• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

8th Amendment

dstebbins said:
ooooooookaaaaaaaaaaaay. Then tell me, since we can't change our values, how are we supposed to reduce crime if we don't do something radical? Are you suggesting that we just live in a world of crime?

Here's something radical, anarchy. Without laws there would be no crime.:mrgreen:

I don't believe in Utopia or think that it is attainable. Sure we can strive for it but it is like perfection, impossible to achieve. You show me a place with no crime and I will show you a place to go live. It would be much more reasonable for you to change your lifestyle than to change the lifestyle of a whole continent. Unless you have a plan to keep people from neighboring countries from infiltrating our Utopia, and can eliminate the law of supply and demand, you are spitting into the wind.

dstebbins said:
ooooooookaaaaaaaaaaaay. Then tell me, since we can't change our values, how are we supposed to reduce crime if we don't do something radical? Are you suggesting that we just live in a world of crime?

We can take other steps to reduce crime, but your ideas are ridiculously extreme. What makes you think that completely eliminating "unorganized crime" should be the ultimate goal of our government? Protecting our liberty, whether from criminals or from itself, should be the ultimate goal of government, and your policies would do exactly the opposite.

independent_thinker2002 said:
Here's something radical, anarchy. Without laws there would be no crime.:mrgreen:

I don't believe in Utopia or think that it is attainable. Sure we can strive for it but it is like perfection, impossible to achieve. You show me a place with no crime and I will show you a place to go live. It would be much more reasonable for you to change your lifestyle than to change the lifestyle of a whole continent. Unless you have a plan to keep people from neighboring countries from infiltrating our Utopia, and can eliminate the law of supply and demand, you are spitting into the wind.
You know what I mean, jackass.

Kandahar said:
We can take other steps to reduce crime, but your ideas are ridiculously extreme. What makes you think that completely eliminating "unorganized crime" should be the ultimate goal of our government? Protecting our liberty, whether from criminals or from itself, should be the ultimate goal of government, and your policies would do exactly the opposite.
would you care to elaborate on what "other steps" mean?

dstebbins said:

Every time you do this, you undermine your own credibility. Knock it off.

dstebbins said:
would you care to elaborate on what "other steps" mean?

Assuming I accept your premise that crime is too high in this country and therefore we need to take more action (which I'm not sure I do), we can simply improve the same things we're doing now, to various degrees: More enforcement of current laws, more police officers, more rehabilitation of habitual criminals, more education, etc. We can also repeal all drug laws to reduce crime by 75+ percent virtually overnight.

Kandahar said:
Assuming I accept your premise that crime is too high in this country and therefore we need to take more action (which I'm not sure I do), we can simply improve the same things we're doing now, to various degrees: More enforcement of current laws, more police officers, more rehabilitation of habitual criminals, more education, etc.
And this would cost how much again? We may be the richest nation in the world, but we're not all-powerfully rich. Even with a $2 trillion+ budget the federal government has a deficit of almost half a trillion. Imagine what the state governments have.

We can also repeal all drug laws to reduce crime by 75+ percent virtually overnight.
drugs are illegal for a reason. They cause harm to everybody, not just the person doing them. Second-hand crack is just as harmful as smoking the crap yourself, plus they hurt the economy because of the high prices. They also cause people to loose their jobs, thus hurting the economy, which is everyone's responsibility. Welcome to the Second Great Depression.

dstebbins said:
And this would cost how much again? We may be the richest nation in the world, but we're not all-powerfully rich. Even with a $2 trillion+ budget the federal government has a deficit of almost half a trillion. Imagine what the state governments have.

Well personally I think the level of crime in this country is at an acceptable level. There are certain parts of the country that could definitely stand to implement more of my suggestions, but overall it's not like crime is out of control in the United States.

You asked what else could be done short of executing people for speeding violations; I gave an answer.

dstebbins said:
drugs are illegal for a reason. They cause harm to everybody, not just the person doing them. Second-hand crack is just as harmful as smoking the crap yourself,

Then you can pass laws against smoking crack around other unwilling people.

dstebbins said:
plus they hurt the economy because of the high prices.

The prices are so high BECAUSE they are illegal, and therefore in short supply.

dstebbins said:
They also cause people to loose their jobs, thus hurting the economy, which is everyone's responsibility.

Your knowledge of economics is greatly lacking at best. If someone gets fired because of general incompetence, such as drug addiction, that helps the economy because a more capable person can replace them and the company can run more efficiently.

dstebbins said:

What, did you read the O'Reilly Factor for kids? Here's how to call people names when you are losing a debate kids. And why the h.e.l.l. don't people know the difference between "lose" and "loose"?

Back
Top Bottom