a modern day Soupy Sales...Anyone who takes him seriously as a political expert or role model is an imbecile at best.

If you want some expert world political commentary, switch from the mind numbing FOX-CNN-MSNBC and their phony left right paradigm to the only network on the air who speaks truth to power....RT...

If the attendance had been 10 million, it is still a very small minority. The only purpose Beck serves is to help fracture the GOP, thus making it easier for Obama to get a second term....

The fact that a circus clown like Glenn Beck makes 30 million a year speaks volumes about the extreme dumbing down of Americans over the past 40 years. He's a sideshow act....Max Keiser nails it in this clip....

Beck is a modern day Soupy Sales...Anyone who takes him seriously as a political expert or role model is an imbecile at best.

If you want some expert world political commentary, switch from the mind numbing FOX-CNN-MSNBC and their phony left right paradigm to the only network on the air who speaks truth to power....RT...

Keep repeating it.. :)

Oh, what does that make Al Franken then? Bozo the clown? :)

Tim-

Don't have a college degree, huh? From the way you worded that, NO WAY IN HELL have you been to a real college. You wouldn't survive a single 400 level college course, much less a semester of them.

I think Caine is largely right on this one. College in and of itself no longer really indicates much about someone's intelligence. There are plenty of schools out there where the "400 level courses" would be easier than the intro courses at better schools. If someone tells me "I went to college," it doesn't improve my impression of their intellect. If they say "I went to [good college] where I majored in [difficult subject] and graduated with [a good GPA]," then that's something else entirely.

Yea, because if you want to get the real truth, you need to watch a Russian state-sponsored propaganda network.

Seriously?

Yea, because if you want to get the real truth, you need to watch a Russian state-sponsored propaganda network.

Seriously?

Russia Today is reminicent of the old Radio Free Europe that used to broadcast into Stalin's USSR....You can dismiss them as a propaganda outfit, but right now, sadly Russia and the US are moving in opposite directions. The US is slowly turning into the new Soviet Union while Russia is moving in the other direction towards freedom. The coverage and commntary on RT is excellent, especially when compared to the three networks for halfwits here in the US (FOX, CNN, & MSNBC, which are all the same crap with a slightly different spin). The old "Left vs Right" crap spewd endlessly by the three stooges of US media is just another variation of the old "good cop, bad cop" ruse. I am very encouraged by the fact that RT is widely available on US cable channels already. Max Keiser is on target and quite entertaining. Hopefully this will be a new beginning for US media.

Cheers

Russia Today is reminicent of the old Radio Free Europe that used to broadcast into Stalin's USSR....You can dismiss them as a propaganda outfit, but right now, sadly Russia and the US are moving in opposite directions. The US is slowly turning into the new Soviet Union while Russia is moving in the other direction towards freedom. The coverage and commntary on RT is excellent, especially when compared to the three networks for halfwits here in the US (FOX, CNN, & MSNBC, which are all the same crap with a slightly different spin). The old "Left vs Right" crap spewd endlessly by the three stooges of US media is just another variation of the old "good cop, bad cop" ruse. I am very encouraged by the fact that RT is widely available on US cable channels already. Max Keiser is on target and quite entertaining. Hopefully this will be a new beginning for US media.

Cheers

edit: No point.

Best of luck to you.

Really? So you know what I would survive based upon my opinion that college isn't a requirement to have knowledge on a subject??? You must be a wizard!! So what your saying is that Bill Gates is not qualified to talk about computers......

Really? So you know what I would survive based upon my opinion that college isn't a requirement to have knowledge on a subject??? You must be a wizard!! So what your saying is that Bill Gates is not qualified to talk about computers......

So what you are saying is that you would be willing to have a heart surgeon operate on you with a college?

Certainly Bill Gates knows about computers but is not a computer science genius.

He has an honorary Harvard degree. That counts for something...

Anyone can see that politics is a complex beast, it takes a lot of dedication and understanding to know the intricacies and the short-falls of it.
Politics isn't something that can be taught. It has to be learned through experience and observation. Being taught just leads to being influenced in ones political thought process rather than actually learning.

To act as if a college degree means nothing and does nothing to speak to the qualification and intelligence of the individual holding it is akin to saying. What does a silly High School Diploma mean?
Depends on the specialty. Alot of them are either useless, or something you can train yourself in 90% savings of money and time. Take "criminal justice" majors. "Business management" majors, etc.

How much weight would you put on someone telling you how to run a country without a high school diploma?
Depends on what they had to say......What they SAY is more important than some document that they would have earned 25+ years ago.
Would you vote someone in to be president who only had a GED and some-college at a community college?
See: Harry Truman.
Even closer to Glenn would you listen to someones opinions on how you should run your life if you knew they didn't graduate high school?
Again, depends on what they had to say. Just because someone didn't graduate high school doesn't mean that haven't learned through those hard experiences what NOT to do.... Sounds like I would take that persons's advice OVER some shrewd person who goes around thinking their college degree automatically makes what they say more important.

I would say you are qualified to discuss political issues once you have demonstrated committing an adequate amount of time to researching the issues in which you prefer to discuss. I linked politifacts page on Glenn in another forum, showing that of the 18 statements they assessed 2/3 of them were less than half-true. This is a reasonable demonstration of him not committing adequate time to researching the issues he is discussing. Or, maybe it just means something else, I'm not sure, I didn't read over what he was lying about and what he was truthful about on the site. I could be taking the statistic out of context.

I won't say a college degree is required to discuss any topic, but adequate research in my opinion should be a requirement. Once someone is shown to have lied about, misinterpreted, or misquoted statistics without qualifying their lack of knowledge at the same time, on a semi-regular basis, it is probably time that person no longer be allowed to spout off these concepts to people publicly. At least until they can prove some level of dignity and honor and a commitment to honesty.

He is a pundit. Tell me a pundit, or hell even a politician, who doesn't talk in half-truths.....

His lack of a college education has nothing to do with that.

So what you are saying is that you would be willing to have a heart surgeon operate on you with a college?

Certainly Bill Gates knows about computers but is not a computer science genius.

Where did I mention anything about heart surgery?
I just asked where someone got the idea that they knew what I was capable of in life (being able to survive 400 level college courses) based upon my opinion that a college degree isn't a requirement to have knowledge and engage in....a discussion about a particular subject.

Can you show me where I said anything anywhere about having my chest cut open?

Are you mentally capable of following this discussion? Or just trying to throw stupid **** in the mix?

If the attendance had been 10 million, it is still a very small minority. The only purpose Beck serves is to help fracture the GOP, thus making it easier for Obama to get a second term....

Here's hoping :)

Are you mentally capable of following this discussion? Or just trying to throw stupid **** in the mix?

I was responding to your red herring.

Politics isn't something that can be taught. It has to be learned through experience and observation. Being taught just leads to being influenced in ones political thought process rather than actually learning.

You have a great point there, although I would disagree that all variations of being taught lead to a political bias. It is important to take some political history courses, and some civics courses. Which give you an understanding of the system, how it got here, and why it is the way it is. I agree more than anyone that independent study has its place, I have tested out of college level courses every chance I've got, due to independent study. It can be more efficient, and saves time and money. But, not every person has the capacity for effective independent study. Plus, you do miss out on not only learning the subject, but learning the experience the instructor has with the subject, when being formally taught (assuming you have a good instructor, which is not always the case)

Depends on the specialty. Alot of them are either useless, or something you can train yourself in 90% savings of money and time. Take "criminal justice" majors. "Business management" majors, etc.

I agree college degrees are more or less relevant depending on the specialty they are in. There are majors that are a blatant waste of money. That does not change the concept that having a Bachelors degree and especially having a Masters or Doctorate degree speaks to how intelligent a person is about a specific subject. If I met someone with a PHD in criminal justice or business management, I would probably safely assume that individual is well suited to teach me a thing or two about those topics. So, not only does relevance rise or fall in relation to the major of the individual, but also with how deeply a person goes into their educational career. At least in my opinion.

Depends on what they had to say......What they SAY is more important than some document that they would have earned 25+ years ago.

Again, depends on what they had to say. Just because someone didn't graduate high school doesn't mean that haven't learned through those hard experiences what NOT to do.... Sounds like I would take that persons's advice OVER some shrewd person who goes around thinking their college degree automatically makes what they say more important.

This is an over-simplification. But, what they say is obviously paramount. However, someone with a degree in law, who has been a lawyer for 25 years, is probably far more qualified to be the next Supreme Court justice, than someone who has never been a lawyer, who has not studied law formally, and has not passed their bar exam, but has talked to people about law on a regular basis. Putting something over that time frame its only reasonable to assume that the person with the degree has been working in their field for that many years. If you extrapolate this, the odds are the individual with the degree is much more knowledgeable and well-suited to give advice. Even in the case of less important degrees, like those you referenced earlier.

See: Harry Truman.

You definitely got me here, but, what are the odds that in the modern era someone without a degree got elected? (actually not that bad, including all presidents; about 22% of them haven't had a degree. Although, that is inflated due to college educations not being a norm in the early days of the US) I will say, times were different then, from what they are now. But, by the sounds of it, he was a farmer, turned senator, turned president. Who got elected based on his being a normal guy. Which is semi-similar to why many people say George W. Bush got elected.

He is a pundit. Tell me a pundit, or hell even a politician, who doesn't talk in half-truths.....

His lack of a college education has nothing to do with that.

I'm not saying his lack of college education is why he is often found to be misleading or lying. Nor am I saying that having a college education automatically makes you an honest person on all topics. I agree that lying is the name of the game in politics, its disgraceful and repulsive, but true. I will say however, that I stick to my previous statement, once a person is found to be repeatedly abusing the public with lies and half-truths they should be banned from national public broadcast until they regain some credibility with the public. By extension, I think it is absurd that people give a damn what Glenn Beck says based on his high level of half-truths, non-truths, and partial-truths. It sickens me to see him throwing a rally and giving advice to more than 100K people, politifact has not yet published their article on the restoring honor rally, but I'll read over it at that point. But based on his track record, I'm going to assume there are more lies than truths.

Me personally, if I am presented with two 20 year olds, one with a bachelors degree in the subject we are talking about, and one with 4 years experience working the field we are discussing. I will probably take the advice of the one with the experience. If I am presented with two 40 year olds, in the same position, but one has 24 years experience and one has 20 years experience. I will probably take the advice from the one with the degree. That's just me though.

But, this discussion deviates from my original topic that Glenn Beck is unqualified to give people life advice, or to tell people how to "restore honor" to America. Up until 10 years ago the only experience he had was with offending the public and getting fired from various radio stations. I guess he found his identity with conservatives around that time, and went on to use incendiary statements and powerful rhetoric to build up a following. So, people just watch in awe of what he's saying because it echoes their often uneducated fears about society. Most of the time, aren't we all just looking for some confirmation about our personal opinions of things that go on around us? I don't blame him for doing what he does, if I could get rich spouting off crap to people, I would probably do it too. But, what he is doing is certainly not news and should be presented with a disclaimer at the beginning of his broadcast that most of things he says are fictitious opinionated assumptions based on a set of loose facts.

I do want to correct myself, since I referenced Bill Gates honorary Harvard degree. Glenn Beck also received an honorary degree from Liberty University (...the largest and fastest growing Christian Evangelical university in the world... for those of you who have also never heard of this school) in 2010.

Back
Top Bottom