• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

9/11/01: The Today Show

CNN probably just reran the twitter feed of 9/11.

So our rebuilding, and having some rememberance on 9/11 is dwelling?

Re-building the towers, remembering the victims and marking the day are all positive things. Watching minute by minute coverage of the tradegy every year is dwelling/ a little morbid but again thats just my opinion.

I've always valued history and agree with George Santayana that those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. And I'm grateful for reporting as it has evolved and beginning with Matthew Brady's photographs. I wasn't alive When Pearl Harbor attacked, but the adults when I was growing up never forgot just as those who were alive when JFK was assassinated won't and those who were alive and adults won't ever forget 9-11.

And I think it's important to realize that Point du Hoc isn't just a setting in Saving Private Ryan. On the 50th anniversary of D-Day there was extensive media coverage, and if I hadn't been reading one of the articles about someone who survived, I wouldn't have known that as those brave men tried to reach the shore, their stomach and bowels emptied, that it wasn't just blood and guts they were struggling through. I didn't grow up wearing a brown shirt to school every day because of those men.

When I was dressing for work this morning, Fox was replaying its live coverage. Brit Hume was the major news editor, and he's one reason I began watching Fox. I've appreciated his work since his ABC/DC beat days. And I'd never heard that network's coverage because I was at work when the attacks began. I don't even remember what network was on at work as people crowded around the one TV, filling up the room and spilling into the hall. The people closest to the TV were on their knees praying, and behind me were retired Marines, and as we watched the second plane fly into the tower, they said in unison, "This is a terrorist attack."

Many lives were lost that day and many have died since because of it. It too was a day that will live in infamy, and we are, at least in part, where we are and who we are because of it. I was really glad this morning to have heard coverage I never had and to reflect on it all. In forgetting lies the tragedy.

The original broadcast of the 2001 Sept. 11th Today Show? Actually, that's the sort of thing I would watch.

Obviously you were a kid when that **** happened....

That day was like a movie..... Towers collapsing, planes crashing everywhere, 15 hijacked aircrafts... It was a mess...

I woke up right after the first tower was hit.... Then the second I saw live.... That day was surreal.... It's one of those things where you say to yourself "is this really happening."

It was such a nice day (weather) to boot....

I'll always remember 9/11....

I had a job interview that day at my local mall and even went to it but they closed it because everyone had no idea what was going on...

The original broadcast of the 2001 Sept. 11th Today Show? Actually, that's the sort of thing I would watch.

I wish I'd known. I missed it.

Yea, but see. Bush is not and has not been the president for 5 years.
Move on from Bush. Let Obama stand or fall on his own.

They want us to move on already from thousands of pulverized bodies on the streets of Manhatten (get over it!), yet Bush is resonsible for all Obama's failures.

They want us to move on already from thousands of pulverized bodies on the streets of Manhatten (get over it!), yet Bush is resonsible for all Obama's failures.

And if you dont believe that you are racist. Hahahahaha
You have to keep in mind, though they will swear its not true. There is a wide and long under tone of hatred towards the US. Even and maybe especially from our "allies".

They should show it every day, just to keep us remembering what evil is out there and willing to come for us.
That's exactly what Islamic terrorists want us to do, never move on. I didn't watch any of it. We had a moment of silence for the families at our morning formation and then carried on with our days. It was such a non-issue that when asked if we knew what today was, one Marine yelled "Hummp Daaaaaay! Yeayah!".
We can't dwell on the past. I totally agree we should memorialize the victims. Totally agree that we should have a ceremony every single year on 9/11. I don't think we should relive the moment every year. It should be the first thing mentioned by news stations, the memorial services should be covered, then the day moves along.

That's exactly what Islamic terrorists want us to do, never move on. I didn't watch any of it. We had a moment of silence for the families at our morning formation and then carried on with our days. It was such a non-issue that when asked if we knew what today was, one Marine yelled "Hummp Daaaaaay! Yeayah!".
We can't dwell on the past. I totally agree we should memorialize the victims. Totally agree that we should have a ceremony every single year on 9/11. I don't think we should relive the moment every year. It should be the first thing mentioned by news stations, the memorial services should be covered, then the day moves along.
That Marine needs more training.
Proably some punk that was in elementary school during 9/11 and has no idea.
But you were right on one thing. You dont HAVE to watch it. I only watched a few quick minutes of any of it.
But I remember it every day and will till I die.

That Marine needs more training.
Proably some punk that was in elementary school during 9/11 and has no idea.
But you were right on one thing. You dont HAVE to watch it. I only watched a few quick minutes of any of it.
But I remember it every day and will till I die.
Why does that Marine need training? Are we supposed to hang our heads and cry every 9/11? No way.

Marines have an odd way of dealing with uncomfortable subjects as well. For instance, during the 2003 Iraq invasion, we were rolling down Hwy 1. There was a dead Iraqi body laying across the road that every single vehicle had run over. Well, due to the heat, his genitals had swollen to a ghastly size. It was a disturbing image. A Marine got on the radio and said, "Man....what a waste of a perfectly good ****." It totally broke the moment and helped everyone deal with it.

Well, so a few comments on here that I find a bit odd about 9/11, but not unexpected.

Just remember, al qaeda is still out there, still our enemy, and would cut your head off without thinking twice. I think now they are also eating hearts, so they might do that too. Great how they have evolved, isn't it?

After WWII, Japan and Germany figured out that we aren't so bad, and became out allies. Not those boys over in AQ, they hate us just as much today as they ever did.

And let's clear up the dopey misconception that we attacked Iraq because of some involvement in 9/11. The rules changed on that day, and sorry, but we are not waiting around for you to build a nuke/chemical weapon and detonate it in NYC, Washington, or Israel. We take you out. We gave them plenty of time to comply, they didn't, so we did what we said we would do. Pretty cut and dry.

But, now we have Obama, and the world doesn't really respect us that much anymore, they kind of laugh at us, through him.

So, we need not forget, or push it out of sight, more than ever.

Why does that Marine need training? Are we supposed to hang our heads and cry every 9/11? No way.

Marines have an odd way of dealing with uncomfortable subjects as well. For instance, during the 2003 Iraq invasion, we were rolling down Hwy 1. There was a dead Iraqi body laying across the road that every single vehicle had run over. Well, due to the heat, his genitals had swollen to a ghastly size. It was a disturbing image. A Marine got on the radio and said, "Man....what a waste of a perfectly good ****." It totally broke the moment and helped everyone deal with it.
Iam all for levity in a time of sorrow, but does said Marine really understand the day? Or is he just a smart ass?
I am finding more and more people with very short attention spans that really care what happend 12 years ago. Their life is what they are interested in. Period. Nothing else matters. Espesially with the younger generations.

Iam all for levity in a time of sorrow, but does said Marine really understand the day? Or is he just a smart ass?
I am finding more and more people with very short attention spans that really care what happend 12 years ago. Their life is what they are interested in. Period. Nothing else matters. Espesially with the younger generations.
Tell you what bud. He cared enough to join the Marine Corps in a time of war. That's caring enough for me. What have you done?

Tell you what bud. He cared enough to join the Marine Corps in a time of war. That's caring enough for me. What have you done?

Ah, the old "I/he is in the service" to try to end the debate.
Very happy and thankful for all service members efforts.
What have I done? Nothing that needs to be on here. I dont use my past to bolster what I have to say today.

Ah, the old "I/he is in the service" to try to end the debate.
Very happy and thankful for all service members efforts.
What have I done? Nothing that needs to be on here. I dont use my past to bolster what I have to say today.
End what debate? We're debating?

Yeh you should def get over it its been 12 years the guy behind it is dead and the towers re-built. Nothing wrong with a minute of reflection every year on the date but its very odd to me how they loop those news bullitins on the day so everyone can re-live it once a year, I very much doubt the families affected sit there every year glued to the TV because I imagine they have moved on ( or are trying to) and America shoudl probably do the same.

Yeah it has been 12 years. Yes, the guy behind it is dead (unless you believe conspiracy theorists). No the towers have NOT been rebuilt and never will be. There is a memorial in their place.

But the effects of that day are still very much present.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom