• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

8th anniversary of hurricane Katrina

P. Kersey

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Today is the 8th anniversary of Katrina and the failure of the Corps of Engineers levees that flooded New Orleans after the storm.

According to NOAA The devastation along the Gulf Coast
from Hurricane Katrina was staggering.
The physical destruction and personal suffering surmounted that of any U.S. weather
disaster in recent history.
The loss of life and extraordin
ary damage made Katrina the
costliest hurricane in U.S. hist
ory and one of the five deadli
est hurricanes to ever strike
the U.S.

I lived for 21 days without power. We have a generator but could only run it a few hours a day. Couldn't get gasoline.No power to pump it with anyway..IF the station was still standing... No stores were open...

Katrina triggered the biggest man made disaster in u.s history when the levees failed.80% of New Orleans was under water. New Orleans ceased to exist as a city for weeks afterward.

No industry operated..no businesses were open..city government ceased to function, the port was closed and wrecked..the airport was closed. Bridges were down, erased or too badly damaged to use.

The morning after the storm everything was pretty normal in some areas..I mean trees were down and power was out and the place looked like a hurricane had hit. :) ...buildings and cars wrecked..but we've all seen that before...but damn where the hell is all this water coming from?..we soon found out.

I'm not in a flood zone so we had no water damage and the house stood up well. The eye of the storm passed right over our area so we got hammered from both sides of the storm.

My house is 12 feet in the air. Not to prevent flooding, but because it's a cool way to build a house. It's like living in a tree house almost. Under the house is concrete so we had a decent place to sit out of the sun and we'd sleep a few hours a night in my shop downstatirs with the ac on and a fan and the tv...maybe 3 or 4 hours a day is all we could run the genny. We only went in the house to use the bathroom..it was too hot to hang around inside. I mean hot.

We did our cooking on a propane grill. We (everyone who lives in a hurricane zone) cook everything in our freezers and refrigerators first before the storm hits because we know the power will be out. After that there's no food except what you had in cans..and when all that was finally gone too it was tough.

The national guard set up drive through centers where you pulled in and they asked how many in the family..gave you a couple bags of ice and a couple of cases of MRE's. and a couple cases of bottled water. You had to do this every day. We lived on MRE's and bottled water for weeks...Nothing else.

I left on Sunday afternoon for Tenn and the storm made landfall monday morning. We stayed until tuesday night and after seeing the looting going on I said hell no..I'm going home. Not putting up with that s**t.

We were ok in that regard. Around here, "you loot, we shoot" was the motto.

I spent weeks clearing downed trees with a chainsaw...and this was in august...in the deep south. It was 90 degrees or more every day. Our pool was wrecked but the water that was left was good to flush with and rinse off.

I suppose many of you don't care..some probably think it's funny..Imagine everyone you know either homeless having or having badly damaged homes or completely underwater....every building or business you used to go in...destroyed. Some erased off the face of the earth.
It wasn't fun. Ya gotta be tough.

I was going to stay.I've been through a dozen or more hurricanes and we know what to expect and how to prepare, what to do and how to live during and after a hurricane but when I heard THIS on the NOAA weather radio I decided it was time to go.

I'd NEVER heard anything like this before.

Katrina was a bitch.

Look at this report! It's still hard for me to read...
WWUS74 KLIX 281550
NPWLIX

URGENT — WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW ORLEANS LA
1011 AM CDT SUN AUG 28, 2005

...DEVASTATING DAMAGE EXPECTED...

.HURRICANE KATRINA...A MOST POWERFUL HURRICANE WITH UNPRECEDENTED
STRENGTH...RIVALING THE INTENSITY OF HURRICANE CAMILLE OF 1969.

MOST OF THE AREA WILL BE UNINHABITABLE FOR WEEKS...PERHAPS LONGER. AT
LEAST ONE HALF OF WELL CONSTRUCTED HOMES WILL HAVE ROOF AND WALL
FAILURE. ALL GABLED ROOFS WILL FAIL...LEAVING THOSE HOMES SEVERELY
DAMAGED OR DESTROYED.

THE MAJORITY OF INDUSTRIAL BUILDINGS WILL BECOME NON FUNCTIONAL.
PARTIAL TO COMPLETE WALL AND ROOF FAILURE IS EXPECTED. ALL WOOD
FRAMED LOW RISING APARTMENT BUILDINGS WILL BE DESTROYED. CONCRETE
BLOCK LOW RISE APARTMENTS WILL SUSTAIN MAJOR DAMAGE...INCLUDING SOME
WALL AND ROOF FAILURE.

HIGH RISE OFFICE AND APARTMENT BUILDINGS WILL SWAY DANGEROUSLY...A
FEW TO THE POINT OF TOTAL COLLAPSE. ALL WINDOWS WILL BLOW OUT.

AIRBORNE DEBRIS WILL BE WIDESPREAD...AND MAY INCLUDE HEAVY ITEMS SUCH
AS HOUSEHOLD APPLIANCES AND EVEN LIGHT VEHICLES. SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES
AND LIGHT TRUCKS WILL BE MOVED. THE BLOWN DEBRIS WILL CREATE
ADDITIONAL DESTRUCTION. PERSONS...PETS...AND LIVESTOCK EXPOSED TO THE
WINDS WILL FACE CERTAIN DEATH IF STRUCK.

POWER OUTAGES WILL LAST FOR WEEKS...AS MOST POWER POLES WILL BE DOWN
AND TRANSFORMERS DESTROYED. WATER SHORTAGES WILL MAKE HUMAN SUFFERING
INCREDIBLE BY MODERN STANDARDS.

THE VAST MAJORITY OF NATIVE TREES WILL BE SNAPPED OR UPROOTED. ONLY
THE HEARTIEST WILL REMAIN STANDING...BUT BE TOTALLY DEFOLIATED. FEW
CROPS WILL REMAIN. LIVESTOCK LEFT EXPOSED TO THE WINDS WILL BE
KILLED.

AN INLAND HURRICANE WIND WARNING IS ISSUED WHEN SUSTAINED WINDS NEAR
HURRICANE FORCE...OR FREQUENT GUSTS AT OR ABOVE HURRICANE FORCE...ARE
CERTAIN WITHIN THE NEXT 12 TO 24 HOURS.

ONCE TROPICAL STORM AND HURRICANE FORCE WINDS ONSET...DO NOT VENTURE
OUTSIDE!