• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

8 Republicans join House vote to reopen IRS, other financial agencies despite veto threat

poweRob

USMC 1988-1996
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Yes... it's trump's shutdown.

8 Republicans join House vote to reopen IRS, other financial agencies despite veto threat

The House passed a financial services spending bill on Wednesday, the first of four appropriations bills the House will vote on this week in an attempt to reopen shuttered parts of government, despite the fact that the measures are not expected to go anywhere in the Senate and face a White House veto threat.

The vote was 240-188, with eight Republicans joining with Democrats to pass the bill.​

Still not enough to override a veto.

Yes... it's trump's shutdown.

The House passed a financial services spending bill on Wednesday, the first of four appropriations bills the House will vote on this week in an attempt to reopen shuttered parts of government, despite the fact that the measures are not expected to go anywhere in the Senate and face a White House veto threat.

The vote was 240-188, with eight Republicans joining with Democrats to pass the bill.​

It does not bode well for Trump when members of his own party are starting to move against him.

I'm not talking about a veto. I'm talking about politics. You do understand politics, I know.

Doesn't matter, Trump doesn't give a crap. It only matters when they have 290 house votes.

It does not bode well for Trump when members of his own party are starting to move against him.

"starting to move against him" ... In case you haven't noticed, they've been doing it for the last 2 years ... (grin)

I wonder if you realize that you are implicitly blaming Trump for the shutdown

I blamed Senate Republicans in December for not passing the House's bill that provided the 5 billion in funding. And they should have wrapped this all up in the previous continuing funding resolutions during previous years.

Don't really care who gets the blame.

I blamed Senate Republicans in December for not passing the House's bill that provided the 5 billion in funding. And they should have wrapped this all up in the previous continuing funding resolutions during previous years.

Don't really care who gets the blame.

I referred to what you just said, not what you said last month

Doesn't matter, Trump doesn't give a crap. It only matters when they have 290 house votes.

You know, I'm starting to think it's better if he doesn't show them. The longer he withholds, the shadier he appears...the shadier he appears, the harder it will be for moderate GOP voters to give him their vote. The harder it is for moderate GOP voters to give him their vote, the more likely he'll be out on his ass in 2020.

I think it does matter, bud...maybe not right now, I'm not sure how your legalities work...but it sends a strong message, perhaps even stronger than if he turned his stuff over and it turned out to be "not that bad" or boring...

That's why I used the word "starting". A grasp of the English language always helps me when I read posts.

In this case, a grasp of simple mathematics, or better yet, character, helps even more. You're twisting yourself into knots trying to make things fit your predefined narrative. Facts matter.

In this case, a grasp of simple mathematics, or better yet, character, helps even more. You're twisting yourself into knots trying to make things fit your predefined narrative. Facts matter.

The Democrats have been in control for one week. 8 out of 200 is by every definition of anyone who knows English a "start". You know this too, but your devotion from Trump prevents you from admitting it.

To be honest, 1 is a start, if you know the definition of the word "start", which it does not appear you do.

Back
Top Bottom