• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

80's Music: The Good, the Stars and the not so much

calamity

Privileged
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
With the advent of MTV, the 80's were extremely transformative, but not always in a good way. There were plenty of one-hit wonders and Milli Vanilli like flameouts. Of course, the biggest dumpster fire was Michael Jackson. Little did we know just how sadly that story would end back then. The Moonwalking Dude owned the industry for almost that entire decade. I suspect Thriller is still the biggest thing to ever happen to music since Beethoven wrote the 9th (I jest, but not by much).

Personally, I'm a hard rock guy. So, for me icons of the decade like Janet Jackson, Madonna and George Michael, although absolute stars who I grew to love as time went on, didn't really catch my ear right away. In fact, if it were not for the fact that I hit 21 and started hanging out at dance clubs in the mid-80's, I might have missed much of the new stuff from Bobbi Brown to Prince. But, a lot of that stuff was some pretty good ****.

To start off this thread, if I had to name the acts that grabbed my ear right off the bat, I would start that list with U2. Although technically a 70's band, I first heard them in the early 80's. And, on that day, I went, "Holy ****! That band is ****ing Great!!" Definitel honorable mentions for top ear grabbers on day one are Red Hot Chili Peppers, Nirvana and Jane's Addiction. Guns and Roses would and should probably be in that list, if not even probably ranking above U2, but the meltdown after album 3 or 4 renders them kind of in the Pete Burns category: Great for a while, but WTF happened to YOU?

Can't go without mentioning my man LL:

LL Cool J and Beastie boys were my first experience with Rap. Well, second. Blondie's shot at it in Rapture was probably my first taste.

Another big act that I didn't get at first but quickly grew to love were the Eurythmics. Although, to be honest, I am more of an Annie Lennox fan than I am of the original duo.

With the advent of MTV, the 80's were extremely transformative, but not always in a good way. There were plenty of one-hit wonders and Milli Vanilli like flameouts. Of course, the biggest dumpster fire was Michael Jackson. Little did we know just how sadly that story would end back then. The Moonwalking Dude owned the industry for almost that entire decade. I suspect Thriller is still the biggest thing to ever happen to music since Beethoven wrote the 9th (I jest, but not by much).

Personally, I'm a hard rock guy. So, for me icons of the decade like Janet Jackson, Madonna and George Michael, although absolute stars who I grew to love as time went on, didn't really catch my ear right away. In fact, if it were not for the fact that I hit 21 and started hanging out at dance clubs in the mid-80's, I might have missed much of the new stuff from Bobbi Brown to Prince. But, a lot of that stuff was some pretty good ****.

To start off this thread, if I had to name the acts that grabbed my ear right off the bat, I would start that list with U2. Although technically a 70's band, I first heard them in the early 80's. And, on that day, I went, "Holy ****! That band is ****ing Great!!" Definitel honorable mentions for top ear grabbers on day one are Red Hot Chili Peppers, Nirvana and Jane's Addiction. Guns and Roses would and should probably be in that list, if not even probably ranking above U2, but the meltdown after album 3 or 4 renders them kind of in the Pete Burns category: Great for a while, but WTF happened to YOU?

A. U2 was an 80s band, a 90s band and were still going afterwards.
B. Same applies to the Red Hots, who didn't really get huge until the 1990s
C. GNR sucked 8 ways until Sunday and then including Sunday. Absolutely one of the most pathetic bands to ever make it big. They're not even remotely comparable to U2

C. GNR sucked 8 ways until Sunday and then including Sunday. Absolutely one of the most pathetic bands to ever make it big. They're not even remotely comparable to U2

Old U2 is good but from Joshua Tree onwards they became the most overrated band to ever preform in the history of mankind. They just keep getting worse with every new release.

Old U2 is good but from Joshua Tree onwards they became the most overrated band to ever preform in the history of mankind. They just keep getting worse with every new release.

LOL! Joshua Tree was easily their best work.

LOL! Joshua Tree was easily their best work.

That's the thing about opinions on the arts there is no right/wrong. But they peaked with unforgettable fire been in a downward slide since then.

An 80's band that is great but I completely missed until the early 90's--Metallica.

Most of my favorite 80s music was by bands founded in the 70s. Man, the 70s kicked ass.

As for actual 80's bands (founded in the 80s), yeah, Guns-n-Roses kicked ass in the beginning. They just lacked the staying power that the great 70s rock bands had. I also liked a lot of REM's stuff.

Also:
Run DMC
Queen Latifah
Public Enemy
LL
NWA

And country:
Clint Black
Garth Brooks
The Judds

Truly a great band with longevity and an awesome sound from day-one, IMO.
Yep. Same with Jane's Addiction. 80's bands that made it big in the 90's more so than the 80's. But. I caught them early and often in the late 80's. Both bands had me on their first song.
Appetite for Destruction was awesome, man. But, their fall in the 90's was epic.

Most of my favorite 80s music was by bands founded in the 70s. Man, the 70s kicked ass.

As for actual 80's bands (founded in the 80s), yeah, Guns-n-Roses kicked ass in the beginning. They just lacked the staying power that the great 70s rock bands had. I also liked a lot of REM's stuff.

Also:
Run DMC
Queen Latifah
Public Enemy
LL
NWA

And country:
Clint Black
Garth Brooks
The Judds

I caught some newer Queen L videos recently on YouTube. I was really impressed with her skills. I always liked her version of "For the Love of Money" though that headlined the New Jack City flick.

U2 sucks. A group of overrated arrogant pretentious effs.

I was hooked as soon as I heard "Sunday Bloody Sunday." I remember turning my gf at the time onto "New Years Day," and she reacted a bit like you did above. :lol:

U2, RHCP, and GnR are all great bands. There's no rock bands today that compare to that era.

U2, RHCP, and GnR are all great bands. There's no rock bands today that compare to that era.

Rolling Stones are still around. They were greater than any of those bands before they even existed.
Ditto David Bowie and Paul Mcartney

I was hooked as soon as I heard "Sunday Bloody Sunday." I remember turning my gf at the time onto "New Years Day," and she reacted a bit like you did above. :lol:
I always thought they had potential, but their sound was too "thin" and shrill for my tastes.

The arrogant pretentious stuff came later as they started believing their own press releases.

I do like the song "Angel of Harlem", though.

I always thought they had potential, but their sound was too "thin" and shrill for my tastes.

The arrogant pretentious stuff came later as they started believing their own press releases.

I do like the song "Angel of Harlem", though.

My favorite is "Bad."

I guess what really intrigued me about U2 is that hearing their sound was a departure from what I was used to as a 70's rock fan. It was a bit like hearing Led Zep's "In Through the Outdoor" for the first time. My first thought was, "What the hell is this?" But, a few minutes later, I'm saying, "Wow! l like this different thing."

Rolling Stones are still around. They were greater than any of those bands before they even existed.
Ditto David Bowie and Paul Mcartney

My roots are Zepplin, Floyd, Beatles, Stones, Who, Jimi, Janice and Jim. So, it took a bit to sell me on 80's music. My take on 80's music was like listening to the new singer on AC/DC and saying, "This sure as hell isn't Bon Scott. Not even close."

Hair bands ruled the 80's

My roots are Zepplin, Floyd, Beatles, Stones, Who, Jimi, Janice and Jim. So, it took a bit to sell me on 80's music. My take on 80's music was like listening to the new singer on AC/DC and saying, "This sure as hell isn't Bon Scott. Not even close."
No it wasn't, and they are on record as saying they purposely didn't want a Bon Scott clone.

No it wasn't, and they are on record as saying they purposely didn't want a Bon Scott clone.

Yeah. It took some getting used to. The band got better, more creative, especially the guitar riffs and solos, but I still prefer listening to the pre-1980 version of AC/DC. I never really warmed up to Brian Johnson's vocals.

Back
Top Bottom