• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

8 wines - 4 red sorts und 4 white sorts

I have tasted and liked ....

• Riesling

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • Chardonnay

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • Pinot blanc

• Gewürztraminer

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • other white wines

• Merlot

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • Pinot noir

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • Zinfandel

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • Carménère

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • other red wines

Votes: 11 84.6%

• Total voters

Rumpel

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
To start with; I know well that there are thousands and thousands of fine grape varieties.
And I have tasted lots of them.
Now I name 8 of them.
Don't tell me that I "forgot" X or X.
I did not.

I name 8 plus 2 others, as there are only 10 options possible.

Some might have preferred a different list.
That is natural.

Here is my list now:

White:
Riesling
Chardonnay
Pinot blanc (Weißburgunder)
Gewürztraminer
other white wines

Red:
Merlot
Pinot noir (Spätburgunder)
Zinfandel
Carménère
other red wines

Now I have clicked onto all the options - except Chardonnay.
I have tasted Chardonnay, but I do not like it.

None of the above. Occasionally I'll have a glass of rose w/o the wife...

But for all other things...beer.

None of the above. Occasionally I'll have a glass of rose w/o the wife...

Perhaps you just don't know the names.
Maybe you Rosé is made from a pinot noir.

Maybe sooner or later somebdoy will come along sometime who has tasted a Riesling or a Zinfandel. :)

Maybe sooner or later somebdoy will come along sometime who has tasted a Riesling or a Zinfandel. :)

Reisling is the German, Pinot Gris the French, same grapes, same basic region, same method of wine making. The French is more snooty.

Zinfandel is an acquired taste, a cheap grape, often musty, syrupy, passed off in blends as something better than it is. A table wine that is often served over chilled in Germany with a small sugar cube at the bottom of the glass. It made it big in California as a grape varietal, blending well with fruit jams like blackberry, plum, peaches with peppery overtones. Originally from Poland, Crljenak Kaštelanski or Zin for short. About 10% of the California grapes.

Zinfandel is an acquired taste, a cheap grape, often musty, syrupy, passed off in blends as something better than it is. A table wine that is often served over chilled in Germany with a small sugar cube at the bottom of the glass. It made it big in California as a grape varietal, blending well with fruit jams like blackberry, plum, peaches with peppery overtones. Originally from Poland, Crljenak Kaštelanski or Zin for short. About 10% of the California grapes.

And where did you copy that cheap snobby nonsense from? :cool:

Despise wine. I would rather just rip the band aid off and chug cheap tequila than sit through a glass of wine. both taste like crap, but my way gets me to the ending faster.

What Wiki says about Chardonnay:

Chardonnay's popularity peaked in the late 1980s, then gave way to a backlash among those wine connoisseurs who saw the grape as a leading negative component of the globalization of wine. Nonetheless, it is one of the most widely planted grape varieties, with 210,000 hectares (520,000 acres) worldwide, second only to Airén among white wine grapes and fifth among all wine grapes.

Chardonnay - Wikipedia

I have put Chordonnay into the list because it is so well known - but I don't like it.

What Wiki says about Zinfandel: :)

Local wine-labeling regulations are slowly catching up with the DNA evidence, a process that has been slowed by trade disputes. The European Union recognized Zinfandel as a synonym for Primitivo in January 1999, meaning that Italian Primitivos can be labelled as Zinfandel in the United States and any other country that recognises EU labelling laws.

Italian winemakers have taken advantage of these rules and shipped Primitivo wines to the United States labelled as Zinfandels, with the approval of the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB).

Zinfandel - Wikipedia

You are talking nonsense.
As I expected.
Over and out.

Ah, your vast experience as a vinophile is underwhelming. Same varietal, different labels by ethnic choice. But you know better.

And where did you copy that cheap snobby nonsense from? :cool:

Snobby no, mocking yes. Those California blends, often profuse with the input of flavorings, is in imitation of their more subtle European counterparts. Wines from long before either of us walked this earth, have been flavored with other, fruits, spices and mendicants. When analyzing residue remaining in unopened wine amphoras in Israel found in an archeological dig, from more than 2 millennia ago, the residue revealed inclusion of local hallucinogenic plants. No wonder those guys were always speaking to god. The genetics of the Zinfandel variety of grapes has been traced to Poland, from well before Poland was an independent nation. Enormous sums of money have been spent analyzing the various genetic histories of individual grape strains, hopefully for disease prevention in vineyards and the hope for better wines. Far from cheap snobby nonsense. LOL

My family has been serving watered wine to the kids before they were weaned for countless centuries. I graduated to my grandfather's basement made grappa at age 12. And we are far from Italian. I'm 71 with a lifetime of pursuing the best possible wines, and I totally understand, when the experts are blindfolded for tastings, they can't identify the best from the worst. Most wines are blends of different grapes, including the infamous and not so infamous Champagnes and Beaujolais that label themselves as pure. It wasn't that long ago that Champagnes were considered not worth drinking, and beaujolais were reserved for vinegars. It's all in the marketing and changing tastes. It comes down to what pleases you at the moment, what works best with what you are eating, or in some cases smoking. Boone's Apple wine is not a wine, it is a beer that is loved by youngsters because it is a cheap drunk. Japanese rice wine, saki, is also a beer.

What Wiki says about Zinfandel: :)

Never trust a wiki, and trust the wine industry less. Grape varietals have traveled to places no one thought they would grow. In his saga Leif Ericsson named the North America Vineland. Because of the massive fruit bearing grape vines he found when he landed. Yet, the indigenous people didn't make wines, and enjoyed the fruit on the table. American native grapes have a lower sugar content making them unsuitable for making wine. Today, like their habitat of the northeast, they are mostly gone, replaced with imported European, North African and mideast varietals. Wine of Turkey, dating back for millennia, tho rare today because of islam, but still made in the mountains are among the sweetest known to man. Superb. Many of the European varietals can be traced back to North Africa and the mideast. Julius Caesar in his commentaries, brags of importing the great sweet vines from Egypt and Anatolia. As he pointedly said "almost as good as the wines from Iberia." He didn't drink wine, but he started his day with a glass of vinegar as a health preventative, switched to lemonade after being introduced to the beverage when he served in the British Isles. Didn't prevent him from being stabbed to death.

Polish Zin for which Zinfandel is named, caused a war for domination of the grape fields between Sweden and Russia that lasted centuries.

4 out of 5 voters say: Gewürztraminer :)

One of my absolute favourites. :peace

@ about Gewürztraminer

Gewürztraminer is a variety with a pink to red skin colour, which makes it a "white wine grape" as opposed to the blue to black-skinned varieties commonly referred to as "red wine grapes". The variety has high natural sugar and the wines are white and usually off-dry, with a flamboyant bouquet of lychees. Indeed, Gewürztraminer and lychees share the same aroma compounds.

Dry Gewürztraminers may also have aromas of roses, passion fruit and floral notes. It is not uncommon to notice some spritz (fine bubbles on the inside of the glass).

Gewurztraminer - Wikipedia

Best wine I've ever tasted are the cheap blended reds you can pick up in the 10-15 dollar range.

Best wine I've ever tasted are the cheap blended reds you can pick up in the 10-15 dollar range.

Like Italian table chiantis or Spanish/Portuguese Lambruscos. Tho some, with greater appreciation today, are getting more robust and more expensive. My preferences lend toward what I am eating, or afterwards like a good aged tawny port on a chilly evening sitting on the veranda at my Rhinebeck house after dinner, listening to my wife play the piano inside, the tones drifting out over the valley I can barely make out in the deep dark of a cloudy night. The beginnings of the aromas of decay and autumn perfumes of dying flora as winter approaches on the breezes. The occasional star or planet poking through the clouds, dimmed moonlight reflecting off the top of pending storm clouds, a flash of lightening in the not so distant ancient mountains. The port meets the intensity of the evening with a flourish of the bitter sweet, forgotten spring citrus, and toasted almonds. The dwarves are bowling.

Like Italian table chiantis or Spanish/Portuguese Lambruscos. Tho some, with greater appreciation today, are getting more robust and more expensive. My preferences lend toward what I am eating, or afterwards like a good aged tawny port on a chilly evening sitting on the veranda at my Rhinebeck house after dinner, listening to my wife play the piano inside, the tones drifting out over the valley I can barely make out in the deep dark of a cloudy night. The beginnings of the aromas of decay and autumn perfumes of dying flora as winter approaches on the breezes. The occasional star or planet poking through the clouds, dimmed moonlight reflecting off the top of pending storm clouds, a flash of lightening in the not so distant ancient mountains. The port meets the intensity of the evening with a flourish of the bitter sweet, forgotten spring citrus, and toasted almonds. The dwarves are bowling.
I was gonna say the exact same thing.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

To start with; I know well that there are thousands and thousands of fine grape varieties.
And I have tasted lots of them.
Now I name 8 of them.
Don't tell me that I "forgot" X or X.
I did not.

I name 8 plus 2 others, as there are only 10 options possible.

Some might have preferred a different list.
That is natural.

Here is my list now:

White:
Riesling
Chardonnay
Pinot blanc (Weißburgunder)
Gewürztraminer
other white wines

Red:
Merlot
Pinot noir (Spätburgunder)
Zinfandel
Carménère
other red wines

Honestly, to create a list and leave out some of the universally acknowledge core of wine types is not acceptable:

Cabernet Sauvignon
Sauvignon Blanc
A French Burgundy or Bordeaux.
A classic Italian Chianti

And you want to know about an esoteric relic like Carmenere or a pedestrian blah like Merlot?

Shame on you. I would expect more from a European.

Honestly, to create a list and leave out some of the universally acknowledge core of wine types is not acceptable:

Cabernet Sauvignon
Sauvignon Blanc
A French Burgundy or Bordeaux.
A classic Italian Chianti

And you want to know about an esoteric relic like Carmenere or a pedestrian blah like Merlot?

Shame on you. I would expect more from a European.

That's like saying Europeans are gourmets not gourmands. Being European doesn't make anyone a wine expert, an oenophile. Europeans have the same bad tastes as Americans, and not so unusually, worse. Some of the best US domestic wines are coming out of New Jersey and Minnesota. And they are much better than much of the adulterated over rated crap produced in France. English wines are bad joke. The grand vineyards of the Balkans, destroyed by endless wars. The same with the German vineyards. Spain, a last bastion for quality wines is battling depleted soil, desertification, and weak vineyards that haven't introduced new cutting for centuries, leaving many of the old vineyards unhealthy.

Today's best wines are coming out of South America. Unfortunately, the never ending ruff stuff going down throughout them, who knows.

That's like saying Europeans are gourmets not gourmands. Being European doesn't make anyone a wine expert, an oenophile. Europeans have the same bad tastes as Americans, and not so unusually, worse. Some of the best US domestic wines are coming out of New Jersey and Minnesota. And they are much better than much of the adulterated over rated crap produced in France. English wines are bad joke. The grand vineyards of the Balkans, destroyed by endless wars. The same with the German vineyards. Spain, a last bastion for quality wines is battling depleted soil, desertification, and weak vineyards that haven't introduced new cutting for centuries, leaving many of the old vineyards unhealthy.

Today's best wines are coming out of South America. Unfortunately, the never ending ruff stuff going down throughout them, who knows.

Still, I expect someone to be familiar with their own regions unique and great historic stature in wine making before polling about some nearly extinct wine grape in Chile. For example, my interest in wines started in my home state, California...and became informed on the history and status of wine making here...perhaps a decade before California wines started beating the pants off the French. Since then it has expanded to varying degrees of interest in Oregon, Washington, Australian, New Zealand, and of course French and Italian wines - Chile being an interest but not yet pursued.

So when one is in or near the heart of wine country, it seems rather odd having a poll that ignores it.

In any event, I've never liked German wines much, and really don't have time to explore Spanish wines. And decent NJ or Minn. wines? I'd have to find it and drink it to believe that...

And decent NJ or Minn. wines? I'd have to find it and drink it to believe that...

Shocked my pants off, literally. My wife seduced me the first time with a bottle of NJ wine, actually two or three bottles, a bit hazy there. Two of the nation's oldest vineyards in South Jersey, benefiting from those Atlantic breezes come summers, and another in the north along the Palisades on the Hudson. Who would have thunk?

How New Jersey is Producing Some of the Best Wines in the East | Wine Enthusiast

Back
Top Bottom