• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

9/11 remembered by Condoleezza Rice, @ Ground Zero & by Peter Dow.

Peter Dow

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
9/11: Condoleezza Rice kept her head and calmed the world

9/11: Condoleezza Rice kept her head and calmed the world (YouTube)

Clip from a feature-length drama-documentary "9/11: State of Emergency" to be broadcast on British TV Channel 4 today, September 11, 2010, which tells the story of 9/11 in the words of key political and military leaders as well as ordinary people who suddenly found themselves on the frontlines of a new kind of war.

In the chaos of the day, many people faced split-second decisions that they had never expected or planned for - and their actions could make the difference between life and death. Through a minute-by-minute investigation, this film tells the story of those whose choices would help shape the outcome of that fateful day.

Transcript of this video clip featuring Condoleezza Rice.

Condoleezza Rice
When the second plane went in, I knew it was a terrorist attack. When the plane into the Pentagon, I though it might be all out attacks, all over Washington, all over the United States.

The Secret Service came in and they said 'You have got to go to the bunker'.

I remember just being driven along, almost propelled along. We had no idea where it was safe and where it wasn't. We didn't think the bunker of the White House was safe at that point.

Commentary
100 feet below ground, Rice joins Vice President Dick Cheney and other senior officials, all struggling to understand the scale of the crisis.

Condoleezza Rice
"Norm Mineta, the Transportation Secretary, was tracking tail numbers of aircraft on a yellow pad. He's calling out, he's saying 'What happened to 671? What happened to 123? And he's trying to make sense of what's going on.

My first thought was - get a message out to the world that the United States of America has not been decapitated. These pictures must have been terrifying and that it must have seemed that the United States was coming apart?

My test was to keep my head about me and to make certain that people around the world didn't panic."

9/11 anniversary: Peter Dow's message from Scotland

9/11 anniversary: Peter Dow's message from Scotland (YouTube)

From Ground Zero, New York, September 11th, 2010.

A choir sing "The Star-Spangled Banner" the national anthem of the United States of America.

The New York City Port Authority Police Pipes and Drums Band play.

Peter Dow, Scottish Republican
"Here in Scotland, we are watching the 9/11 ceremonies live from America. The Scots remember with Americans, we mourn with Americans and we honour with Americans, because we love Americans and we stand with the American flag and the republic for which it stands.

Our unity, between Scots, Britons and Americans will never be broken - not by any number of terrorist attacks and atrocities, nor, certainly, by a Queen's minister shamefully releasing the Lockerbie bomber.

We don't need to sacrifice our principles for their oil. All we need is to be true to ourselves and to our friends.

For victory for freedom in the war on terror."

9/11: Condoleezza Rice kept her head and calmed the world

9/11: Condoleezza Rice kept her head and calmed the world (YouTube)

Clip from a feature-length drama-documentary "9/11: State of Emergency" to be broadcast on British TV Channel 4 today, September 11, 2010, which tells the story of 9/11 in the words of key political and military leaders as well as ordinary people who suddenly found themselves on the frontlines of a new kind of war.

In the chaos of the day, many people faced split-second decisions that they had never expected or planned for - and their actions could make the difference between life and death. Through a minute-by-minute investigation, this film tells the story of those whose choices would help shape the outcome of that fateful day.

Transcript of this video clip featuring Condoleezza Rice.

Condoleezza Rice
When the second plane went in, I knew it was a terrorist attack. When the plane into the Pentagon, I though it might be all out attacks, all over Washington, all over the United States.

The Secret Service came in and they said 'You have got to go to the bunker'.

I remember just being driven along, almost propelled along. We had no idea where it was safe and where it wasn't. We didn't think the bunker of the White House was safe at that point.

Commentary
100 feet below ground, Rice joins Vice President Dick Cheney and other senior officials, all struggling to understand the scale of the crisis.

Condoleezza Rice
"Norm Mineta, the Transportation Secretary, was tracking tail numbers of aircraft on a yellow pad. He's calling out, he's saying 'What happened to 671? What happened to 123? And he's trying to make sense of what's going on.

My first thought was - get a message out to the world that the United States of America has not been decapitated. These pictures must have been terrifying and that it must have seemed that the United States was coming apart?

My test was to keep my head about me and to make certain that people around the world didn't panic."

9/11 anniversary: Peter Dow's message from Scotland

9/11 anniversary: Peter Dow's message from Scotland (YouTube)

From Ground Zero, New York, September 11th, 2010.

A choir sing "The Star-Spangled Banner" the national anthem of the United States of America.

The New York City Port Authority Police Pipes and Drums Band play.

Peter Dow, Scottish Republican
"Here in Scotland, we are watching the 9/11 ceremonies live from America. The Scots remember with Americans, we mourn with Americans and we honour with Americans, because we love Americans and we stand with the American flag and the republic for which it stands.

Our unity, between Scots, Britons and Americans will never be broken - not by any number of terrorist attacks and atrocities, nor, certainly, by a Queen's minister shamefully releasing the Lockerbie bomber.

We don't need to sacrifice our principles for their oil. All we need is to be true to ourselves and to our friends.

For victory for freedom in the war on terror."

I wish this had been seen more across the US.

It's touching to know that people on a tiny ilsand on the other side of the Atlantic think of this country.

9/11: Condoleezza Rice in the White House. Crisis controlled

9/11: Condoleezza Rice in the White House. Crisis controlled. (YouTube)

Video summary

September 11 2001. Al Qaeda terrorists hijack US airplanes and crash them into high value targets.

With the President in Florida, National Security Advisor, Condoleezza Rice must try and stop the chaos spiralling out of control.

Condoleezza Rice tells the President in a raised voice that he cannot come back to the White House yet and hangs up.

Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld is AWOL surveying the damage of the attack on the Pentagon and helping the wounded when he should be in the Pentagon Command Center co-ordinating the military response. Neither the President, his chief of staff nor Condoleezza Rice can contact Rumsfeld at a critical time.

The US military forces raise their alert level to DEFCON 3, the highest state of war readiness since the Cuban missile crisis but Condoleezza Rice keeps her head and uses the hot line to call the Kremlin to stop a cold-war-style of escalating alerts.

Edited extracts from a documentary, partially dramatised for British Channel 4. 14 minutes 2 seconds.

I wish this had been seen more across the US.

It's touching to know that people on a tiny ilsand on the other side of the Atlantic think of this country.

I watched last night and it was incredible, for it shows how disorganized large institutions can be and how impossible it is to exactly know what was happening despite high technology.

Hopefully it will be shown on your networks soon ... we may be a tiny island but we are the best wee country in the wuruld, as they say here ...:2wave:

Back
Top Bottom