• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

$800M to Date - 'SIGAR' Insuring Afghans of Their Needs and NOT the Talibans'

ouch

Air Muscle
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Out of the $1.8 billion in “authorized and appropriated money", $800M has went to help the Afghans for the past year. Hopefully, this has also went towards added security for the Afghans to protect themselves from the Taliban. Press on SIGAR and those in Afghanistan doing their part to make all of this happen. (y)

“I guess people don’t realize that,” he added. “And I think people should realize that. We still are giving money to the Afghan people. We are trying not to, as much as possible, give money to the Taliban.”

That’s one of SIGAR’s oversight roles — to ensure that U.S. taxpayer dollars aren’t directed to the Taliban, the group that quickly took control of Afghanistan as the U.S. and its allies hastily withdrew by then end of August last year.

Secretary of State Antony Blinken said the Taliban had sheltered the al-Qaida leader “after repeated assurances” that they would not.

Sopko said much of the U.S. money that has been spent in the past year has been an effort to ease hunger and address health care needs in Afghanistan.

Out of the $1.8 billion in “authorized and appropriated money", $800M has went to help the Afghans for the past year. Hopefully, this has also went towards added security for the Afghans to protect themselves from the Taliban. Press on SIGAR and those in Afghanistan doing their part to make all of this happen. (y)

“I guess people don’t realize that,” he added. “And I think people should realize that. We still are giving money to the Afghan people. We are trying not to, as much as possible, give money to the Taliban.”

That’s one of SIGAR’s oversight roles — to ensure that U.S. taxpayer dollars aren’t directed to the Taliban, the group that quickly took control of Afghanistan as the U.S. and its allies hastily withdrew by then end of August last year.

Secretary of State Antony Blinken said the Taliban had sheltered the al-Qaida leader “after repeated assurances” that they would not.

Sopko said much of the U.S. money that has been spent in the past year has been an effort to ease hunger and address health care needs in Afghanistan.
GOVERNMENT OVERSIGHT !!

What a concept?! It might catch on.

I would be curious to know what percentage of that money has made its way to the Taliban despite them trying as much as possible for it not to happen.

1659921991284.png

Back
Top Bottom