• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

A 2014 Obama address on immigration was called too “overtly political" to air by the MSM

NeverTrump

Exposing GOP since 2015
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
The theory of a liberal media is now dead.

Nonetheless, ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, CNN, MSNBC, and Fox News have agreed to broadcast Trump’s speech on Tuesday night.

Former President Barack Obama requested and was denied air time from major broadcast networks for a 2014 address regarding executive actions on immigration because it was deemed “overtly political” and not a “bipartisan announcement.”

A television executive told CNN “we are damned if we do and damned if we don’t” about the decision to broadcast the president’s address.

Networks agree to carry Trump’s speech about nonexistent ‘crisis’ at U.S.-Mexico border

Could you imagine the wailing and gnashing of teeth from the Trumpeteers if the media likewise refused to carry Trump's speech?

The theory of a liberal media is now dead.

No, it's not.

The only reason why CNN and MSNBC have reportedly agreed to broadcast the short speech is that it would kill CNN and MSNBC if FOX gained a humongous rating for being the only cable network to broadcast it.

No, it's not.

The only reason why CNN and MSNBC have reportedly agreed to broadcast the short speech is that it would kill CNN and MSNBC if FOX gained a humongous rating for being the only cable network to broadcast it.

Oh really? Cause I see many people saying they will boycott it.

Could you imagine the wailing and gnashing of teeth from the Trumpeteers if the media likewise refused to carry Trump's speech?

libural media rah rah rah!!!!!! Something like that?

It's the excuse they give for not airing something they don't expect anyone would watch.

They broadcast numerous addresses by Obama during his tenure... ACA, pull out of Iraq, involvement in Syria, and a Government shutdown were a few of the topics covered by these Obama public addresses that they aired.

Also, LOL that you try and use this as proof that there is no liberal media. :roll:

Can you imagine the wailing and gnashing of teeth by the Trump-Deranged if the media decided to air Trump's oval office address? Oh wait, no need to imagine.

Carry on.

They love playing the victim.

Oh really? Cause I see many people saying they will boycott it.

I can't remember the last presidential speech I listened to or watched. There were a couple of Eisenhower's as a kid. Maybe one or two from JFK, one on Laos and the other on the Cuban Missile Crisis.. But most of those were because there was only 3 channels and nothing else on to watch. I remember watching some highlights from Reagan's Iran-Contra forgiveness speech. I never saw a need watch them. They are always highlighted on the news if the subject interests me. I see no need to change my habit.

Last edited:
To be honest, I'm surprised news networks are actually airing the address live.

News networks are getting to the point that they've had enough of Trump manipulating and commanding the news cycle by making sensationalist, outlandish and untrue claims. To wit, in the wake of Trump's a rambling and bumbling "stream of consciousness" 30+ minute rant of lies that moved the Wall Street Journal's conservative editorial board noted that, "We cannot recall a more absurd misstatement of history by an American President," and Trump's impromptu press stunt, Trump's jejune fiascos, idiocy, procrustean penchant, and just unmitigated ignorance, networks' subtle fulmination, denying him "priority"/live coverage, is apropos. Indeed, the man is at the point that there needs to be ignore functionality one can apply to him must as there is for members on DP.

See also:

It's the excuse they give for not airing something they don't expect anyone would watch.

They broadcast numerous addresses by Obama during his tenure... ACA, pull out of Iraq, involvement in Syria, and a Government shutdown were a few of the topics covered by these Obama public addresses that they aired.

Also, LOL that you try and use this as proof that there is no liberal media. :roll:

They? This is a piece by Thinkprogress, decidedly not the MSM.

Yes, but that doesn't preclude my preference that his address be not carried live. Their inapposite kvetching is even more easily dispatched than are Trump's ravings.

And they had precedent to refuse. Wonder why it's different this time around ??

They? This is a piece by Thinkprogress, decidedly not the MSM.

Well, I wasn't going to point out to you the irony of you claiming that liberal media bias is dead by using THINKPROGRESS as a source.... but since you point it out...

But my point is that those media outlets broadcast several national addresses by Obama, you have chosen the exception and tried to paint it as the rule. But that would be expected when you use ThinkProgress as a reliable source to give you all the pertinent context. :roll:

Well, I wasn't going to point out to you the irony of you claiming that liberal media bias is dead by using THINKPROGRESS as a source.... but since you point it out...

But my point is that those media outlets broadcast several national addresses by Obama, you have chosen the exception and tried to paint it as the rule. But that would be expected when you use ThinkProgress as a reliable source to give you all the pertinent context. :roll:

It is worth noting that it has linked to it's sources.

It is worth noting that it has linked to it's sources.

It is worth nothing because I am not disputing their assertion that the media outlets didn't televise one of Obama's addresses. My assertion is that they are purposely misleading by omitting the number of national addresses that they did televise. They are engineering outrage for their those seeking outrage, and they found you.

It is worth nothing because I am not disputing their assertion that the media outlets didn't televise one of Obama's addresses. My assertion is that they are purposely misleading by omitting the number of national addresses that they did televise. They are engineering outrage for their those seeking outrage, and they found you.

Um...I think they don't need to tell us how many times Obama was on TV. That is decidedly not the point.

Um...I think they don't need to tell us how many times Obama was on TV. That is decidedly not the point.

LOL. It is precisely the point. Your own OP was trying to say that there is a problem with the media televising Trump and not Obama. My point is they are purposely misleading by not admitting that the media televised all but one national address by Obama in his 8 years, which breaks their attempt at manufactured outrage in all but the true believers.

LOL. It is precisely the point. Your own OP was trying to say that there is a problem with the media televising Trump and not Obama. My point is they are purposely misleading by not admitting that the media televised all but one national address by Obama in his 8 years, which breaks their attempt at manufactured outrage in all but the true believers.

No my point is the reason they didn't air Obama's address, which is that it would be too political. Considering that Trump is a partisan bully, it is extremely naive for the networks to think this won't be another political stunt.

No my point is the reason they didn't air Obama's address, which is that it would be too political. Considering that Trump is a partisan bully, it is extremely naive for the networks to think this won't be another political stunt.

Again, that is why my initial point was that their excuse with Obama was simply so they didn't have to admit that nobody would watch it. They aired numerous political national addresses by Obama in those 8 years. They only refused to televise one.

The reason they will air the Trump address is because Trump's address will get viewers.

Again, that is why my initial point was that their excuse with Obama was simply so they didn't have to admit that nobody would watch it. They aired numerous political national addresses by Obama in those 8 years. They only refused to televise one.

The reason they will air the Trump address is because Trump's address will get viewers.

They would like to think so, but the audience who watches primetime TV is shrinking. I do not think putting on an alienating President will help keep eyeballs around. It certainly didn't for me for Obama. I predict no ratings increase projected or in actuality.

Whats the point in not listening?

Because when someone like Trump lies like he does, people get sick and tired of hearing the lies. He is such an egotistical, lying, politically ignorant moron that his speeches make me cringe at how dumb America has become to elect him.

Because when someone like Trump lies like he does, people get sick and tired of hearing the lies. He is such an egotistical, lying, politically ignorant moron that his speeches make me cringe at how dumb America has become to elect him.

Funny, that was said by many towards Obama when he was president. But I encourage people to listen with an open mind and see if they cant figure out why others may find what is said true.

Back
Top Bottom