• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

82% of Whites support racist voter ID laws

Support racist voter ID law? Doesn't there have to be such a law to support it?

Why do I suspect this was a poll of registered voters? :lol:

Well DUH! If Voter ID laws are passed then thousands of unregistered voters will be disenfranchised!! ;)

What's more racist asking for id or assuming some one based on their skin color doesn't have the means or the ability to get an id?

We'll it IS "easier to get a Assault Rifle than it is to Vote "....

Clintons losing his mind. Nevermind the fact that you need a cool thousand dollars to grab up a Bushmaster, but it's harder to vote.

How can asking for an ID be racist?

Is it racist when you have to show an ID to buy alcohol?

What's more racist asking for id or assuming some one based on their skin color doesn't have the means or the ability to get an id?
Drive a car? Yep have to have an ID.
Buy beer? ID
Buy cigs? ID
Buy gun? ID
Buy fireworks? ID
Use credit card where I work? ID.
So why should voting be any different?

Well DUH! If Voter ID laws are passed then thousands of unregistered voters will be disenfranchised!! ;)

Unregistered voters are already disenfranchised by their own inaction. Should have people go door to door with a voting machine just in case someone there forgot to register and forgot to vote as well to maximize democratic turnout. I am sure the unions would send people to do that in swing states.

had no idea Voter ID laws were racist in general?

while i think its a complete waste of time and money "I" support Voter ID law and im a non-white as long as it falls under the following.

free and easily accessible like at schools, post offices, where the voting polls are, SS offices, libraries etc
and as long as other IDs are also accepted, drivers licenses, pass ports, weapon permits, photo school IDs, military IDs etc.

if it doesn't follow that or something similar then id never support because it would be discriminatory (anybody honest can see that) mainly to the poorer people and elderly. Now if the majority of the effected people are also minorities i dont know but that doesnt matter to me since unless it fits my criteria its a crock and already discriminatory.

had no idea Voter ID laws were racist in general?

while i think its a complete waste of time and money "I" support Voter ID law and im a non-white as long as it falls under the following.

free and easily accessible like at schools, post offices, where the voting polls are, SS offices, libraries etc
and as long as other IDs are also accepted, drivers licenses, pass ports, weapon permits, photo school IDs, military IDs etc.

if it doesn't follow that or something similar then id never support because it would be discriminatory (anybody honest can see that) mainly to the poorer people and elderly. Now if the majority of the effected people are also minorities i dont know but that doesnt matter to me since unless it fits my criteria its a crock and already discriminatory.

Have a problem with school Id as we are enrollong illegal immagrants and foreigners into our school system.also the availability of the Id can not come at cost of the integrity of the id.

Have a problem with school Id as we are enrollong illegal immagrants and foreigners into our school system.also the availability of the Id can not come at cost of the integrity of the id.

if the person isnt a citizen what would his ID cross reference with?

i dont know maybe its just me and what im exposed to but when i vote they cross reference your id and or name with registered voters list. So if the person isnt a citizen how would they get on that list in the first place.

and if there are cases where this can happen then it can happen for any ID and all the other systems need fixed. How do you get any of those things to say you are a citizen without a SSN or other ID/BC and if theres fraud going on then that fraud needs to be attacked and i wouldnt support voter ID until the other systems are fixed.

Last edited:
Why is it so incredibly difficult for Liberals to simply register and vote like everyone else?

It's pretty obvious that the conservatives here didn't bother to read the actual poll results.

If they did, they'd find that a HIGHER percentage of non-whites said that they support voter ID laws...but this would probably change if they were asked if they would support the kind of voter ID laws the Republicans have passed that would mean that only certain forms of ID were valid - not including student ID's or even certain government-issued ID's.

The poll also showed that

- a plurality of whites agreed that voter discrimination remains a problem and needs to be addressed by Congress

- a majority of whites supported early voting and same-day voter registration

- a majority of whites supported being able to vote on the Sunday prior to the election.

However, early voting, same-day registration, and Sunday-prior-to-election voting are all part and parcel of the voter suppression efforts in several of the states controlled by the GOP...which was all done - in their words - to stop 'unregistered voters' from voting...

...never mind that there's NO - repeat, NO - actual evidence that this happens on a scale large enough to matter. But most of us - from both sides - know the real reason why they're passing these laws - they want to suppress the votes of those who oppose them. What's really sad is that voter suppression is about the most unAmerican thing one can do, but all too many conservatives are okay with it since it's to their benefit.

if the person isnt a citizen what would his ID cross reference with?

i dont know maybe its just me and what im exposed to but when i vote they cross reference your id and or name with registered voters list. So if the person isnt a citizen how would they get on that list in the first place.

and if there are cases where this can happen then it can happen for any ID and all the other systems need fixed how do you get any of those things to say you are a citizen without a SSN or other ID and if theres fraud going on then that fraud needs to be attacked and i wouldnt support voter ID until the other systems are fixed.
People that aren't citizens actually have been able to registar to vote in some situations so it is a issue.

unregistered voters are already disenfranchised by their own inaction. Should have people go door to door with a voting machine just in case someone there forgot to register and forgot to vote as well to maximize democratic turnout. I am sure the unions would send people to do that in swing states.

joke
your head

However, early voting, same-day registration, and Sunday-prior-to-election voting are all part and parcel of the voter suppression efforts in several of the states controlled by the GOP...which was all done - in their words - to stop 'unregistered voters' from voting...

How does voting on election day suppress voting? You can always file an absentee ballot if you think you might not be able to make it in on election day.

How does registering a month before the election suppress voting? It's not like elections are unannounced pop quizzes.

People that aren't citizens actually have been able to registar to vote in some situations so it is a issue.

an almost non excistant one so the issue is the checks and balances of other documents/IDs and unless thouse are addressed FIRST i dont support voter ID.

why? because like i already said its a waste of time and money for a fantasy problem and while i totally support making voting more secure i wont support it at the expense of denying scores of legit voters.

Its the same way i feel about gun laws, im totally fine with gun laws as long as they dont punish me the honest citizen and empower the criminals.

so basically what im getting at is im fine with my criteria if its dont they way i stated because denying even 1000 false votes to me isnt worth denying or making it very hard for a million other legit votes.

especially since we have the EC.

WIth that said, if the standard for college IDs is that low, then i may be fine with removing them.

My main motivation for having them there was student voters that cant get back or vote in their home polls

an almost non excistant one so the issue is the checks and balances of other documents/IDs and unless thouse are addressed FIRST i dont support voter ID.

why? because like i already said its a waste of time and money for a fantasy problem and while i totally support making voting more secure i wont support it at the expense of denying scores of legit voters.

Its the same way i feel about gun laws, im totally fine with gun laws as long as they dont punish me the honest citizen and empower the criminals.

so basically what im getting at is im fine with my criteria if its dont they way i stated because denying even 1000 false votes to me isnt worth denying or making it very hard for a million other legit votes.

especially since we have the EC.

WIth that said, if the standard for college IDs is that low, then i may be fine with removing them.

My main motivation for having them there was student voters that cant get back or vote in their home polls

But your ok with trying to stop one nut case from getting a gun while making it harder for the millions of law abiding gun owners doesn't that seen to be a little hypocritical.

But your ok with trying to stop one nut case from getting a gun while making it harder for the millions of law abiding gun owners doesn't that seen to be a little hypocritical.

huh? obviously you didnt read my post because it says nothign of the sort, it actually says i dont want to punish the law abdiding gun owners
its the same way i feel about gun laws, im totally fine with gun laws as long as they dont punish me the honest citizen and empower the criminals.

so no there no hypocrisy at all its actually very consistant

So requiring an ID is racist? Wow, I never knew that. Next time I go to a bar and get asked to show ID, I'm going to call the bartender a racist. I wonder how that will work out for me?

Cop pulls me over and asks for my driver's license? I call him a racist pig. I wonder if he'll say "ok, you're right, I don't need to see your license." ?

Unregistered voters are already disenfranchised by their own inaction. Should have people go door to door with a voting machine just in case someone there forgot to register and forgot to vote as well to maximize democratic turnout. I am sure the unions would send people to do that in swing states.

I think it was Specklebang who said a few days ago, in response to someone who said paying for voter ID was a form of poll tax and thus unconstitional, that by that logic requiring someone to use gas in their car to drive to a polling station is a poll tax and all polling stations should be within easy walking distance even for the elderly and the handicapped. Perhaps you should be able to vote from home, and maybe they could whip up lunch for you too while they're at it.

Good catch. I was wondering about that myself.
Apparently it's a popular practice.

Wish we could get 82 & 83% of either side of Congress to do something decent... once.

Back
Top Bottom