• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

A 911 every day from malaria

robin

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
I just saw a BBC programme about malaria. It really made me think. They mentioned that every day 3000 people, mostly children, die from malaria.

Yet look at the caffuffle four years down the line from 911...
You now have 100,000 of your troops fighting a war on terror in a country that was not responsible for 911.
America has responded to 911 like a rampaging elephant that's rampaged into the wrong country.
Tens of thousands of Iraqis have been killed as a result.
This is totally out of proportion to what happened & it's in the wrong place.
It hasn't even made the world any safer from terrorism. In fact it may even incite more in the end.
It's cost $200 billion so far. That's many many many times more than the amount spent on the war on malaria.
Yet there is a 911 death toll every single day, year in year out, in the third world from malaria.
The world is mad
banghead.gif

Last edited:
robin said:
I just saw a BBC programme about malaria. It really made me think. They mentioned that every day 3000 people, mostly children, die from malaria.

Yet look at the caffuffle four years down the line from 911...
You now have 100,000 of your troops fighting a war on terror in a country that was not responsible for 911.
America has responded to 911 like a rampaging elephant that's rampaged into the wrong country.
Tens of thousands of Iraqis have been killed as a result.
This is totally out of proportion to what happened & it's in the wrong place.
It hasn't even made the world any safer from terrorism. In fact it may even incite more in the end.
It's cost $200 billion so far. That's many many many times more than the amount spent on the war on malaria.
Yet there is a 911 death toll every single day, year in year out, in the third world from malaria.
The world is mad
banghead.gif

Yeah, & there are approximately 3000 abortions per day as well.

A large number of abortions are on medical grounds such as to save the mother's life or the child is seriously defective & would be a burden on the healthcare system for 70 years or suffer the pain of an unpleasant early death due to a congenital abnormality.

robin said:
A large number of abortions are on medical grounds such as to save the mother's life or the child is seriously defective & would be a burden on the healthcare system for 70 years or suffer the pain of an unpleasant early death due to a congenital abnormality.

...& where did you read this drivel...?...

So you believe 100% of abortions are for convenience, just a form of late contraception ?

I see it more as late responsibility.

Gandhi>Bush said:
I see it more as late responsibility.
So people are supposed to be clairvoyant & know a child is deformed before it's conceived ?

Shame this thread went so rapidly off topic

robin said:
So people are supposed to be clairvoyant & know a child is deformed before it's conceived ?

So someone is of lesser worth if born with a deformity?

What level of deformed person do you think is sustainable ?
Would you be prepared personally 24/7 to nurse the following ?
Brain dead.. partially brain dead.. doubly incontinent.. chronic epileptic... total cerebral palsy.. or how about a child with a congenital defect that will result in dozens of operations & a painfull agonising inevitable death when the child is 10.
You asked the question.. care to answer it ?

Last edited:
How many babies are born brain dead? How many babies are born partially brain dead? Do you know how rare that is? So rare that google wouldn't give me a statistic. That's how rare. In my opinion, if the brain is dead, so is the person anyway.

1 in 3000 babies are born with defects.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/health/content/accent/epaper/2005/06/07/a4e_effe_box_0607.html

Who gets an abortion thinking, "Well, you know it might have defects..."

People get abortions because they made a mistake and can't accept responsibility OR other extreme extenuating circumstances(Rape, incest, health reasons) which account for about 2% of all abortions done.

Ask and you will recieve a source for that.

By the way, I do think it is a shame that this thread went off topic. I apologize for my hand in it going off topic. I would like to see The War on Malaria win, but we got ourselves into quite a mess in Iraq and agree or not funds are needed.

My Opinion about abortion is, that the mother shall decide if she don't wants the child, the child wouldn't have a nice life i think. If the woman gets a child some years later, when she has an husband and a job than better for the child and the parents. I would prefer living in a solid family than being a child of a young mother with no job and not much chances of future.

The whole abortion topic depends on the time at which somebody says that life starts. Thats nothing more than definition. But for this topiy we are in the wrong thread and the wrong part of this forum.

Back to topic.
The problem why nobody spends so much money on aid for malaria patients is that no nation would make profit. If all the people would survive, there are just more poor people who need some donations, food and so on. Thats the sad truth.

A cure for malaria is still not existing afaik. But if all the people who can get malaria would emigrate to countries without malaria and just those who are immun against the desease (still a big amount of people/people with Hb F I think) would live in malaria regions, there wouldn't be much deaths. The problem is where shall this people go. I don't have an answer.

Another solution in europe was killing the aonpheles gnat. But that is not possible in those regions and very bad for environment.

I have a thrid opportunity. The states should be allowed too produce medicine in nationalized factories.

If something else corsses my mind I'll let you know.

nope said:
My Opinion about abortion is, that the mother shall decide if she don't wants the child, the child wouldn't have a nice life i think. If the woman gets a child some years later, when she has an husband and a job than better for the child and the parents. I would prefer living in a solid family than being a child of a young mother with no job and not much chances of future.

Would you rather not exist?

Back to topic.
The problem why nobody spends so much money on aid for malaria patients is that no nation would make profit. If all the people would survive, there are just more poor people who need some donations, food and so on. Thats the sad truth.

A cure for malaria is still not existing afaik. But if all the people who can get malaria would emigrate to countries without malaria and just those who are immun against the desease (still a big amount of people/people with Hb F I think) would live in malaria regions, there wouldn't be much deaths. The problem is where shall this people go. I don't have an answer.

Another solution in europe was killing the aonpheles gnat. But that is not possible in those regions and very bad for environment.

I have a thrid opportunity. The states should be allowed too produce medicine in nationalized factories.

If something else corsses my mind I'll let you know.

After you brought this up some time ago I did some reading.

Last year between 30 to 40 million mosquito nets were requested. 15 million were recieved. This may have been posted already, but approximately 2 people every minute die of malaria in Africa. Something to think about.

Gandhi>Bush said:
Would you rather not exist?
I don't think it would bother me.

Gandhi>Bush said:
This may have been posted already, but approximately 2 people every minute die of malaria in Africa. Something to think about.

And 3-500 Million infected, but Malaria is not alone.

TBC kills more people.
2 Million die every year. Malaria 1.2 M. TBC is besides AIDS the most common cause of death in Africa. TBC and AIDS help each other when it comes to killing people. And TBC is one of the deseases were you can say that it is a desease of the poor. So wipe out Poverty will help. Bush, who prefers to help the rich in Venzuela, doesn't seem to be interested in this.

@ Gandhi>Bush. At the risc of a silly question. Which message gives your Nick? I don't get it.
Mine has no message, so don't ask.

nope

nope said:
@ Gandhi>Bush. At the risc of a silly question. Which message gives your Nick? I don't get it.
Mine has no message, so don't ask.

nope

.....Ehhh?

Back
Top Bottom