• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

84% of CNN's Poll "Sample" Watched The Presidential Debate. Only 22% of Americans Watched It On TV.

ReubenSherr

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
84% of Americans polled in CNN's poll giving Biden 16-point lead over Trump responded that they watched the Presidential Debate last week.

Interesting, because according to Neilsen, 73 million people viewed the debate on television, or 22% of the American public.

True, many Americans streamed the debate as well, but 62%?

Seems like CNN might not have grabbed an accurate sample, here. The perception that polling may oversample college-educated voters, and undersample working class or rural voters, might have some merit.

84% of Americans polled in CNN's poll giving Biden 16-point lead over Trump responded that they watched the Presidential Debate last week.

Interesting, because according to Neilsen, 73 million people viewed the debate on television, or 22% of the American public.

True, many Americans streamed the debate as well, but 62%?

Seems like CNN might not have grabbed an accurate sample, here. The perception that polling may oversample college-educated voters, and undersample working class or rural voters, might have some merit.

The percentage of likely voters who watched the debate is most likely substantially larger than the percentage of American people who watched the debate as a whole. Additionally, there are probably a substantial number of people who streamed the debate as it was going or (like in my case) later on.

What those percentages are is anyone's guess, but more than 22% of people watched the debate and probably substantially more than 22% of likely voters watched the debate.

Wow. A lot of people must have lied.

Sorry, I don’t buy that.

Or maybe they watched (parts of) it LATER and not in real time?

Also, if someone uses a tv app from their cable company streaming to their TV - a pretty common setup - do you think that gets counted?

Last edited:
Why do you assume 'working class' voters were less likely to view the debate? The number of Republicans and Democrats who reported watching the debate was about the same.

Or maybe they watched (parts of) it LATER and not in real time?

Yeah, we got through about 5 minutes in real time. A couple of days later I streamed the entire audio while cooking, walking the puppy, etc.

You are welcome to "buy" or "not buy" whatever you choose - and if makes you feel better, well that's the whole point of motivated reasoning.
If that many people lied about having watched the debate, that invalidates the entire poll. Who knows what else they lied about.

I don’t think there was any lying going on here.

If that many people lied about having watched the debate, that invalidates the entire poll. Who knows what else they lied about.

No, it doesn't invalidate anything.

But again, you are welcome to the comfort of your motivated reasoning. Believe what you will.

You haven't even come close to demonstrating a single person "lied" in that poll. It's a poll of registered and likely voters. Of course those who are registered and likely to vote are FAR more likely to have watched the debate than people who haven't even registered to vote and are therefore completely disengaged from politics.

And you say, "if that many people lied" then "I don't think there was any lying going on" so which is it?

You also claimed that 73 million was 22% of the American public - true, if you include everyone, including newborn babies, toddlers, children and others who cannot vote, etc. but the relevant stat is percentage of registered voters, or at least those eligible to vote. In 2016 about 130 million cast a vote for president. 73 million who watched in a way captured by Nielsen is 56% of that total, and many millions more would have watched it online, or later, like I did, not captured by Nielsen. Etc........

So your OP is in bad faith from the jump. Of course it is. Your role here is to advance the MAGA cause with every post, which means bad faith is part of the job.

Because many have to work long hours.

OK, so no basis. The debate was at 9pm. Not many working at that hour, and pretty much everyone with a phone or computer could watch it whenever they wanted, even if they worked an 8p to 8a shift that night. Just go online and find one of dozens of outlets that had the entire debate recorded and viewable at any time. I listened to an audio of the entire debate.

You haven't even come close to demonstrating a single person "lied" in that poll. It's a poll of registered and likely voters. Of course those who are registered and likely to vote are FAR more likely to have watched the debate than people who haven't even registered to vote and are therefore completely disengaged from politics.

And you say, "if that many people lied" then "I don't think there was any lying going on" so which is it?

You also claimed that 73 million was 22% of the American public - true, if you include everyone, including newborn babies, toddlers, children and others who cannot vote, etc. but the relevant stat is percentage of registered voters, or at least those eligible to vote. In 2016 about 130 million cast a vote for president. 73 million who watched in a way captured by Nielsen is 56% of that total, and many millions more would have watched it online, or later, like I did, not captured by Nielsen. Etc........

So your OP is in bad faith from the jump. Of course it is. Your role here is to advance the MAGA cause with every post, which means bad faith is part of the job.
This is an incredibly long rant, Jasper.

The numbers in the OP speak for themselves.

Neither swing state polling nor approval numbers matches the narrative that Biden is blowing Trump out of the water.

We have new polls showing Trump up or tied in Ohio, a tie in Florida, a tie in North Carolina, slight improvement for Trump in Pennsylvania, and Biden a single point ahead in Arizona.

The new Harris poll has Trump’s approval at 46%.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom