• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

80 Percent Of U.S. Adults Face Near-Poverty, Unemployment: Survey

RDS

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
It's a journey well on its way to being a third world nation really.
WASHINGTON — Four out of 5 U.S. adults struggle with joblessness, near-poverty or reliance on welfare for at least parts of their lives, a sign of deteriorating economic security and an elusive American dream.
Survey data exclusive to The Associated Press points to an increasingly globalized U.S. economy, the widening gap between rich and poor, and the loss of good-paying manufacturing jobs as reasons for the trend.
The findings come as President Barack Obama tries to renew his administration's emphasis on the economy, saying in recent speeches that his highest priority is to "rebuild ladders of opportunity" and reverse income inequality.
80 Percent Of U.S. Adults Face Near-Poverty, Unemployment: Survey

Europe is worse. The rest of the world is worse than Europe.

Europe is worse. The rest of the world is worse than Europe.

Oh... well then... nothing could possibly be better then, eh? Just settle for top of the cesspool... and be happy...

g

Do'h!
:doh

Exactly!! You beat me to it. If somebody is 50 years old, a millionaire, but was out of work for a year when they just got out of university and perhaps were on welfare, according to the conditions of the survey, that millionaire would be part of the 80% facing near-poverty.

Oh... well then... nothing could possibly be better then, eh? Just settle for top of the cesspool... and be happy...

g

Why do you hate perspective?

The gauge defines "economic insecurity" as experiencing unemployment at some point in their working lives....

That pretty much includes everybody, doesn't it? Who goes through his working life without experiencing unemployment at some point?

That pretty much includes everybody, doesn't it? Who goes through his working life without experiencing unemployment at some point?

Apparently 20% of Americans.

I gotta say, I knew the unit by which this was measured was skewed just from the thread title.

C'mon now. It is a ridiculous premise. The information in the title is just plain wrong. It is nonsense. Doesn't deserve any comment other that that.

Well on our way to...being historically the most prosperous nation in the Universe. How they can make the claim exactly the opposite, and some people believe it....it's quite amazing.

Liberal propaganda is liberal propaganda.

Fix your public education being destroyed by unions and government bureaucracy and you may train a next generation of economic go-getters who take advantage of the absurd freedoms and opportunities. All you're doing right now is teaching people how to be dependent and to blame those who are successful, it's really a shame.

It's hard to imagine not facing unemployment and/or poverty at SOME POINT in one's life. If anything, the surprising stat is "20% of Americans never have to endure unemployment or poverty in their entire life."

Well on our way to...being historically the most prosperous nation in the Universe. How they can make the claim exactly the opposite, and some people believe it....it's quite amazing.

It's simple.

1. Design absurdly broad qualifications.
2. Produce gaudy numbers.
3. Drop context.
4. ?
5. Profit.

But let's look at this critically. 1 in 5 Americans have NEVER been jobless, near poverty or received welfare. That's pretty amazing. I expect, for Europe, the number is something like 1 in 20 (maybe 1 in 50 given the prominence of welfare). In the rest of the world it's 1 in 100 at best.

Ok, I think I've posted this in all three of the threads about this dumbass article.

Oddly enough, at 33, I have yet to face unemployment or poverty in my life. I may just be on my way to being a 1%er. :)

g

We certainly shouldn't "settle for top of the cesspool", but can you point to a specific time span where most Americans weren't near personal economic disaster?

Oddly enough, at 33, I have yet to face unemployment or poverty in my life. I may just be on my way to being a 1%er. :)

I was extremely empoverished while in college, especially my first two years. Jobs were scarce, I received no support from my family, and managed to survive on college financial aid, and a part time minimum wage job.

After college, I never experienced any unemployment or poverty.

Back
Top Bottom