• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

9th Circuit Court of Appeals Says No Right to Concealed Gun Carry

Top Cat

He's the most tip top
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
A divided federal appeals court in California ruled Thursday that there is no constitutional right to carry a concealed handgun, adding to a division among the lower courts on gun rights outside the home.

By a vote of 7-4, the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco upheld a California law that requires gun owners to show a good reason before they can get a license to carry a concealed handgun.

"The protection of the Second Amendment — whatever the scope of that protection may be — simply does not extend to the carrying of concealed firearms in public by members of the general public."

9th Circuit Court of Appeals Says No Right to Concealed Gun Carry - NBC News

Last edited:
Drip, drip, drip. That ringing sound that keeps slowly getting louder is the dripping of the waters of rights repealed sounding the death knell for the Second Amendment.

I can't image that the Democrats that are also Pro-Second Amendment can bee too happy about this given Clinton's stance and how it impacts the prospects for Obama or Clinton either one regarding the open SCOTUS seat.

I was in the platoon bay when she clinched the nomination. All you see is a bunch of guys laughing and saying "there goes any rights the civilians had left".

Pathetic old bat she is. She should not be awarded armed security.

I was in the platoon bay when she clinched the nomination. All you see is a bunch of guys laughing and saying "there goes any rights the civilians had left".

Pathetic old bat she is. She should not be awarded armed security.

Haters hate a wee bit too much

Drip, drip, drip. That ringing sound that keeps slowly getting louder is the dripping of the waters of rights repealed sounding the death knell for the Second Amendment.

I can't image that the Democrats that are also Pro-Second Amendment can be too happy about this given Clinton's stance and how it impacts the prospects for Obama or Clinton either one regarding the open SCOTUS seat.

Peehaps Garland is starting to look better and better to the Republicans. They should have taken him when given the chance.

Ill have to look up the gun laws in CA to give a btter opinin later.
If its an open carry state, Im "OK" with a CWP as long as getting one is as easy as getting the gun itself.
If its not an open carry state and now there are muitiple blocks in place for a citzen to carry I'd fight it tooth and nail.

I have a CWP in PA, but PA is also open carry except in Philly so Im fine with it.
when I got my first hand gun like two decades ago I went to the sporting goods store, they did a back ground check, about 15mins back then and I had my gun.

To get a conceal weapons permit I had to fill out paper work, back ground check, reason and references. I mailed it in. They mailed me back I was approved and I had to go to the court house to get my Picture taken and a permit was made on the spot. About a 2 week process back then.
Im guessing i could probably do it all on line now.

Haters hate a wee bit too much

Why does Hillary Clinton have the right to have her life protected by armed gunmen, while the common citizen doesn't?
This is the same "do as I say not as I do" bullcrap that the left excels in.

The Constitution is a mere suggestion to liberal judges.

You'd think the 9th Circuit would be tired of getting overturned.

Guess not.

You'd think the 9th Circuit would be tired of getting overturned.

Guess not.

Should states all be forced to allow concealed carry without condition?

Pathetic old bat she is. She should not be awarded armed security

I disagree with the 9th Circus Court's decision, which will be easy overturned in the SCOTUS.

But that Hillary should not be allowed Secret Service protection is close to wishing that she would be assassinated. I most emphatically disagree with that part of your post, even though I am sure you said it tongue in cheek.

Why? Are you saying he is pro-Second Amendment?

I am sure that he is not saying that, but if Democrats take back the Senate this year, which looks likely, Republicans are going to wish they confirmed him, after seeing the new nominee that Democrats are going to invoke the nuclear option to get appointed.

The gist of the case was that the state was practically not allowing it at all.

They banned open carry in urban areas several years ago and have always had a law allowing local officials to arbitrarily deny permits for no reason.

I don't mind requiring permits for concealed carry like we have in Washington, and Oregon, and Montana, and Florida, and Maine, in fact everywhere in the country except for CA and some NE states which require police to issue the permit to anyone who meets objective criteria.

Yes. It is in the Constitution. The right to bear arms shall not be abridged.

Does this absolute right include purchases? No background checks, no requirements, etc?

Does this absolute right include purchases? No background checks, no requirements, etc?

I'm still in favor of background checks, and tougher prison sentences for those who are not allowed to carry carrying. But the right to carry shall not be abridged for any law abiding citizen. For us, it IS an absolute right, enumerated in the Constitution.

I'm still in favor of background checks, and tougher prison sentences for those who are not allowed to carry carrying. But the right to carry shall not be abridged for any law abiding citizen. For us, it IS an absolute right, enumerated in the Constitution.

Shall not be infringed, except some people aren't allowed?

Why? Are you saying he is pro-Second Amendment?

I'm saying they were offered a much more moderate judge than what Clinton is going to place into nomination.

You fail to understand the original intent of the Second as well as SCOTUS rulings on it.

Wrong.

Back
Top Bottom