• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

92% of Married Women in Egypt Have Undergone Female Genital Mutilation

Anomalism

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
92% of Married Women in Egypt Have Undergone Female Genital Mutilation | Egyptian Streets

Egypt’s Minister of Health Adel Adawy announced on Sunday that 92 percent of married Egyptian women have experienced female genital mutilation. The latest results were announced at a conference held to reveal the results of the 2014 Egypt Demographic and Health Survey (EDHS). According to the Minister, 92 percent of women aged between 15 and 49 who are or have been married suffer from genital mutilation.

The majority of females undergo genital mutilation between the ages of nine and 12, with only 31 percent of the operations run by doctors, said the Minister of Health. The Minister of Health added that FGM in rural areas is as high as 95 percent, compared to up to 39.2 percent in urban cities. The 2014 EDHS further found that more than 50 percent of married women in Egypt favor female genital mutilation and is in accordance with religious teachings, while 30 percent believe it should be banned. FGM is normally carried out by traditional midwives and ‘health barbers’.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's barbaric.

Yup, and in the US it's still socially acceptable to mutilate your newborn baby boy.

It's barbaric.

Barbaric, unnecessary, immoral, useless, and basically ideological torture for no practical good reason at all.

The sentence is only three months to two years? Are they nuts? These women live with this their entire lives. C'mon, Egypt. Lock these scum bags up and throw away the key.

The sentence is only three months to two years? Are they nuts? These women live with this their entire lives. C'mon, Egypt. Lock these scum bags up and throw away the key.

Why? We don't lock doctors up for mutilating healthy baby boys.

That's not as big a deal. However, if you want to pursue it, it's fine with me. I don't condone any of it, but the women are mutilated to deny them any pleasure. Male circumcision doesn't eliminate it.

That's not as big a deal. However, if you want to pursue it, it's fine with me. I don't condone any of it, but the women are mutilated to deny them any pleasure. Male circumcision doesn't eliminate it.

No, but it does harm it considerably.

No, but it does harm it considerably.

No doubt. At least it's generally done by doctors here. In the ME that's not the rule (same for Africa), and in Egypt according to the OP, only 31% of the female mutilations are performed by doctors. For males, circumcision was originally performed for cleanliness to avoid disease. Yes, it is written in religious proscriptions, but those religious dictates also included various foods and their preparation, which was also originally founded in the prevention of disease. Females physically did not and do not present the same physical problems. This stems from a religious culture that is male dominated by force and regards women as possessions. I don't respect that aspect, and it's a biggie, of that culture.

Why are they so afraid of women's sexuality? Don't they have the ability to satisfy their women?

Seems to me that they're pretty poor excuses for men.

No doubt. At least it's generally done by doctors here. In the ME that's not the rule (same for Africa), and in Egypt according to the OP, only 31% of the female mutilations are performed by doctors. For males, circumcision was originally performed for cleanliness to avoid disease. Yes, it is written in religious proscriptions, but those religious dictates also included various foods and their preparation, which was also originally founded in the prevention of disease. Females physically did not and do not present the same physical problems. This stems from a religious culture that is male dominated by force and regards women as possessions. I don't respect that aspect, and it's a biggie, of that culture.

Actually one of the original uses for male circumcision was to reduce sexual pleasure and discourage masturbation.

While I have your point, it will be dismissed by most because there's little comparison in reality. And sounds like dismissal as trivial.

At least they will have a nice new lighthouse.

While I have your point, it will be dismissed by most because there's little comparison in reality. And sounds like dismissal as trivial.

Well, yeah, but even comparable measures are banned for women. Meanwhile men are still dealing with stupid hygiene arguments like men are too stupid to keep clean.

Well, yeah, but even comparable measures are banned for women. Meanwhile men are still dealing with stupid hygiene arguments like men are too stupid to keep clean.

Yes, most men don't have a choice, it usually happens very shortly after birth. I don't wish to diminish your point, I just don't want it to diminish the serious problem addressed in the op.

Yes, most men don't have a choice, it usually happens very shortly after birth. I don't wish to diminish your point, I just don't want it to diminish the serious problem addressed in the op.

What are we going to do about the issue brought up in the OP? It's not our country and what are we going to say when they come back with male circumcision still be rampant in the US? Are we just going to say that it's not comparable? Well, actually in some cases it is comparable, so what, we have the higher ground in the more serious cases like the removal of the clitoris, but not in cases of removal of the clitoral hood?

Actually one of the original uses for male circumcision was to reduce sexual pleasure and discourage masturbation.

Could be. I think we can agree that there's enough human suffering without add this business to it.

Both male and female circumcision are bad and both are rooted in backward cultural/religious traditions.

But female "circumcision" is orders of magnitude worse and it does a disservice to put it on equal grounds with male circumcision.

Re: 92% of married women in Egypt have undergone female genital mutilation

92% of Married Women in Egypt Have Undergone Female Genital Mutilation | Egyptian Streets

Egypt’s Minister of Health Adel Adawy announced on Sunday that 92 percent of married Egyptian women have experienced female genital mutilation. The latest results were announced at a conference held to reveal the results of the 2014 Egypt Demographic and Health Survey (EDHS). According to the Minister, 92 percent of women aged between 15 and 49 who are or have been married suffer from genital mutilation.

The majority of females undergo genital mutilation between the ages of nine and 12, with only 31 percent of the operations run by doctors, said the Minister of Health. The Minister of Health added that FGM in rural areas is as high as 95 percent, compared to up to 39.2 percent in urban cities. The 2014 EDHS further found that more than 50 percent of married women in Egypt favor female genital mutilation and is in accordance with religious teachings, while 30 percent believe it should be banned. FGM is normally carried out by traditional midwives and ‘health barbers’.

Despite a large number of women surveyed believing that FGM is condoned by Islam, Egypt’s top Islamic authority has condemned the act as ‘un-Islamic’ and ‘barbaric’.
Moreover, Egypt banned female genital mutilation in 2008. Article 242 of Egypt’s Penal Code criminalizes the circumcision of girls The punishment for performing FGM is a prison sentence ranging from three months to two years or a fine of 5,000 Egyptian pounds.
Who are we to interfere in the affairs of other countries. If they don't approve of such they can use the democratic process to change it.

It's not mutilation, but keep that silliness up.

genital mutilation - any type of cutting or removal of all or some of the genital organs, especially excision of the clitoris.

Sorry if what you support qualifies. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom