• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

8 wines - 4 red sorts und 4 white sorts

I have tasted and liked ....

• Riesling

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • Chardonnay

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • Pinot blanc

• Gewürztraminer

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • other white wines

• Merlot

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • Pinot noir

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • Zinfandel

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • Carménère

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • other red wines

Votes: 11 84.6%

• Total voters
@ Merlot in Germany

Given the ever-hotter springs and lengthening summers, even Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc and Merlot are being grown in German. However not as you probably know them but -- thanks to the terroir and overall climate -- they are rather different from the same wines coming to Germany in increasing quantities from Italy, France, the United States, New Zealand, Australia or Argentina. They show lower alcohol levels, too. Furthermore, they require bottle aging and are not fruit-forward for easy drinking and are frequently uncut with Merlot or conversely Cabernet.

How To Germany - Germany's New World of Wine

Reisling is the German, Pinot Gris the French, same grapes, same basic region, same method of wine making. The French is more snooty.

Well, for a start: There is no "Reisling", only Riesling.
And Riesling is called Riesling all over the world, and in France, too.

Pinot Gris it the German Weißburgunder or the Italian Pinot Grigio.
Nowhere in the word is Pinot Gris mistaken for Riesling.

Calling Pinot Gris a Riesling is like calling a cow a horse.

We don't drink wine very often, mostly buy a few bottles around the holidays, we both like red wines only. Here are three that we buy often, but there are other ones we've tried that we like.

10469992.jpg

nouveau_rouge_duboeuf_2019.png

LUjF4mcZMSvhNndiDJMj_xrhh7ysLqBuWJ1MuhPWIA7uECh2BV9gkBwn2pPXCERQzlsxn6z3FsDa303AA8LK7V1saIxSt-TZcyraMUmX_tfmIKr5sG4

We don't drink wine very often, mostly buy a few bottles around the holidays, we both like red wines only. Here are three that we buy often, but there are other ones we've tried that we like.

I can only see two pictures. :)

Gewürztraminer now has 5 votes from 8 voters. :)

I can only see two pictures. :)

Sorry about that Rumpel, I copied it but failed to post it. :doh In the poll I put Pinot Noir, Zinfandel and other reds.

images

Sorry about that Rumpel, I copied it but failed to post it. :doh In the poll I put Pinot Noir, Zinfandel and other reds.

images

OK - now I can see all three pictures! :peace

As Easter is appoaching, I now ask:
Which of these wines would you choose for Easter?
I might choose a Gewürztraminer among the white wines, and a Zinfandel among the red wines. :)

You got the original name of Zinfandel right but it’s from Croatia originally. The Italians started to grow it in Puglia where it was known as Primitivo because it ripens early.

Yes, the Zinfandel has an interesting history.
And one can say that its name ows its existence to a typo.
A misprint for the Austrian "Zierfandler", which is a completely different grape.

----

Zinfandel (also known as Primitivo) is a variety of black-skinned wine grape. The variety is grown in over 10 percent of California vineyards.[1] DNA analysis has revealed that it is genetically equivalent to the Croatian grapes Crljenak Kaštelanski and Tribidrag, as well as to the Primitivo variety traditionally grown in Apulia (the "heel" of Italy), where it was introduced in the 18th century.[2]

The grape found its way to the United States in the mid-19th century, where it became known by variations of a name applied to a different grape, likely "Zierfandler" from Austria.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zinfandel

How the Zinfandel got its name: :)

Zierfandler is a light-skinned grape variety that is indigenous to Austria's Thermenregion, just south of Vienna. These days, the variety is grown almost exclusively there, and is usually blended with Rotgipfler to form a traditional wine known as Gumpoldskirchener.

A few hectares of Zierfandler can be found across the border in the Hungarian region of Pecs, where the variety is known as Cirfandli. It was from these vineyards that Hungarian growers shipped a selection of grape varieties off to California in the 19th Century, leading historians to believe that, due to a labeling mix up, the classic black Californian variety Zinfandel probably takes its name from Zierfandler.

https://www.wine-searcher.com/grape-643-zierfandler

nine out of nine
say: other red wine

-----

which makes it a poem :cool:

Right now I am enjoying a Traminer - a relation of the more famous Gewürztraminer.
I can recommend both. (y) (y)

7 out of 9 say:

Zinfandel​

Perhaps you just don't know the names.
Maybe you Rosé is made from a pinot noir.

The epicenter of rosé production is Provence, France, where the majority of world’s rosé is produced. Provençal rosé is known for its dry and delicate taste and light orange-tinted pink

color.

Rosé made in Provence is typically made from Grenache, Cinsault, Mourvedre, and Syrah grapes

In case you ever want to expand on a Californian experience which is often very good at the top end of the price range although some cheap Zifandel's are awful .

Looking back - some funny statements have been made on the first two pages. :)

I kinda can’t believe you didn’t list my favorite red Cabernet Sauvignon. It’s a hugely popular variety in tbe US. Is that not true in your part of the world?

Now I have clicked onto all the options - except Chardonnay.
I have tasted Chardonnay, but I do not like it.
I clicked chardonnay as I have drunk it but I dont like it

I tend to stay with reds, from all over the world, and am unapologetic about it.

I kinda can’t believe you didn’t list my favorite red Cabernet Sauvignon.
Sorry - but you just have to live with it.
There are about 100000000000 red grape varieties und about 1000000000 white grape varieties in this world.
How can you expect that I list all the favourite grapes of all the people?
You can't expect that.
Of course everybody thinks that his favourite is the best.

Please create a poll of your own and I tell you then and there what you have "forgot!". :)

To start with:

I know well that there are thousands and thousands of fine grape varieties.
And I have tasted lots of them.
Now I name 8 of them.
Don't tell me that I "forgot" X or Y.
I did not.

I name 8 plus 2 others, as there are only 10 options possible.

Some might have preferred a different list.
That is natural.

May I repeat my opening words in #1

Sorry - but you just have to live with it.
There are about 100000000000 red grape varieties und about 1000000000 white grape varieties in this world.
How can you expect that I list all the favourite grapes of all the people?
You can't expect that.
Of course everybody thinks that his favourite is the best.

Please create a poll of your own and I tell you then and there what you have "forgot!". :)
I don’t expect that. I juat found it interesting given how popular it is in states. It’s the most popular red here and may be the most popular wine period. I was really more wondering if maybe it’s not popular where you live and that had something to do with you selections.

And we won’t even talk about my second favorite red - Bordeaux. :)

To start with; I know well that there are thousands and thousands of fine grape varieties.
And I have tasted lots of them.
Now I name 8 of them.
Don't tell me that I "forgot" X or X.
I did not.

I name 8 plus 2 others, as there are only 10 options possible.

Some might have preferred a different list.
That is natural.

Here is my list now:

White:
Riesling
Chardonnay
Pinot blanc (Weißburgunder)
Gewürztraminer
other white wines

Red:
Merlot
Pinot noir (Spätburgunder)
Zinfandel
Carménère
other red wines
Our tastes are very different. Mine lean almost the opposite, away from the sweeter wines. I prefer full-bodied dry wines...and yes, the 'fruit' is still there and well-expressed.

And I go for very low tannins in reds.

I don’t expect that. I juat found it interesting given how popular it is in states. It’s the most popular red here and may be the most popular wine period. I was really more wondering if maybe it’s not popular where you live and that had something to do with you selections.
I know Cabernet Sauvignon and I like it as well.
Instead of Merlot I might have included it in the list.
But then there are lots of others that I have left out as well:

Pinotage, Saint Laurent, Dornfelder, Portugieser, Trollinger, Lemberger, Regent etc etc etc ....

Back
Top Bottom