• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

99 shot in one week, 24 dead

Patrickt

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
"Nearly 100 people have been shot in Chicago in less than a week, pushing the number of shooting victims so far this year to more than 2,500 — about 800 more than this time last year, according to data kept by the Tribune.

"Between last Friday afternoon and early Thursday, at least 99 people were shot in the city, 24 of them fatally. At least nine people were killed on Monday alone, the deadliest day in Chicago in 13 years, according to Tribune data. Among the wounded that day was a 10-year-old boy shot in the back as he played on his front porch in Lawndale.

"The number of shooting victims in Chicago stood at 2,514 Thursday morning. At this time last year, 1,725 people had been shot. The city has not seen this level of gun violence since the 1990s, a trend the Police Department has blamed on lax gun laws and feuding gang factions."
Nearly 100 people shot in Chicago in less than a week - Chicago Tribune

I realize this is just a local story. It doesn't merit national attention as do some that get the president's attention. Of course, Chicago is noted for it's lax gun laws. Chicago is a rolling tragedy and no seems particularly concerned.

"Nearly 100 people have been shot in Chicago in less than a week, pushing the number of shooting victims so far this year to more than 2,500 — about 800 more than this time last year, according to data kept by the Tribune.

"Between last Friday afternoon and early Thursday, at least 99 people were shot in the city, 24 of them fatally. At least nine people were killed on Monday alone, the deadliest day in Chicago in 13 years, according to Tribune data. Among the wounded that day was a 10-year-old boy shot in the back as he played on his front porch in Lawndale.

"The number of shooting victims in Chicago stood at 2,514 Thursday morning. At this time last year, 1,725 people had been shot. The city has not seen this level of gun violence since the 1990s, a trend the Police Department has blamed on lax gun laws and feuding gang factions."

I realize this is just a local story. It doesn't merit national attention as do some that get the president's attention. Of course, Chicago is noted for it's lax gun laws. Chicago is a rolling tragedy and no seems particularly concerned.

I have gained the impression that the violence has very much less to do with the factors normally associated with it. Sure, it is a gun and yes, it is the member of a gang. But like with the the cop shootings of African Americans turned out to be propaganda by selective information, so the roots of the violence is probably far removed from the immediately visible explanations. We should probably be looking at indicators like divorce, single parents, school attendance, neigborhood cohesian and a list of other social factors

Happens when there is a gang war going on...

Just for some historical perspective:

600px-Chicago_Murder_Rates.png

Murder rates in Chicago are high still, but lower than they used to be. The problem is that they are still considerably higher than most cites by quite a margin. Moreover, the appearance that Chicago is so dangerous is just bad for the city.

Murder rates in Chicago are high still, but lower than they used to be. The problem is that they are still considerably higher than most cites by quite a margin. Moreover, the appearance that Chicago is so dangerous is just bad for the city.

When you take one geographical location, such as Chicago, there can be a lot of factors that effect the homicide rate. And, Chicago isn't the worst. In fact, in one study, Chicago was 30th from the top slot. But, Chicago gets more news because it's bigger. New York isn't even in the list of thirty, neither is Los Angeles. Chicago is also the proud home of President Obama but he doesn't seem particularly concerned. I suspect he doesn't plan on ever returning there. And, lastly, Chicago is the quintessential Democrat city. You know, with lax gun laws.

When you take one geographical location, such as Chicago, there can be a lot of factors that effect the homicide rate. And, Chicago isn't the worst. In fact, in one study, Chicago was 30th from the top slot. But, Chicago gets more news because it's bigger. New York isn't even in the list of thirty, neither is Los Angeles. Chicago is also the proud home of President Obama but he doesn't seem particularly concerned. I suspect he doesn't plan on ever returning there. And, lastly, Chicago is the quintessential Democrat city. You know, with lax gun laws.

Virtually ever major city in the country is ran by Democrats and have been for decades. With very few exceptions, all of our cities are "quintessential Democrat" cities. Also given his statements on the matter, to claim that Obama is not concerned with gun murders is ridiculous.

I can't remember what the differences are between Donkeys and Elephants....:confused:

It's Democrat run.

24%, sure glad that they are lousy shots. Cheers to the physicians who don't have to travel overseas to get combat medical training.

Virtually ever major city in the country is ran by Democrats and have been for decades. With very few exceptions, all of our cities are "quintessential Democrat" cities. Also given his statements on the matter, to claim that Obama is not concerned with gun murders is ridiculous.

Obama is mainly concerned with gun murders he can use to try to destroy the NRA with. He doesn't yap much about ones that show how stupid the Democrat gun control schemes are-which Chicago is the poster child for.

Obama form of gun control , once they ALL kill each other problem solved !

As long as we have unemployed, unemployable people who are told they are helpless victims we will always have this problem.

Obama is mainly concerned with gun murders he can use to try to destroy the NRA with. He doesn't yap much about ones that show how stupid the Democrat gun control schemes are-which Chicago is the poster child for.

Actually, he talks about gun deaths in general all the time. Even when he gives a speech in the aftermath of a mass shooting, he always points out that most gun deaths are in the inner cities. For example, in January he made this statement:

" Every single year, more than 30,000 Americans have their lives cut short by guns -- 30,000. Suicides. Domestic violence. Gang shootouts. Accidents. Hundreds of thousands of Americans have lost brothers and sisters, or buried their own children. Many have had to learn to live with a disability, or learned to live without the love of their life. "

Here is another quote:

"“Our unalienable right to life and liberty and the pursuit of happiness were stripped from college kids in Blacksburg and Santa Barbara, and from high schoolers in Columbine, and from first-graders in Newtown. First-graders. And from every family who never imagined that their loved one would be taken from their lives by a bullet of a gun,” Obama said, pausing to wipe away tears. “Every time I think about those kids, it gets me mad. And by the way, it happens on the streets of Chicago everyday.”

So whether one agrees with Obama on guns or not, its simply not correct at all that he doesn't talk about inner city violence or what happens in Chicago.

actually murder rates in chicago aren't high at all compared to other cities their #24 on the list of highest murder rates by city

Most Dangerous Cities In The United States - WorldAtlas.com

I have gained the impression that the violence has very much less to do with the factors normally associated with it. Sure, it is a gun and yes, it is the member of a gang. But like with the the cop shootings of African Americans turned out to be propaganda by selective information, so the roots of the violence is probably far removed from the immediately visible explanations. We should probably be looking at indicators like divorce, single parents, school attendance, neigborhood cohesian and a list of other social factors

I would guess it is because of the police moving to a low engagement stance in the parts of the city where they could end up getting shot, or vilified by the neighborhood for any use of force.

I would guess it is because of the police moving to a low engagement stance in the parts of the city where they could end up getting shot, or vilified by the neighborhood for any use of force.

I am sure the situation is exacerbated by the lack of boots on the ground. But the violence is home grown and feeds on the framework of social conditions, transfers and licence we have allowed to spread.

PS: I believe to remember that the US actually does have relatively few police officers per 100.000 of the population.

Here. I think this put a less regional perspective on it:
Most Dangerous Cities in the World - WorldAtlas.com

Actually, he talks about gun deaths in general all the time. Even when he gives a speech in the aftermath of a mass shooting, he always points out that most gun deaths are in the inner cities. For example, in January he made this statement:

" Every single year, more than 30,000 Americans have their lives cut short by guns -- 30,000. Suicides. Domestic violence. Gang shootouts. Accidents. Hundreds of thousands of Americans have lost brothers and sisters, or buried their own children. Many have had to learn to live with a disability, or learned to live without the love of their life. "

Here is another quote:

"“Our unalienable right to life and liberty and the pursuit of happiness were stripped from college kids in Blacksburg and Santa Barbara, and from high schoolers in Columbine, and from first-graders in Newtown. First-graders. And from every family who never imagined that their loved one would be taken from their lives by a bullet of a gun,” Obama said, pausing to wipe away tears. “Every time I think about those kids, it gets me mad. And by the way, it happens on the streets of Chicago everyday.”

So whether one agrees with Obama on guns or not, its simply not correct at all that he doesn't talk about inner city violence or what happens in Chicago.

the ones that get press coverage is when he is trying to use a mass shooting to invade more of our rights. The majority of gunshot illegal homicides take place in Democrat run areas

the ones that get press coverage is when he is trying to use a mass shooting to invade more of our rights. The majority of gunshot illegal homicides take place in Democrat run areas

1. After any mass shooting its a given the president is going to speak no matter who they are.

2. Democrats run practically ever major city in the country and always have. Cities that are safe are ran by Democrats. Cities with high crime rates again are ran by Democrats. Successful cities are ran by Democrats and failing cities are ran by Democrats. Oklahoma City is the only city in the country I can think of that isn't ran by Democrats.

Back
Top Bottom