• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

9 potential mass shootings stopped by armed citizens...

Goshin

Burned Out Ex-Mod
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Well there it is.....

9 Potential Mass Shootings That Were Stopped By Someone With A Personally-Owned Firearm |

Oct. 1, 1997
Luke Woodham fatally stabbed and bludgeoned his mother and went on to kill two students and injure seven others at his high school. Woodham was stopped by Assistant Principal Joel Myrick, a U.S. Army Reserve commander, who detained Woodham by using a .45 caliber semi-automatic pistol he kept in his truck, until authorities could show up.

Yes there were casualties... but the point is it could have been far worse in many cases without an armed citizen who stopped the perp before he could complete his plan.

As usual, this thread will be swept under the rug by antis who have no idea how to respond to this rock hard evidence.

Yeah, great evidence!!! 9 out of more than 50 mass shootings (there have been more, but that's the number I can come up with by quickly looking up mass shootings since 97) since 1997. Less then 18% of mass shootings have been thwarted. And even then, they were not really thwarted, they were just stopped from becoming worse.. All of them could have been worse so I am not really sure what that is saying exactly. Does not seem there is a lot of evidence to support the theory that guns are used extensively to stop gun violence. And the evidence that does exist just proves that it does not happen often enough.

Yeah, great evidence!!! 9 out of more than 50 mass shootings (there have been more, but that's the number I can come up with by quickly looking up mass shootings since 97) since 1997. Less then 18% of mass shootings have been thwarted. And even then, they were not really thwarted, they were just stopped from becoming worse.. All of them could have been worse so I am not really sure what that is saying exactly. Does not seem there is a lot of evidence to support the theory that guns are used extensively to stop gun violence. And the evidence that does exist just proves that it does not happen often enough.

Spare me the negative BS.

Any number greater than zero stopped is a good number.

How many lives have you saved lately?

Well there it is.....

9 Potential Mass Shootings That Were Stopped By Someone With A Personally-Owned Firearm |

Yes there were casualties... but the point is it could have been far worse in many cases without an armed citizen who stopped the perp before he could complete his plan.

This has been covered.

http://mobile.slate.com/blogs/crime...tml?original_referrer=https://www.google.com/

You may now commence whining about how unfair liberal anti-gun people are. We will be shielding our eyes out of collective shame for you.

Knocking on wood, we're off to a great start in schools-I believe-all the way through College.
Michigan passed a state CC law for schools and churches, not related to, but on the day of Sandy Hook. I believed heightened security will help.
We need a bill from either or both chambers for these installations to at least CC.
I could only see the first five, but was familiar with a few of them. I'm sure there are a few others too.

Knocking on wood, we're off to a great start in schools-I believe-all the way through College.
Michigan passed a state CC law for schools and churches, not related to, but on the day of Sandy Hook. I believed heightened security will help.
We need a bill from either or both chambers for these installations to at least CC.
As long as the bills have a component that allows for security mixed with some form of private carry it should be okay. What I think needs to happen is just allow personnel with carry licenses to be exempted from the gun ban on school campus, with the requirements for those licenses I feel more than confident that we can trust those who qualify. It's not perfect but nothing in life is. In my city we already have resource officers on campus but even that has drawbacks, there are only so many of them and they can't be everywhere at once, but it is better than nothing.

After reading several school articles, I'm convinced the admins are trying to choose wisely.
Choose teachers/etc. who already have CC and are willing to go to extra training.
Their stipend is enough to cover a few barbeques.
As long as the bills have a component that allows for security mixed with some form of private carry it should be okay. What I think needs to happen is just allow personnel with carry licenses to be exempted from the gun ban on school campus, with the requirements for those licenses I feel more than confident that we can trust those who qualify. It's not perfect but nothing in life is. In my city we already have resource officers on campus but even that has drawbacks, there are only so many of them and they can't be everywhere at once, but it is better than nothing.

After reading several school articles, I'm convinced the admins are trying to choose wisely.
Choose teachers/etc. who already have CC and are willing to go to extra training.
Their stipend is enough to cover a few barbeques.
Well, we'll see in the long run. It's obvious that we have to protect our kids, I personally think CCW teachers is a good way to do it, fortunately these things are pretty rare but that rarity doesn't matter in the event of an incident.

What thwarted the other 41?

What thwarted the other 41?

Most of the time, the arrival of armed men with guns. In many cases, police.

Pity the police can't be everywhere all the time... oh wait a minute! I know! If I we armed honest citizens.... hmm....

:lamo

Pity the police can't be everywhere all the time... oh wait a minute! I know! If I we armed honest citizens.... hmm....

According to Capster, they weren't thwarted:

Less then 18% of mass shootings have been thwarted.

So a fat lot of good waiting for the police to protect you does.

Of course, Capster's preferred, stated solution is to have the government forcibly overturn every rock and cushion in every square inch of private property in the United States to collect every last gun.

According to Capster, they weren't thwarted:

So a fat lot of good waiting for the police to protect you does.

Of course, Capster's preferred, stated solution is to have the government forcibly overturn every rock and cushion in every square inch of private property in the United States to collect every last gun.

Over my dead body, and probably a lot of other bodies.

I hope to never have to use my firearm against another human being, but if it's a person victimizing either myself, a loved one, or a defenseless innocent I will do what I have to do. I feel that of all the gun owners I know that I am not the exception to the rule.

Over my dead body, and probably a lot of other bodies.

:shrug: One cannot make sense of the idea that despotism is preferable to live under than freedom.

I hope to never have to use my firearm against another human being, but if it's a person victimizing either myself, a loved one, or a defenseless innocent I will do what I have to do. I feel that of all the gun owners I know that I am not the exception to the rule.

Amen.

I've already been in situations that would probably have gone BADLY if I had not been armed... but fortunately I haven't had to pull the trigger. May it stay that way.

Amen.

I've already been in situations that would probably have gone BADLY if I had not been armed... but fortunately I haven't had to pull the trigger. May it stay that way.
Same here. The old saying "nothing good happens after midnight" applies to my experiences. I'm an insomniac and get cabin fever easily, so I may go to shoot a game of pool, find a place to socialize, etc. well, I had to stop a stalking incident a few years back, the firearm never left the holster and I didn't make a direct threat to the stalker but my body language told the little wannabe thug that his desire to get into a bartenders pants under any circumstances would not be fulfilled that night. I didn't carry into the bar, that would have been a felony, however in my vehicle(sober) I noticed after close he had his eyes glued to the girl, and was all over her the whole night, I got "rapey" body language off of him, when he saw the piece on the dashboard, he left.

Ah. I see no one bothered to read the link I posted. Probably because it would conflict with your already fixed beliefs.

Note that out of the nine occurrences, five were stopped by off duty cops, one by an army reserve officer, and another by a trained security guard. There basicaly broils down to one incident out of the nine that is a legitimate "ordinary honest citizen' with a weapon stopping a crime.

I wonder why no one can come up with any more than one?

Well there it is.....

So, I can appreciate someone having the ability to stop something like this from happening. I wonder though how many deaths from a firearm never would have happened if there were more strict gun control laws. I am torn on this issue but thought this was interesting.

Countries With High Gun Ownership Have More Firearms Deaths : Shots - Health News : NPR

Ah. I see no one bothered to read the link I posted. Probably because it would conflict with your already fixed beliefs.

Note that out of the nine occurrences, five were stopped by off duty cops, one by an army reserve officer, and another by a trained security guard. There basicaly broils down to one incident out of the nine that is a legitimate "ordinary honest citizen' with a weapon stopping a crime.

I wonder why no one can come up with any more than one?

I suspect people ignored it because it's poppycock.

Here's the operative paragraph, which is actually different from what you claim above:

First of all, five of the nine “potential mass shootings” that the article mentions were thwarted not by brave private citizens but by off-duty or former police officers, two of whom were working as security personnel at the venues where the incidents took place. A sixth was stopped by an Army Reserve officer. A seventh was allegedly stopped by a certified security guard who used to work at the mall where the incident took place. (I say “allegedly” because there’s no evidence to corroborate the guard’s claim that he compelled the shooter to retreat.) These people may have been using their personally owned firearms, yes, but they also knew how to use them in dangerous situations. It’s absurd to pretend that these well-trained authority figures can be compared to untrained civilians with concealed-carry permits and guns they bought at Walmart. The former have been taught how to respond to crisis situations. The latter, generally, have not.

Their argument is stupid. These were all private citizens with their own guns. They try to make something of the fact that they were trained (though how many "security guards" really are?), so somehow, that doesn't count, and makes the assumption that only these types of people have had any training or practice, which is obscenely ignorant.

Did you lap this up because it says something you want to believe?

This has been covered.

Mass shootings, concealed carry: 9 things wrong with BuzzFeed

You may now commence whining about how unfair liberal anti-gun people are. We will be shielding our eyes out of collective shame for you.

So you would rather ensure you and everyone else is 100% reliant upon someone else to intervene even if that means many more die in the process. You seem to be more concerned with an armed citizen being unsuccessful in intervening than lives saved if he is successful. Hoping it only happens to someone else rather than you before police arrive is not really a form of defense.....If someone is willing to intervene, "play Rambo" or "play John Wayne", that should be admired rather than denigrated. The fact that some have been injured themselves in the process is not cause for wringing hands and does not in anyway cause me to question if I should get involved if someone else's life is threatened. What I question is the intelligence and integrity of someone telling me I should not be permitted to own the tools I need to do so safely.

Perhaps this will make you feel more secure in your choice. Did you know that when police officers fire upon armed/unarmed individuals without any return fire, their average hit rate is 30%? They score 18% of the time when fired upon. With those statistics, you are probably as safe with an armed CCW carrier as a police officer. NYPD and LAPD police officers have shot and injured more innocent people than CCW holders.

Back
Top Bottom