• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

9 people shot in mass shooting at South Carolina lounge, police say.

Torus34

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
The headline: 9 people shot in mass shooting at South Carolina lounge, police say

The lede: A mass shooting in Furman, South Carolina, left at least nine people injured Sunday morning, according to the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division (SLED). "SLED agents are leading an investigation into a shooting at Cara's Lounge in Hampton County this morning where at least nine people were shot," SLED said in a news release. "At this time there are no fatalities."

The link: cnn.com/2022/04/17/us/hampton-county-south-carolina-shooting/index.html

The comment: Guns.

Again.

Nine mor people shot.

On average in the United States of America, one person dies from gunshot every 30 minutes. This is the level of carnage that results from our prsent laws and their level of enforcement.

Guns.

Again.

Stay safe 'n well . . . 'n un-shot.

Hi, Emily L.

Statistics can sometimes produce a wry smile. The US gun-related deaths in 2022 were 12.2 per 100,000 population. The same statistic for Australia? 1.04.

One country was settled by peace-seeking pilgrims. The other was settled by transported convicts.

Regards, stay safe 'n well . . . 'n un-shot.

HAMPTON, S.C. (AP) — Authorities in South Carolina say they are investigating shooting at a nightclub in Hampton County early Sunday that left at least nine people injured. It was the second mass shooting in the state over the Easter holiday weekend, and the third in the nation.

The South Carolina shootings and one in Pittsburgh that left two minors dead early Sunday at least 31 people injured.

South Carolina’s State Law Enforcement Division is investigating the early Sunday shooting at Cara’s Lounge in Hampton County. The agency said in an email there were no reported fatalities. No information was immediately available on the severity of the injuries. Hampton County is roughly 80 miles (about 129 kilometers) west of Charleston. A phone call to the nightclub was not answered.

In Pittsburgh, meanwhile , two minors were killed an d at least eight people were injured during a shooting at a house party. The shooting, which followed an altercation, happened around 12:30 a.m. during a party at a short-term rental property where hundreds of people had gathered — the “vast majority” of them underage, Chief Scott Schubert of the Pittsburgh police department told reporters.

I know the gun did the shooting all by itself without needing alcohol or an asshole to help it out
With almost 20,000 deaths from gunshot in 2020 it appears your country has more than its fair share of arseholes. In Britain in 2020 there were 30 (thirty) such fatalities. Something is clearly seriously wrong in America-and I don't want to hear 'only bad guys with guns...' It's guns, period, their ready availability, and the absurdly anachronistic 2nd Amendment which are the root cause of this daily carnage. It's way past time America grew up and discarded its gun culture as a bad idea in 2022.

Last edited:
The headline: 9 people shot in mass shooting at South Carolina lounge, police say

The lede: A mass shooting in Furman, South Carolina, left at least nine people injured Sunday morning, according to the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division (SLED). "SLED agents are leading an investigation into a shooting at Cara's Lounge in Hampton County this morning where at least nine people were shot," SLED said in a news release. "At this time there are no fatalities."

The link: cnn.com/2022/04/17/us/hampton-county-south-carolina-shooting/index.html

Again.

Nine mor people shot.

On average in the United States of America, one person dies from gunshot every 30 minutes. This is the level of carnage that results from our prsent laws and their level of enforcement.

Guns.

Again.

I own a gun.

It has never shot anyone. If I don't pick it up and cary it, it pretty much just stays where I left it.

With almost 20,000 deaths from gunshot in 2020 it appears your country has more than its fair share of arseholes. In Britain in 2020 there were 30 (thirty) such fatalities. Something is clearly seriously wrong in America-and I don't want to hear 'only bad guys with guns...' It's guns, period, their ready availability, and the absurdly anachronistic 2nd Amendment which are the root cause of this daily carnage. It's way past time America grew up and discarded its gun culture as a bad idea in 2022.
If you ignore all the other contributing factors and simply go for the low hanging fruit you’re left with claiming it’s all the guns fault.

If you ignore all the other contributing factors and simply go for the low hanging fruit you’re left with claiming it’s all the guns fault.
The issue here is GUN VIOLENCE. Not knife violence, not car violence, not pillow fights violence, not animal violence and not even people violence. In this thread we are talking about gun violence.

Violence committed by a gun is easy, abrupt, efficient, horrifying, effective, hard to defend against, and usually unforeseeable and unpredictable.

Why are we talking about gun violence? Because it's the most frequent AND deadly violence that exists in our society. All violence is bad and unwelcomed. But you can't take the "violence" out of violence. You can take the "gun" out of gun violence. Then we can move on to fixing pillow fighting.

The issue here is GUN VIOLENCE. Not knife violence, not car violence, not pillow fights violence, not animal violence and not even people violence. In this thread we are talking about gun violence.

Violence committed by a gun is easy, abrupt, efficient, horrifying, effective, hard to defend against, and usually unforeseeable and unpredictable.

Why are we talking about gun violence? Because it's the most frequent AND deadly violence that exists in our society. All violence is bad and unwelcomed. But you can't take the "violence" out of violence. You can take the "gun" out of gun violence. Then we can move on to fixing pillow fighting.
are you advocating for a confiscation type program? There are states that have enacted most all form of purposed gun control on the table and have not seen the decreases advertise. It’s as if the going after the gun approach we’ve been trying isn’t working out as anticipated

The shooting at Cara's lounge (9 shot) is being kept a secret. I can't even find a presser or any information at all. It was apparently a private party; their website says they close at 10 pm. A witness says it happened out back, not in the lounge itself.

Maybe the police have no idea. No statement from the mayor, no info on the shooting victims. Not even cell phone vids. It's like it never happened.

Last edited:
I own a gun.

It has never shot anyone. If I don't pick it up and cary it, it pretty much just stays where I left it.

Hi, code1211.

I was, at one time, a gun owner*, NRA and gun club member, paper puncher on weekends and amateur gunsmith, converting military rifles to sporters.

I no longer have a gun in the house. The possibility of theft, with the guns falling into the wrong hands, and the difficulty of adequately securing them against that possibility, proved too much to justify keeping them.

I do miss the sporter-ized Arisaka 6.5. Making a new, turned-down bolt handle and shaping the stock to my satisfaction were tasks which pleased.

Regards, stay safe 'n well . . . 'n un-shot.

* Guns fully registered with the NYC Police Department.

The shooting at Cara's lounge (9 shot) is being kept a secret. I can't even find a presser or any information at all. It was apparently a private party; their website says they close at 10 pm. A witness says it happened out back, not in the lounge itself.

Maybe the police have no idea. No statement from the mayor, no info on the shooting victims. Not even cell phone vids. It's like it never happened.
The calm leveled person me says this is a sign that the police do not think this was a random event. They have a suspicion about the intentions of the shooting versus something like a mall shooting where someone walk in and just randomly shoots into a crowd. They are working from a more informed position and don’t need as much help from the public.

The cynic in me says this leads me to think the shooters or victims don’t make for good TV or fit into the chosen narrative. The may have been bad people doing bad stuff to other bad people, and it’s hard to spin that against other gun owners

You know who isn't protesting mass shootings?

The NRA.

Oh and the Congressional NRA lapdogs.

What's going on in this country? Does one shooter inspire another? It's tragic!
Why worry about what's going on? Just blame Republicans, white males, Christians, global warming and racism. As long as you have someone to blame (and it's not you) you're good to go!

Again.

Nine mor people shot.

Guns.

Again.

Oh hey, another week.

I would suggest that if you take people out of the equation then gun violence will drop significantly as most guns are rather lazy and just hang out in their holsters unless people are around.

Why worry about what's going on? Just blame Republicans, white males, Christians, global warming and racism. As long as you have someone to blame (and it's not you) you're good to go!
Well, since I have never used any of my guns to shoot and or shoot and kill anyone then obviously it is not my fault.

I am good to go.

I blame all of those folks who have shot or shot and killed others.

Again.

Nine mor people shot.

Guns.

Again.

What present law was not enforced which caused this incident? What new law would you propose that is constitutional, that would have prevented this incident?

Again.

Nine mor people shot.

Guns.

Again.

South Carolina: Police arrest suspect, 22, after 14 injured in Columbia mall shooting​

Officials are still looking for two other suspects believed to be connected to the shooting​

Jewayne M. Price, 22, was arrested and charged with unlawful carrying of a pistol and faces additional charges after he allegedly shot at least nine people, causing a fearful moment for shoppers, several of whom were also injured in a stampede while attempting to flee the scene, Count on News reported.
"Nine of the victims suffered gunshot wounds; five of the victims suffered other injuries including broken bones lacerations and a head injury while attempting to leave the mall for safety," Columbia Police said, according to the report.

https://twitter.com/ColumbiaPDSC
2:00 PM · Apr 17, 2022
dgGWm4RQ_normal.jpg

Columbia Police Dept

@ColumbiaPDSC

#ColumbiaPDSC Update: In a court hearing a short time ago, a judge set a $25,000 surety bond for shooting suspect Jewayne Price. He is also on house arrest & ordered to wear an ankle monitor. The judge will allow Price to travel from home to work certain times of the day.

Back
Top Bottom