• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

A 3,700-Year-Old Meteor Could Explain This Old Bible Story

Dittohead not!

master political analyst
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
So many of the old testament stories are indeed born out of real world events. They're always interesting as hell.

So many of the old testament stories are indeed born out of real world events. They're always interesting as hell.

I find their conclusion interesting. "We've found evidence that events recorded in the Bible actually happened, proving that the Bible is wrong!" :)

I find their conclusion interesting. "We've found evidence that events recorded in the Bible actually happened, proving that the Bible is wrong!" :)

Which are you more likely to believe: that the meteor was a random event or that God took out an entire region, innocent men, women and children alike, because there were some people who didn't fit Abraham's religious beliefs?

You mean to say

That when people today say "God did it" when it comes to weather, earthquakes, meteors etc, they are right. Just like the Bible with Sodom and Gomorrah.

Which are you more likely to believe: that the meteor was a random event or that God took out an entire region, innocent men, women and children alike, because there were some people who didn't fit Abraham's religious beliefs?

Well God is supposed to have created a flood that lasted 40 days and 40 nights to wipe out everyone but those on the ark. So god killing a couple of towns would be mild in comparison

:) that's not the question, though, is it.

Bible says an event occurred. Evidence for an event occurring that looks pretty much like that arises. Somehow, this is taken as evidence the Bible is wrong?

"And then, your honor, I saw a red car cross the median"

"AHA! but we have video footage of a red car crossing the median at about that time, proving you incorrect!!!"

No where else would this logic be anything other than ridiculed.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Bible says an event occurred. Evidence for an event occurring that looks pretty much like that arises. Somehow, this is taken as evidence the Bible is wrong?

"AHA! but we have video footage of a red car crossing the median at about that time, proving you incorrect!!!"

Maybe they just mean the magical explanation given for the event is wrong?

Well God is supposed to have created a flood that lasted 40 days and 40 nights to wipe out everyone but those on the ark. So god killing a couple of towns would be mild in comparison

According to who? Ancient desert nomads who passed the story around the campfires for 2500 years before Moses wrote it down?

Only that Bible is wrong in attributing it to the hand of God by showing it has a natural cause. Do you believe the God of Jesus would kill thousands of innocent men, women and children just to nail a few hedonists? What about the 2004 Tsunami killing over 250,000 people. Hand of God or natural occurrence? Haiti earthquakes? Do you agree with Pat Robertson?

It would be more like

A person crossed over the median in a red car, but that was caused by the giant pink elephant sitting beside him taking control over the steering wheel. While the police state, the persons drug test indicated high levels of LSD in his system.

The bible attributes the destruction to god. The scientists are attributing the destruction to a meteor, which is a rather common event in earths history. They are saying the cause in the bible is wrong

No kidding. Is that all you care about?

Certainly not

I find the finding of the scientists to be very interesting, and certainly provides a historical explanation on what was written in the bible. The findings of the salt disposition in the area could also provide a historical aspect into the biblical story of Lot's wife who was "turned into a pillar of salt. If a person died the resultant high salt content ash could have covered the person, "turning them into salt".

the article was interesting. the atheist preaching at the the end of it could have been left off, but overall, it was worth the read.

i think about stuff like this somewhat often. for example, Leviticus reads like a food and hygiene guide. some of the banned foods are more difficult to prepare safely. ancient humans didn't know about microorganisms or food poisoning, but they knew what could potentially make them sick or even kill them, so they avoided those foods. i'm far from an expert when it comes to the Bible, but i'd guess that the great flood could have been related to the end of the most recent ice age, as it appears in multiple sources when oral tradition was finally written down across cultures. i find the Adam and Eve story among the most interesting, however, as it is ancient man describing in allegory our evolution as upper primates, IMO. matching religious texts with historical events is fascinating.

Certainly not

I find the finding of the scientists to be very interesting, and certainly provides a historical explanation on what was written in the bible. The findings of the salt disposition in the area could also provide a historical aspect into the biblical story of Lot's wife who was "turned into a pillar of salt. If a person died the resultant high salt content ash could have covered the person, "turning them into salt".

The salt explains why nothing grew there for hundreds of years. As for the story of Lot's wife, I think it was more likely she was exposed on a ridge and caught the heat flash, crystalizing/glazing her skin....IF that part of the story was true. People who wandered into the area after the destruction would have noted different things had a glaze on them from the heat. Perhaps the story about Lot's wife is tied to those findings. Again, Moses didn't write down the story until 500-1000 years later. That's about the same amount of time between us and Columbus.

the article was interesting. the atheist preaching at the the end of it could have been left off, but overall, it was worth the read.

i think about stuff like this somewhat often. for example, Leviticus reads like a food and hygiene guide. some of the banned foods are more difficult to prepare safely. ancient humans didn't know about microorganisms or food poisoning, but they knew what could potentially make them sick or even kill them, so they avoided those foods. i'm far from an expert when it comes to the Bible, but i'd guess that the great flood could have been related to the end of the most recent ice age, as it appears in multiple sources when oral tradition was finally written down across cultures. i find the Adam and Eve story among the most interesting, however, as it is ancient man describing in allegory our evolution as upper primates, IMO. matching religious texts with historical events is fascinating.

A valid point. Science Alert has an excellent factual reading, but interjecting religious beliefs, even atheist ones, demeans their credibility.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/sciencealert/

As for the Bible, especially the Old Testament; books were rare as was people being able to read. The OT offered a legal guide, a survival guide (after all, in a time when hygiene was poor and no refrigeration eating pork and shellfish could be deadly) and social structure. If a tribe only had one book, and many did not, it was probably the OT.

It is interesting that an immoral region was wiped out, out of all the places a meteor could hit...

The incorrect part was that God did it. The Bible was proven wrong. It was NOT a punishment from God, meteors have nothing to do with God. Primitives at that time thought everything they couldn't explain was caused by God and the Earth was the center of the universe. The fact that you keep rambling on about this like you had a "revelation" is an insight into your mind. It likes to grasp at straws.

If I told you that God made a red car cross the median would you call that correct because there is video of it doing that? Or would you say that there is another explanation?

Last edited:
It is interesting that an immoral region was wiped out, out of all the places a meteor could hit...

That could be putting the cart before the horse. Katrina devastates a large section of the Gulf Coast and Pat Robertson claims it was God's punishment for abortion. Haiti is devastated by an earthquake and Pat Robertson claims it's because the Haitians made a pact with the Devil in 1804 to defeat Napoleon's French governance. It's likely that when the Sodom and Gomorrah region was devastated "by the wrath of God" that survivors blamed it on those who lived there. Sure, there were likely people who practiced difference sexual morals, but let's not forget that Abraham himself was a slaver. The destruction of the entire region doesn't explain why God would kill thousands of innocent men, women and children who just happened to work and live in the region which was fertile at the time.

What's interesting to me is that some of the events described in the Bible have natural explanations. The story of the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah was a legend passed down by word of mouth for generations by people who had no understanding of meteors or much of anything else that occurred in the natural world. That god did it as retribution for immorality no doubt made a great deal of sense to them.

Even in this enlightened age, there is a significant number of people who ascribe natural disasters to a wrathful god.

What's interesting to me is that some of the events described in the Bible have natural explanations. The story of the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah was a legend passed down by word of mouth for generations by people who had no understanding of meteors or much of anything else that occurred in the natural world. That god did it as retribution for immorality no doubt made a great deal of sense to them.

Even in this enlightened age, there is a significant number of people who ascribe natural disasters to a wrathful god.

..or the Devil. I fail to see how people can simultaneously claim God is all knowing and all merciful then just kill millions of people because some were sinners.

That could be putting the cart before the horse. Katrina devastates a large section of the Gulf Coast and Pat Robertson claims it was God's punishment for abortion. Haiti is devastated by an earthquake and Pat Robertson claims it's because the Haitians made a pact with the Devil in 1804 to defeat Napoleon's French governance. It's likely that when the Sodom and Gomorrah region was devastated "by the wrath of God" that survivors blamed it on those who lived there. Sure, there were likely people who practiced difference sexual morals, but let's not forget that Abraham himself was a slaver. The destruction of the entire region doesn't explain why God would kill thousands of innocent men, women and children who just happened to work and live in the region which was fertile at the time.

Yeah but Pat's a moron.

Back
Top Bottom