• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

925 Quarantined for Covid. Is This a Successful School Reopening?

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
925 Quarantined for Covid. Is This a Successful School Reopening? | New York Times

A suburban Atlanta county opened its schools amid controversy and a growing case count, previewing a difficult national back-to-school season.

merlin_175508088_61155bfd-1e33-457a-b4cb-a784bd2ff341-threeByTwoSmallAt2X.jpg

8/12/20
CANTON, Ga. — The first letter went out on Aug. 4, one day after students in the Cherokee County School District returned to their classrooms for the first time since the eruption of the coronavirus pandemic. “Dear Parents,” wrote Dr. Ashley Kennerly, the principal of Sixes Elementary School. “I am writing this letter in order to communicate that a student in 2nd grade has tested positive for Covid-19.” By the time the last bell rang on Friday afternoon, principals at 10 other schools had sent similar letters to families in Cherokee County, a bucolic and politically conservative stretch of suburbs north of Atlanta. This week, more letters went out. Altogether, more than 900 students and staff members in the district have already been ordered to quarantine. On Tuesday, one high school closed its doors until at least Aug. 31. In Georgia, Tennessee, Mississippi, Indiana and elsewhere, some schools, mainly in suburban and rural areas, have been open for almost two weeks. Their experience reveals the perils of returning to classrooms in places where the coronavirus has hardly been tamed. Students and teachers have immediately tested positive, sending others into two-week quarantines and creating whiplash for schools that were eager to open, only to consider closing again right away. All of this has only further divided communities where parents and teachers have passionately disagreed over the safety of reopening.

Depending on whom you ask, the string of positive tests and isolation orders in Cherokee County either proved the district’s folly for opening schools during the worst American public health crisis in decades, or demonstrated a courageous effort to return to normal. “This is exactly what we expected to happen,” said Allison Webb, 44, who quit her job as a Spanish and French teacher in the district because of her concerns about reopening schools, and who put her daughter, a senior, in the district’s remote-learning program. “It’s not safe” to return to the classrooms now, Ms. Webb said. But to Jenny Beth Martin, who wanted schools to reopen — even appealing directly to President Trump in a visit to the White House — the district’s return has been a rousing success. A photo taken outside Etowah High School on the first day back showed scores of students crowded shoulder to shoulder, smiling and unmasked. A similar photo from Sequoyah High School was also posted to social media. Beneath the photo, a commenter wrote, “Most of these kids are gonna be sick in the next few days … was it really worth it to appease the anti-mask parents? At what cost?” “Don’t worry about the basement Bobbys or negative Nancys,” read the sign held by Morgan Morrison, 28, the mother of a second grader who “lost her mask on the second day.” Ms. Morrison said she and her husband do not wear masks either. “I feel like before we’re even born, God has a plan for when he’s going to take us to heaven,” she said. “There’s nothing we can do to stop it.”

I really don't know how someone views 925 Cherokee County school district students quarantined for COVID a "rousing success".

All the President of the United States had to do was give a speech, say that COVID was dangerous and deadly, work with the governors to lock stuff down to nip it and continue to work with them until the medical community catches up.

That's a bridge too far for Donald Trump.

925 Quarantined for Covid. Is This a Successful School Reopening? | New York Times

A suburban Atlanta county opened its schools amid controversy and a growing case count, previewing a difficult national back-to-school season.

I really don't know how someone views 925 Cherokee County school district students quarantined for COVID a "rousing success".

Being ordered to quarantine because 1 student had it is the sort of overreaction democrats used to support....

Oh plueeze - liberals wouldn't listen to our president regardless what he said.

Hey look at that... Georgia still in the news for all the wrong reasons... sigh (for the umpteenth time today.)

38 students have tested positive for COVID-19.
925 students are in quarantine and are attending school virtually for two weeks.
40,000 students are able to receive in-person instruction.

Had the school not opened for in-person instruction, what would these numbers be?

925 students are in quarantine and are attending school virtually for two weeks.

Had the school not opened for in-person instruction, what would these numbers be?

dude. this is ONE school. Trump (or his foot soldiers/media) are pushing for ALL schools to reopen.

at least the Big10 is taking this more serious than the President of the US. and they LIVE off of college football revenue.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmm, your favorite governor from New York is opening schools. Have you forgotten already, masks and mask mandates work. So, why shouldn't schools be able to open back up?

How does this work?

Do the families all have to quarantine as well?

Do they try to quarantine the kids inside their homes away from the rest of their family and let the family go about their business??

Are they done spreading covid there yet?

Or will there be more consequences you're not accounting for?

If covid's not over it ain't right to pretend like what's in your post is the final tally of consequences.

It's reckless rather

If covid's not over it ain't right to pretend like what's in your post is the final tally of consequences.

It's reckless rather
Why would you think it is a "final tally"? That makes no sense.

These are the current statistics.
Why would you think it is a "final tally"? That makes no sense.

I thought it was obvious that I thought it was something other than a final tally.
I guess I wasn't clear enough.

You're argument is,
"Here is the harm which was caused. The relatively small amount of harm demonstrates that what we did was not called for."​
Correct me if that's wrong.

I'm just pointing out that the tally of harms you listed is far from complete.

Since the list of harms is incomplete,
it's not sensible to use it as a measure of whether or not actions were justified.

I thought it was obvious that I thought it was something other than a final tally.
I guess I wasn't clear enough.

You're argument is,
"Here is the harm which was caused. The relatively small amount of harm demonstrates that what we did was not called for."​
Correct me if that's wrong.

I'm just pointing out that the tally of harms you listed is far from complete.

Since the list of harms is incomplete,
it's not sensible to use it as a measure of whether or not actions were justified.
I did not provide an argument at all. I listed the current statistics...

...and posed the question, "How would this differ if schools did not open for in-person instruction?"

Seems to me that that's the only way to address the question in the OP.

close the schools now before this gets worse.

Back
Top Bottom