• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

911 rant

sawyerloggingon

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
Political Leaning
Independent
So I'm driving in the middle of nowhere central Oregon and some guy with his hood up flags me down. He is out of gas and wants a ride but my car is full and theres no room. He is old and feeble and has no water out in the windy desert so I give him what little I have left. I call 911 to get him some help and the operator says cops don't carry gas can't you help him. It's like 40 miles to the nearest town so I say no send a tow truck or a cop this old guy is stranded in 95 degree weather in a hot car with no water. The operator ask me to call a tow truck. I say I'm not from the area and don't know who to call. He starts to ask me something else when I blow up and say look you stupid f****** SOB, the guy needs help, you are 911, send him some f**** help you dumb ass c***. Then I hung up and drove away. Now I feel a little guilty and I sure hope the idiot sent help. THE END :)

So I'm driving in the middle of nowhere central Oregon and some guy with his hood up flags me down. He is out of gas and wants a ride but my car is full and theres no room. He is old and feeble and has no water out in the windy desert so I give him what little I have left. I call 911 to get him some help and the operator says cops don't carry gas can't you help him. It's like 40 miles to the nearest town so I say no send a tow truck or a cop this old guy is stranded in 95 degree weather in a hot car with no water. The operator ask me to call a tow truck. I say I'm not from the area and don't know who to call. He starts to ask me something else when I blow up and say look you stupid f****** SOB, the guy needs help, you are 911, send him some f**** help you dumb ass c***. Then I hung up and drove away. Now I feel a little guilty and I sure hope the idiot sent help. THE END :)

Well at least you tried to do the right thing, whether the authorities actually did anything is a different matter :roll:

I would've stayed with the man until he got help. Also I would have asked him if he had a neighbor, church member, family that I could call for him. I wouldn't have just left him there.

I would've stayed with the man until he got help. Also I would have asked him if he had a neighbor, church member, family that I could call for him. I wouldn't have just left him there.

He was from Canada so there was nobody to call. I was tired and hungry and now out of water too so I left but if it makes you feel better my wife wanted to stay and got a bit angry as I drove off. In retrospect I should have stayed though. Hey this is about the 911 idiot not ME OK.:lol:

Wow.

That is pretty low on the human scale. You had a cellphone and all you could bother yourself for was to call 911? Then, because they're not a towing service, you were angry with THEM and ditched the guy?

Why did you bother to stop in the first place - why didn't you just flip him off and tell him to hike it while you whizzed by.

When something bad happens to you - and you complain about it here on DP - we'll all know it's Karma biting you in the ass.

Wow.

That is pretty low on the human scale. You had a cellphone and all you could bother yourself for was to call 911? Then, because they're not a towing service, you were angry with THEM and ditched the guy?

Why did you bother to stop in the first place - why didn't you just flip him off and tell him to hike it while you whizzed by.

When something bad happens to you - and you complain about it here on DP - we'll all know it's Karma biting you in the ass.

If I had room I'd have given him a ride. I gave him all my water and called the authorities for help. Staying with him would have accomplished exactly what?

In my town you wouldn't have been able to hang up on 911. They have some system that locks your cellphone in when you call them from what I have been told. That said, I would have taken enough stuff out of my car for him to get in and put it in his and locked it in, driven him to get gas and water and drive through, brought him back, got my stuff, got him on his way even if I had to pay for all that.....and then bitched about it. :2razz:

I have helped stranded motorists and I have been a stranded motorist who received more help than even I would have given once. I consider it good karma. One time I was driving through middle of nowhere West Virginia on a sunday nowhere near a garage and had my water pump go out. This truckload of rednecky teenagers rolled up on me and I thought I was screwed. They all stuck there heads under the hood for a bit, took me to one of their houses to wait where the parents took me like I was family while the teenagers went to the junkyard and got the parts, fixed me truck, and sent me on my merry way. All it cost me was what they had to pay for the parts.

If I had room I'd have given him a ride. I gave him all my water and called the authorities for help. Staying with him would have accomplished exactly what?

Jeesh - "Here - I'll drive ahead and send back help" or "let me call a tow truck" rather than acting like you're 15 and having a major mood swing.

I'm not going to rag on Sawyerlogginon here, as many of you have. He actually stopped, enquired after the man, gave him some water and called for help. I'd venture that many of you would have just driven by without any concern at all but it's easy to pick his story apart and make him appear to be the problem.

As to the 911 operator, I agree that it was unprofessional to expect someone from out of state to assist someone else from out of state when you're not familiar with the area, etc. Actually, for me, I would have called CAA - the US equivalent being AAA - they are much more reliable and take care of people when they have car trouble. 911 - government employees - not conditioned to be cooperative.

Wow.

Fascinating. On another thread you're talking about how people shouldn't get involved and should just let the cops handle things.:confused:

I'm not going to rag on Sawyerlogginon here, as many of you have. He actually stopped, enquired after the man, gave him some water and called for help. I'd venture that many of you would have just driven by without any concern at all but it's easy to pick his story apart and make him appear to be the problem.

As to the 911 operator, I agree that it was unprofessional to expect someone from out of state to assist someone else from out of state when you're not familiar with the area, etc. Actually, for me, I would have called CAA - the US equivalent being AAA - they are much more reliable and take care of people when they have car trouble. 911 - government employees - not conditioned to be cooperative.

Thank you, I myself considered not stopping. A guy in the middle of nowhere flagging you down sends up some red flags. I had my wife with me and it occurred to me this guy could just be some psycho looking for a victim. I stopped anyway but rolled up on him slowly to asses the looks of things and was ready to speed off at the slightest hint of something not looking or feeling right. IMO though the 911 guy should have sent a cop, "to protect and to serve" is their supposed motto.

I was not aware the central Oregon had a windy desert so I guess DP does teach you stuff. Now a feeble old man I would stop for every time. A black kid in a hoodie in the rain and I would have just left him alone :mrgreen:

Good afternoon, CJ! :2wave:

Although some government agencies have improved...you actually see some of the employees at the BMV smiling lately...:shock: I have wondered about that in the past. It's almost as if you have a bad attitude, you're gonna hit hired! In the business world, the feeling is that the "customer is always right," even if they're not! I suspect the possibility of "downsizing the government" talk may have hit home for some of them lately. Even if you hate your job, as some of them appear to do, no one wants to lose theirs! :think:

I was not aware the central Oregon had a windy desert so I guess DP does teach you stuff. Now a feeble old man I would stop for every time. A black kid in a hoodie in the rain and I would have just left him alone :mrgreen:

Beautiful country too.

Central Oregon Backcountry

Good afternoon, CJ! :2wave:

Although some government agencies have improved...you actually see some of the employees at the BMV smiling lately...:shock: I have wondered about that in the past. It's almost as if you have a bad attitude, you're gonna hit hired! In the business world, the feeling is that the "customer is always right," even if they're not! I suspect the possibility of "downsizing the government" talk may have hit home for some of them lately. Even if you hate your job, as some of them appear to do, no one wants to lose theirs! :think:

Good afternoon Lady P - very well said!

I call bull****. Would you really leave an old, feeble old man out in the desert with very little water and no way to get help, after calling ahead for help and 911 telling you no? Nobody's that big of a douche, are they? Really?

If that's a true story, you should have helped the old guy. Had one of the kids sit on another's lap or something. Sheesh, dude. And you put a smiley face at the end of your post?

If I lived out in the middle of nowhere in Idaho, I'd carry a gas siphon, extra gas and a jug of water. Just sayin'...

When I lived in bum-**** Wisconsin, I carried sand, a shovel, gas, an empty coffee can, a pillar candle and a blanket. Never thought about the water. What do you carry in your trunk? Potatoes?

If I lived out in the middle of nowhere in Idaho, I'd carry a gas siphon, extra gas and a jug of water. Just sayin'...

When I lived in bum-**** Wisconsin, I carried sand, a shovel, gas, an empty coffee can, a pillar candle and a blanket. Never thought about the water. What do you carry in your trunk? Potatoes?

My car was full to the brim with camping stuff. I could have pitched a tent for him, cooked him some bacon, offered him a sleeping bag or even a pillow but my tank had gas in it and I just didn't think to bring gas for others who let themselves run out.:roll:

My car was full to the brim with camping stuff. I could have pitched a tent for him, cooked him some bacon, offered him a sleeping bag or even a pillow but my tank had gas in it and I just didn't think to bring gas for others who let themselves run out.:roll:

I'm just givin' ya' a hard time, Sawyer. If it were me, and I was alone, me personally? I wouldn't have stopped. I'd have done just what you did. Called the coppers. Jerks. Serve and Protect my ass.

I call bull****. Would you really leave an old, feeble old man out in the desert with very little water and no way to get help, after calling ahead for help and 911 telling you no? Nobody's that big of a douche, are they? Really?

If that's a true story, you should have helped the old guy. Had one of the kids sit on another's lap or something. Sheesh, dude. And you put a smiley face at the end of your post?

Car was full of camp gear not kids. 911 guy did not tell me no, he just tried to make me do his job and I refused. I know those calls are recorded and there is no way the operator didn't send help. If that guy died in the desert after that call he would go to prison. :):):)

I'm just givin' ya' a hard time, Sawyer. If it were me, and I was alone, me personally? I wouldn't have stopped. I'd have done just what you did. Called the coppers. Jerks. Serve and Protect my ass.

Sorry I thought you were serious, I have been getting s*** for this when the thread was supposed to be about a crappy 911 operator. If you were alone you would do the right thing not stopping. I drove by first and checked things out, then I did a U turn and rolled up slowly to check things out closer. Then I stopped 50 feet away so he had to walk to me and I could look him over. Lots of nuts out there.

Sorry I thought you were serious, I have been getting s*** for this when the thread was supposed to be about a crappy 911 operator. If you were alone you would do the right thing not stopping. I drove by first and checked things out, then I did a U turn and rolled up slowly to check things out. Then I stopped 50 feet away so he had to walk to me and I could look him over. Lots of nuts out there.

Hell, no! I thought my potato line gave me away. ;)

If you see one of those you should call your attorney before calling ANYONE else.:lol:

Fascinating. On another thread you're talking about how people shouldn't get involved and should just let the cops handle things.:confused:

"Robberies in this area have increased...every night a lone, empty vehicle is in the lot" isn't the same as "stranded in the desert"

Two completely different scenarios with different concerns and risks. Aren't these differences extremely notable to you? but I'm just admittedly irritated with him for just being ridiculous. Calling 911 for a tow and then getting upset when, surprise, they're not a not a towing-service?

Back
Top Bottom