• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

9/11 families' fury as Obama compares BP oil spill to Twin Towers attack Read more:

Renae

Banned
Suspended
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
British families of 9/11 victims described Barack Obama as ‘cruel’ yesterday for comparing the terrorist outrage to the BP oil spill.
The U.S. president said there were ‘echoes’ between the Gulf of Mexico disaster and the Al Qaeda suicide attacks which killed 2,995 people, including 67 Britons.
He said that just as the events of September 11, 2001, had profoundly shaped ‘our view of our vulnerabilities and our foreign policy’, so the oil disaster would shape thinking on the environment and energy for years to come.
Those who lost loved ones when terrorists flew hijacked planes into the Twin Towers of New York’s World Trade Centre said Mr Obama’s remarks were yet another attempt to slur the UK.

Read more: BP OIL SPILL: Fury as Obama compares Gulf leak to 9/11 attacks | Mail Online

9/11? Seriously? Have that reached that level of desperation???

Re: 9/11 families' fury as Obama compares BP oil spill to Twin Towers attack Read mo

Is there somewhere to find the actual quote, without all the editing and paraphrasing? As a rule I never take anything Daily Mail puts out at face value.

edit: This is as clean as I've found it:
"In the same way that our view of our vulnerabilities and our foreign policy was shaped profoundly by 9/11, I think this disaster is going to shape how we think about the environment and energy for many years to come,"

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/pol...ape_how_we_think_for_years.html#ixzz0qsIuSYmV
Not really as

I think the comparison is somewhat apt. Both were major situations we weren't very well prepared for, and I agree that our energy and environmental policy will change due to the oil spill. I don't know about the "profoundly" part, though. 9/11 was profound. This is more like "very significant."

Last edited:
Re: 9/11 families' fury as Obama compares BP oil spill to Twin Towers attack Read mo

Kind of a stretch. Suspect there are better things to spend time doggin' Obama on......

I agree with Obama's assessment. I just hope we don't go overboard and do over-the-top random and fairly useless activity like we did after 9/11.

Last edited:

Kind of a stretch. Suspect there are better things to spend time doggin' Obama on......

I'm just astounded bringing 9/11 up. That's low. I mean, comparing it to Katrina, that makes sense. 9/11 doesn't. Why do you think I had hate for Rudy in 2008? All the damn abuse of 9/11.

I'm just astounded bringing 9/11 up. That's low. I mean, comparing it to Katrina, that makes sense. 9/11 doesn't. Why do you think I had hate for Rudy in 2008? All the damn abuse of 9/11.

I think either one is fine. Large scale problems like 9/11 or Katrina always expose problems with whatever system is designed to respond to it. If you are looking at it that way, it is a fair comparison.

I think either one is fine. Large scale problems like 9/11 or Katrina always expose problems with whatever system is designed to respond to it. If you are looking at it that way, it is a fair comparison.

Yeah but one was made caused through malicious intent against innocent people and one was a natural disaster...

While I SEE your point, decorum at the very least says it's not to bring up.

Yeah but one was made caused through malicious intent against innocent people and one was a natural disaster...

While I SEE your point, decorum at the very least says it's not to bring up.

I think we will have to agree to disagree. I see nothing wrong with bringing it up. Pearl Harbor also revealed inadequacies in the system. Perhaps that is more kosher because it happened further in the past and there is probably less emotional attachment to that for you? (Or at least I assume, given that you are younger than navy pride)

This just goes to show how far Obama will stoop to redeem his reputation.

I don't think he's calling the oil spill another 9/11 and it's dishonest to claim that he is. He is saying that it's a groundbreaking event that has the potential to cause a shift in how policy is made concerning the environment, just like how 9/11 altered the way the U.S. does foreign policy.

I actually disagree with him, but only in the sense that 9/11 didn't really change how the U.S. does foreign policy, it just reinforced it. And the jury is still out on how environmental policy will be shaped by the oil spill. Time will tell once the offshore drilling ban is lifted and how procedures are change. So far it's just all talk.

I agree with Obama's assessment. I just hope we don't go overboard and do over-the-top random and fairly useless activity like we did after 9/11.

(deep inhale) Bush Bush Bush Bush Bush Bush Bush Bush Bush.....

(deep inhale) Bush Bush Bush Bush Bush Bush Bush Bush Bush.....

Bush was part of it, but its still going on today. You are never going to plug all the holes that a terrorist can sneak through.

Besides, there's nothing wrong with blaming Bush for what he screwed up. Heck, people are still blaming things on Carter, Reagan, and Clinton. (I don't see much blamed on Bush Sr. though, I guess he was too prudent)

Last edited:

Bush was part of it, but its still going on today. You are never going to plug all the holes that a terrorist can sneak through.

Besides, there's nothing wrong with blaming Bush for what he screwed up. Heck, people are still blaming things on Carter, Reagan, and Clinton. (I don't see much blamed on Bush Sr. though, I guess he was too prudent)

With regards to your last sentence.
This is fair and correct, problems that have come about because of a weakening of Regulatioary rules can be blamed on those administrations that weakened such rules.

Back
Top Bottom