• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

8-year-old boy dies in US custody on Christmas

We can't take responsibility for children and fail.

This ^

If the US is going to detain and incarcerate children, we better well devote the necessary resources to doing such a procedure properly and with safeguards.

Maybe what is needed is automatic triage of children at a local hospital with a 72 hour observation period. Followups at the CBP holding facility by EMS personnel.

An 8 month old Guatemalan girl died in US custody in March. If this continues to happen, the US reputation will plummet exponentially.

This ^

If the US is going to detain and incarcerate children, we better well devote the necessary resources to doing such a procedure properly and with safeguards.

Maybe what is needed is automatic triage of children at a local hospital with a 72 hour observation period. Followups at the CBP holding facility by EMS personnel.

An 8 month old Guatemalan girl died in US custody in March. If this continues to happen, the US reputation will plummet exponentially.

Way cheaper and arguably more humane to provide a stipend and Mexico agrees to accommodate families seeking asylum. I heard about such a deal in the works weeks ago. In an emergency, a family could do what families do. No need for us to assume responsibility.

So, it looks like the nation has reached a cross-roads. Will we be Trumpian scrooges or humanitarians who actually give a rat's ass about what happens to tiny Tim? It's time to decide between the two on this holiday which is supposed to remind us all that people like Trump are not who we are.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/25/us/guatemalan-boy-dies-in-us-custody/index.html

The choice is yours. Choose wisely.

So, presumably, if he and his father had been granted amnesty he'd never have died. Amnesty and open borders fixes everything.

What, specifically, do you think Trump and his "scrooges" did to this little boy?

Trump killed him. See, Trump has secretky been calling the border patrol adn telling them to look for sick kids he can bump off as a deterrent to any kind of immigration whatsoever...well, any kind of brown people immigration. That's just the kind of guy Trump is.

Frankly, the OP and CNN make me positively sick that they REJOICE in this kind of thing happening. Every kid that dies in CBP custody is another thousand votes for them so they positively LOVE then thought of these kids passing away. The fact that it happened on Christmas only makes it better for them.

Glad to see you made your choice.

What would your choice have been murder the child on the spot?

I am also with Lovebug, I support taking a sick child to the hospital

So, it looks like the nation has reached a cross-roads. Will we be Trumpian scrooges or humanitarians who actually give a rat's ass about what happens to tiny Tim? It's time to decide between the two on this holiday which is supposed to remind us all that people like Trump are not who we are.

i choose to disagree with you
strongly

there is nothing that tells us the US civil servants and others who have interacted with this child did anything wrong. the cause of death is not now known

it would appear you irrationally believe that any immigrant child seeking residence in the US should never be subject to medical calamity
unfortunately, disease does not give a free pass to that - or any - segment of society

i choose to disagree with you
strongly

there is nothing that tells us the US civil servants and others who have interacted with this child did anything wrong. the cause of death is not now known

it would appear you irrationally believe that any immigrant child seeking residence in the US should never be subject to medical calamity
unfortunately, disease does not give a free pass to that - or any - segment of society

When you take someone into custody, and they end up dead, it is on you.

I hope we soon reach an agreement with Mexico that families awaiting asylum processing will reside in Mexico during the process. We can't take responsibility for children and fail. If we don't have the facilities, personnel or resources (which appears to be the case), a stipend and residing in Mexico is not a bad alternative.
The bold is exactly what the bulk of the Trump leaning posters are unable to understand.

But, I guess that shoe fits. Understanding is not exactly a Trumper's strong suit.

And the worst bit is.... none of this is even necessary. Not the custody, not the death, not the thread. Obama's much-maligned "catch and release" was not some open borders plot. He was ordered to release those people because he had also been violating the 1997 Flores agreement.

And it worked. They set up the families with electronic monitoring, legal help, and other resources. The families showed up in court at something like a 96% or 97% rate because they really did legitimately want/need asylum.

But hey, this is modern politics, so we need to have stupid preventable tragedies and ****-ups happening over an invented problem about which the people who scream don't really care anyway, since they'd be focusing on policy changes regarding employers of illegals, not wall & deport.

not true
let's say someone wanting to immigrate has final stage pancreatic cancer
it would not be the USA's fault that (s)he died while in the USA system

you come off wanting to blame any malady that befalls an immigrant on the federal government
where lapses of appropriate policy occur, there should be an accountability
but not where the whims of mother nature afflict a person in American custody
you appear to be unable to distinguish between the two causes

We did the humanitarian thing and took him to the hospital and probably paid the bill or, no one paid the bill. What is it you think we should have done?

Well, this is one of those situations where there isn't really enough information available to draw reasonble inferences. But yeah, it's a safe bet that the "Trumpian scrooges" you refer to wouldn't give a **** even if it was tied directly to some policy change Trump imposed. Each such policy change with regard to immigration has involved deliberately cruelty.

We already saw them in action when the seven year old girl died of dehydration and shock 8 hours after being taken into custody: some were content to savage her death for purposes of attacking the asylum seekers while ignoring the fact that we take responsibility for someone when we take custody of them, and yet others decided to found a lower road (using the death to attack liberals for having cared).

I have to wonder:

1. Was/is there any pressure on medical staff treating any of these asylum-seekers to hurry it up and save on costs;

2. What happened in the interim. I have little faith that people who would let a girl die of dehydration and shock many hours after being taken into custody bother to check up on any sick ones to make sure they're not getting worse.

Why don't you call Calamity out for making an assinine troll thread?

It's "on you" to answer questions to those investigating, but just because someone died in your custody doesn't automatically mean you are responsible for their death which is what you're trying to say here with your non-thinking, knee-jerk troll thread.

I hope we soon reach an agreement with Mexico that families awaiting asylum processing will reside in Mexico during the process. We can't take responsibility for children and fail. If we don't have the facilities, personnel or resources (which appears to be the case), a stipend and residing in Mexico is not a bad alternative.
Uh, no, not exactly. There's no silver bullet from being apprehended by Border Patrol. The do the best they can but the responsibility for a child's welfare and health reposes with the parent. It's no secret the journey is arduous - thousands die each year. Why, should we assume that suddenly being in the custody of the BP is going to miraculously cure the person of every health issue he has.

The diagnosis at the hospital was a common cold and the boy was released. The boy was given prescriptions for amoxicillin (an antibiotic) and the painkiller ibuprofen, but it is unknown if these prescriptions were filled and administered. After experiencing nausea and vomiting that night, the boy was taken back to the hospital where he died an hour later. The cause of death remains unknown.

Guatemalan boy, 8, dies in immigration custody after being diagnosed with a cold

Maybe I don't understand how things work in the USA, but that makes no sense. Was his father there? If not how could an eight year old fill a prescription, or how could his father fill it when they were surely destitute?

Why wouldn't they just order the drugs from the dispensary, (it literally doesn't get any more common than these two) and give them to the child then and there instead of writing a prescription?

You should be ashamed of yourself for using a tragic death to attack him.

Because someone who finds a dead (Illegal Alien) child tragic expresses their sorry by posting a whattaboutism

:roll:

You are always trying to present yourself as somehow being objective. Why don't you call Calamity out for making this nonsense thread? Why don't you answer the question asked of Calamity? What should have been done with this child? What wasn't done that should have been?

No stipend. Maybe retroactive stipend to reimburse Mexico for those actually granted asylum. For those not granted asylum, too bad.

So, apparently Trump was on the phone to the ER doctors as well. :roll:

Yep. This very same thing happens to white US citizens, probably every day. But, when it happens to an illegal it is racism from Trump and his supporters.

Yep. This very same thing happens to white US citizens, probably every day. But, when it happens to an illegal it is racism from Trump and his supporters.

tRump does more stupid **** than we can keep up with

there is no reason to fabricate stuff that he is not responsible for doing

Why don't you call Calamity out for making an assinine troll thread?

Why don't you dig into the meat of the various issues rather than relying solely on the usual idiotic drive-by attacks?

Well, this is one of those situations where there isn't really enough information available to draw reasonble inferences. But yeah, it's a safe bet that the "Trumpian scrooges" you refer to wouldn't give a **** even if it was tied directly to some policy change Trump imposed. Each such policy change with regard to immigration has involved deliberately cruelty.

We already saw them in action when the seven year old girl died of dehydration and shock 8 hours after being taken into custody: some were content to savage her death for purposes of attacking the asylum seekers while ignoring the fact that we take responsibility for someone when we take custody of them, and yet others decided to found a lower road (using the death to attack liberals for having cared).

OP LINK
When the boy was evaluated for release, hospital staff found a fever and he was held for an additional 90 minutes before being released on Monday afternoon, CBP said. The boy was given prescriptions for amoxicillin, an antibiotic, and the painkiller ibuprofen. On Monday night, the boy was nauseous and began vomiting and was sent back to the same hospital but died shortly after midnight on Tuesday, the agency said. The official cause of the child's death is still unknown and CBP's Office of Professional Responsibility will conduct a review, consistent with policy, according to the statement.

I have to wonder:

1. Was/is there any pressure on medical staff treating any of these asylum-seekers to hurry it up and save on costs;

2. What happened in the interim. I have little faith that people who would let a girl die of dehydration and shock many hours after being taken into custody bother to check up on any sick ones to make sure they're not getting worse.

And the worst bit is.... none of this is even necessary. Not the custody, not the death, not the thread. Obama's much-maligned "catch and release" was not some open borders plot. He was ordered to release those people because he had also been violating the 1997 Flores agreement.

And it worked. They set up the families with electronic monitoring, legal help, and other resources. The families showed up in court at something like a 96% or 97% rate because they really did legitimately want/need asylum.

But hey, this is modern politics, so we need to have stupid preventable tragedies and ****-ups happening over an invented problem about which the people who scream don't really care anyway, since they'd be focusing on policy changes regarding employers of illegals, not wall & deport.

At least you usually go to the effort of trying to lie about the subject. But here you just sort of fart into the wind and hope it hits home.

Oh, there shouldn't be "questions" for border control? Well, if you think that, you just proved that I was too kind in describing Trump supporters.

:lamo

PS: Guess what "investigation" requires.

Go on, guess.

It requires ASKING QUESTIONS. And answering them, too! There, you've learned something for the day.

You responded to a post that says we do not have enough information to even draw reasonable inferences - that would be my post, which again said we do not have enough information to even draw reasonable inferences - and you choose to attack the person who made it for not waiting for information.

Just....ugh...

:doh

And you think they should be convicted with zero evidence, a common thing from the left directed at the right. There was zero evidence regarding Kavannaugh, other than the testimony of the so called victim herself, a well known lefty activist.

Leave it to Calamity to find some way to crap on the Christmas spirit by using a dead kid as a political pawn.

And you think they should be convicted with zero evidence, a common thing from the left directed at the right. There was zero evidence regarding Kavannaugh, other than the testimony of the so called victim herself, a well known lefty activist.

There you go, you put in the effort to tell a retarded lie. Bravo! I knew it'd be difficult. But you see, you only did half the job.
You didn't read what you were trying to lie about, so you ended up telling a lie that is directly refuted by the post you were 'replying' to.

I described my post thus to someone else (see above, you quoted it)

You responded to a post that says we do not have enough information to even draw reasonable inferences - that would be my post, which again said we do not have enough information to even draw reasonable inferences - and you choose to attack the person who made it for not waiting for information.

Now go to post #47, in which I quote other posts you didn't bother to read before farting at. In those other posts, I for example said to calamity "this is one of those situations where there isn't really enough information available to draw reasonble inferences. "

Now, and I really do mean this as a question, what sort of person reads a post where the person says there is so little information that reasonable inferences cannot be drawn about fault, AND reads a post where the same person repeats that sentiment twice in a row, AND STILL decides to accuse that person of thinking someone should be convicted without evidence? Who tells such a hopelessly stupid lie, then quotes the posts disproving their own lie?

Are their posts generally worth reading, do you think - the person who does the horrendously, embarrassingly, pathetically dishonest and stupid thing that I have described (the thing you did. I'm describing what you did. I described your actions)?

Might that explain why I pretty much never respond to that person's posts (aka, your posts)?

Food for thought. I'd recommend that you go have a sit-down and think it over. Doing this might help:

:thinking

Congratulations on being yet another person who comes into a thread to insult that thread, then manages to do even worse than the thread's creator.

Consider this response my Christmas gift to you. I know you'll probably throw it out without unwrapping it, but hey....have a completely undeserved chance to surprise me and admit you lied about what I had said.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom