• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

793 billionaires

Conflict

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Number of Billionaires Up to Record 793

Thursday, March 9, 2006
NEW YORK - As emerging stock markets surged during the past year, 102 wealthy people around the world won a much-coveted title along with their stellar gains - they all became billionaires.

The number of billionaires around the world rose by 102 to a record 793 over the past year, and their combined wealth grew 18 percent to $2.6 trillion, according to Forbes magazine's 2006 rankings of the world's richest people.

Forbes editor Luisa Kroll noted that Russia's stock market jumped 108 percent between February 2005 and February 2006, while India's market rose by more than 54 percent during the same period. Brazil "was another bright star" with a market gain of 38 percent, she said.

Kroll said the changes on the list weren't driven by U.S. investments.

"The more exciting story is these emerging markets," she said. "The U.S. stock market was quite a laggard with only a 1 percent increase."

Such tepid returns ate into the fortunes of some of the richest Americans, including the founding family of Wal-Mart Stores Inc.

The growth in emerging markets also meant the Czech Republic placed a billionaire on the list for the first time: Petr Kellner, who debuted at No. 224 with $3 billion. And while China's market grew just 3 percent, the country added eight more billionaires, up from two last year.

Microsoft Corp. founder Bill Gates was again the world's richest man for the 12th year running. Gates grew wealthier, with his net worth rising to $50 billion from $46.5 billion. Investor Warren Buffett, the chairman of Berkshire Hathaway Inc., again ranked second; his fortune fell by $2 billion to $42 billion.

The rest of the top 10 underwent a major reshuffling, with three familiar names dropping out of that select group: German supermarket company owner Karl Albrecht, Oracle Corp.'s Lawrence Ellison and Wal-Mart chairman S. Robson Walton.

Mexican telecom mogul Carlos Slim Helu moved up one notch to No. 3 with $30 billion, replacing Indian steel magnate Lakshmi Mittal, who fell one place to No. 5 with $23.5 billion.

Ikea founder Ingvar Kamprad of Sweden rose two slots to No. 4 with $28 billion.

Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen edged up to sixth place from No. 7, with a net worth of $22 billion. He was followed by France's Bernard Arnault, chairman and chief executive of LVMH and The Christian Dior Group, with $21.5 billion; Arnault was new to the top 10.

Saudi Arabian Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal Alsaud fell to eighth place from No. 5, with $20 billion; and Canadian publisher Kenneth Thomson and his family moved into the top 10, ranking No. 9 with $19.6 billion.

Hong Kong's Li Ka-shing rose to No. 10 with $18.8 billion. Ka-shing is the chairman of Cheung Kong (Holdings) Ltd. and Hutchinson Whampoa Ltd.

The Walton family, which dominated the upper echelons of the Forbes list in recent years, tumbled in this year's ranking as stock in the world's largest retailer dropped more than 10 percent in the past year.

S. Robson Walton, known as Rob, who last year ranked 10th, fell to 19th with $15.8 billion. Christy Walton and Jim Walton tied for 17th with $15.9 billion each, while Alice Walton followed Rob Walton at $15.7 billion. Helen Walton, mother of the clan, did not make it into the top 20, landing at No. 21 with $15.6 billion.

Martha Stewart, who was new to the list last year, dropped off completely this year. Her fortune shrank from $1 billion to an estimated $500 million following her conviction for lying about a stock sale and her five-month prison term.

Investors in new industry sectors popped up on this year's list, most notably those with holdings in alternative energy and online gaming.

Australian Shi Zhengrong, ranked No. 350, made his $2.2 billion fortune through his solar energy company out of China. India's Tulsi Tanti, whose company owns Asia's largest wind farm, arrived at No. 562 with $1.4 billion after his company went public in October.

J. DeLeon and Ruth Parasol, both of the United States and tied for No. 428, represented the online gaming industry with $1.8 billion each. Interestingly, most of their company's revenue comes from the United States, where online gaming is illegal, Kroll said.

"Somehow, they have been able to skirt that," Kroll said.

Parasol is also one of the 10 new women to make the list and the only female newcomer to be self-made. Only six of the 78 female billionaires are self-made; most attained their wealth through marrige or inheritance.

The youngest billionaire is also female. Hind Hariri, daughter of slain Lebanese Prime Minister Rafik Hariri, is 22 years old and eight months younger than Germany's Prince Albert von Thurn und Taxis.

The methodology of the rankings remains consistent with years past, Kroll said. The magazine confirmed the worth of an individual's holdings in public companies by using the Feb. 13 closing stock price, and estimated the value of private companies by looking at comparable public firms in the industry and by consulting with experts in the field.

Forbes calculated the value of real estate by square footage minus any debt on the properties.

---

On the Net:

http://www.forbes.com

Ummm. Support the troops. What the **** do the people that fight for our country get? ****! This is disgusting. No one person could possibly spend that many dead presidents to support their pretentious will of socialite posturing. I take my *** to Iraq to fight for the American people.... yet there are dumbasses out there who do nothing more than sit in a ****ing office all day with a suit and a tie on and they are "billionaires". What the ****! Does this **** seem normal? Oh, my bad, I spent over two years risking my ****ing life so that you bitch *** mother ****ers could get rich! Poor Me! Support the ****ing troops.

Conflict said:
Ummm. Support the troops. What the **** do the people that fight for our country get? ****! This is disgusting. No one person could possibly spend that many dead presidents to support their pretentious will of socialite posturing. I take my *** to Iraq to fight for the American people.... yet there are dumbasses out there who do nothing more than sit in a ****ing office all day with a suit and a tie on and they are "billionaires". What the ****! Does this **** seem normal? Oh, my bad, I spent over two years risking my ****ing life so that you bitch *** mother ****ers could get rich! Poor Me! Support the ****ing troops.

Did you forget to take your ritalin pills today?

The war has nothing to do with the people being rich, it's just new markets, and the growing populatoin.

The war has nothing to do with these people being rich...

Synch said:
Did you forget to take your ritalin pills today?

The war has nothing to do with the people being rich, it's just new markets, and the growing populatoin.

The war has nothing to do with these people being rich...

That's extremely insensitive, for the first part.

THe fact of the matter is that the people, like myself, who supposedly defend our nation get ****. It's only the egocentric fat bastards that sit on the hill that reap the rewards of our sacrifice. You don't think war has anything to do with it? You think Bush did this? You believe that this furthers the prosperity fo the american people in general? Conglomeration? Monopoly? This isn't capitalism it's imperialism. I'm sorry that you cannot see this. but **** you anyway.

Conflict said:

THe fact of the matter is that the people, like myself, who supposedly defend our nation get ****. It's only the egocentric fat bastards that sit on the hill that reap the rewards of our sacrifice. You don't think war has anything to do with it? You think Bush did this? You believe that this furthers the prosperity fo the american people in general? Conglomeration? Monopoly? This isn't capitalism it's imperialism. I'm sorry that you cannot see this. but **** you anyway.

First you're going to have to make a valid connection with the increase in billionaires worldwide and the war in Iraq...

seriously dude...

The war in iraq was not suppose to make people rich, Bush's optimistic plan was to make himself more popular for the 2004 election and push his agenda across. In may 2003 when he announced victory in Iraq, his approval ratings skyrocketed.

You are another member of the brainwashed liberals, the war in iraq was not to make people richer, but was an over-optimistic plan to make Bush more popular that failed, miserably.

Hell, I read the article and some of the US billionaires fell in value, why new foreign billionaires emerge.:2razz:

:doh

Number of Billionaires Up to Record 793

Thursday, March 9, 2006
NEW YORK - As emerging stock markets surged during the past year, 102 wealthy people around the world won a much-coveted title along with their stellar gains - they all became billionaires.

The number of billionaires around the world rose by 102 to a record 793 over the past year, and their combined wealth grew 18 percent to $2.6 trillion, according to Forbes magazine's 2006 rankings of the world's richest people.

Forbes editor Luisa Kroll noted that Russia's stock market jumped 108 percent between February 2005 and February 2006, while India's market rose by more than 54 percent during the same period. Brazil "was another bright star" with a market gain of 38 percent, she said.

Kroll said the changes on the list weren't driven by U.S. investments.

"The more exciting story is these emerging markets," she said. "The U.S. stock market was quite a laggard with only a 1 percent increase."

Such tepid returns ate into the fortunes of some of the richest Americans, including the founding family of Wal-Mart Stores Inc.

The growth in emerging markets also meant the Czech Republic placed a billionaire on the list for the first time: Petr Kellner, who debuted at No. 224 with $3 billion. And while China's market grew just 3 percent, the country added eight more billionaires, up from two last year.

Microsoft Corp. founder Bill Gates was again the world's richest man for the 12th year running. Gates grew wealthier, with his net worth rising to $50 billion from $46.5 billion. Investor Warren Buffett, the chairman of Berkshire Hathaway Inc., again ranked second; his fortune fell by $2 billion to $42 billion.

The rest of the top 10 underwent a major reshuffling, with three familiar names dropping out of that select group: German supermarket company owner Karl Albrecht, Oracle Corp.'s Lawrence Ellison and Wal-Mart chairman S. Robson Walton.

Mexican telecom mogul Carlos Slim Helu moved up one notch to No. 3 with $30 billion, replacing Indian steel magnate Lakshmi Mittal, who fell one place to No. 5 with $23.5 billion.

Ikea founder Ingvar Kamprad of Sweden rose two slots to No. 4 with $28 billion.

Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen edged up to sixth place from No. 7, with a net worth of $22 billion. He was followed by France's Bernard Arnault, chairman and chief executive of LVMH and The Christian Dior Group, with $21.5 billion; Arnault was new to the top 10.

Saudi Arabian Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal Alsaud fell to eighth place from No. 5, with $20 billion; and Canadian publisher Kenneth Thomson and his family moved into the top 10, ranking No. 9 with $19.6 billion.

Hong Kong's Li Ka-shing rose to No. 10 with $18.8 billion. Ka-shing is the chairman of Cheung Kong (Holdings) Ltd. and Hutchinson Whampoa Ltd.

The Walton family, which dominated the upper echelons of the Forbes list in recent years, tumbled in this year's ranking as stock in the world's largest retailer dropped more than 10 percent in the past year.

S. Robson Walton, known as Rob, who last year ranked 10th, fell to 19th with $15.8 billion. Christy Walton and Jim Walton tied for 17th with $15.9 billion each, while Alice Walton followed Rob Walton at $15.7 billion. Helen Walton, mother of the clan, did not make it into the top 20, landing at No. 21 with $15.6 billion.

Martha Stewart, who was new to the list last year, dropped off completely this year. Her fortune shrank from $1 billion to an estimated $500 million following her conviction for lying about a stock sale and her five-month prison term.

Investors in new industry sectors popped up on this year's list, most notably those with holdings in alternative energy and online gaming.

Australian Shi Zhengrong, ranked No. 350, made his $2.2 billion fortune through his solar energy company out of China. India's Tulsi Tanti, whose company owns Asia's largest wind farm, arrived at No. 562 with $1.4 billion after his company went public in October.

J. DeLeon and Ruth Parasol, both of the United States and tied for No. 428, represented the online gaming industry with $1.8 billion each. Interestingly, most of their company's revenue comes from the United States, where online gaming is illegal, Kroll said.

"Somehow, they have been able to skirt that," Kroll said.

Parasol is also one of the 10 new women to make the list and the only female newcomer to be self-made. Only six of the 78 female billionaires are self-made; most attained their wealth through marrige or inheritance.

The youngest billionaire is also female. Hind Hariri, daughter of slain Lebanese Prime Minister Rafik Hariri, is 22 years old and eight months younger than Germany's Prince Albert von Thurn und Taxis.

The methodology of the rankings remains consistent with years past, Kroll said. The magazine confirmed the worth of an individual's holdings in public companies by using the Feb. 13 closing stock price, and estimated the value of private companies by looking at comparable public firms in the industry and by consulting with experts in the field.

Forbes calculated the value of real estate by square footage minus any debt on the properties.

---

On the Ne4:

Bill Gates and Paul Allen got richer.... the only americans I've heard that increased in wealth on that list...

Are you telling me Bush is connected with Microsoft???

Conflict I appreciate you for fighting for this country and all, but you have the wrong ideas in your mind.

Last edited:
Yea, everything these days want to blame anything on the Iraq War.

Ex:

Who killed Kennedy...............................The Iraq War.
Who killed OJ's wife...............................The Iraq War.
Why do pollers hate Bush.......................The Iraq War.
What is American Patriotism....................The Iraq War.
What is not American Patriotism...............The Iraq War.
etc...

/sarcasm :lol:

Synch said:
First you're going to have to make a valid connection with the increase in billionaires worldwide and the war in Iraq...

You think so smarty pants? Watch the dockets.

stinch said:
seriously dude...

Don't call me dude ****wipe

The war in iraq was not suppose to make people rich, Bush's optimistic plan was to make himself more popular for the 2004 election and push his agenda across. In may 2003 when he announced victory in Iraq, his approval ratings skyrocketed.

I could care less about your politics. I could care less about your subjective perceptions. You're trying to be something that you're not. I only referred to supporting the mother****ing troops you piece of ****ing ****.

stinch said:
You are another member of the brainwashed liberals, the war in iraq was not to make people richer, but was an over-optimistic plan to make Bush more popular that failed, miserably.

Who the **** said it was to make the people richer. It is the american goal to bring prosperity to all. You are clearly speaking out of your *** trying to apologize for something that you simply do not understand.

bitch said:
Hell, I read the article and some of the US billionaires fell in value, why new foreign billionaires emerge.:2razz:

blah blah blah.. so what the **** is your point? Oh yeah.. support the billionaires... **** the troops!!

:doh[/QUOTE]

stsburns said:
Yea, everything these days want to blame anything on the Iraq War.

Ex:

Who killed Kennedy...............................The Iraq War.
Who killed OJ's wife...............................The Iraq War.
Why do pollers hate Bush.......................The Iraq War.
What is American Patriotism....................The Iraq War.
What is not American Patriotism...............The Iraq War.
etc...

/sarcasm :lol:

I never said anything along those lines you ****ing toad. That's fine though. Have your laughs. Enjoy them while they last.

Conflict said:

Perhaps one day, when you are in a more mellow mood, you will take note of the fact that Sam Walton took advantage of the same kind of opportunity that is available to you, as did several of the others on the list.

Instead of venting your spleen over the achievements of others who have done well, why not direct your efforts to doing the same for yourself? Even if you don't make it all the way to the top, life is great just a few rungs up the economic ladder from where you happen to be.

Conflict said:
I never said anything along those lines you ****ing toad. That's fine though. Have your laughs. Enjoy them while they last.
Do you really wanna go there? :lamo :funny

Fantasea said:
Perhaps one day, when you are in a more mellow mood, you will take note of the fact that Sam Walton took advantage of the same kind of opportunity that is available to you, as did several of the others on the list.

Instead of venting your spleen over the achievements of others who have done well, why not direct your efforts to doing the same for yourself? Even if you don't make it all the way to the top, life is great just a few rungs up the economic ladder from where you happen to be.

I didn't start this thread as a subjective issue so why do you attempt to make it one?

Did I say a damn thing about wal mart?

Do you really believe that you could stand against me toe to toe, firearm to firearm, survival to survival?

I grew up extremely wealthy. I will always be extremely wealty. I'm just not an *** kissing sycophant follower like yourself. You don't know me. Don't act like you do.

stsburns said:
Do you really wanna go there? :lamo :funny

Go where? to the fact that you're a complete hyperbole of rhetoric which adds nothing to the actual issue on this thread?

We've already went there. ? Did you have more nonsensical rhetoric to add?

Conflict said:
Go where? to the fact that you're a complete hyperbole of rhetoric which adds nothing to the actual issue on this thread?

We've already went there. ? Did you have more nonsensical rhetoric to add?
All I hear is Blah, Blah, while you risk your all pick off your flaws, spitting blah, blah, blah, you could say you suck!

stsburns said:
All I hear is Blah, Blah, while you risk your all pick off your flaws, spitting blah, blah, blah, you could say you suck!

Nice rebuttal there, mr. centrist.

Did you risk your *** for your country?

Why are you jealous of people who are richer than you? Are you like this about every issue? Is thier anything your not pissed off about?

And where is your mama, you need a diaper change? :rofl

stsburns said:
Why are you jealous of people who are richer than you? Are you like this about every issue? Is thier anything your not pissed off about?

And where is your mama, you need a diaper change? :rofl

my mother is dead you sick piece of ****ing ****. I could give a rats about who's richer. prosperity, equality, justice, liberty. freedom. You wouldn't know a damn thing about any of that would you? Of course you wouldn't. Dont fret. I DO have your number. ANd don't think that I will sit idly by as your government has on such issues. If it weren't for people like me dumb****s like you would be living the marxist way of life.

Conflict said:
my mother is dead you sick piece of ****ing ****. I could give a rats about who's richer. prosperity, equality, justice, liberty. freedom. You wouldn't know a damn thing about any of that would you? Of course you wouldn't. Dont fret. I DO have your number. ANd don't think that I will sit idly by as your government has on such issues. If it weren't for people like me dumb****s like you would be living the marxist way of life.
America is against Marxism? What does that have to do with millionaires? So your a soldier. I would love to be on the firing lines with you, but I would never pass the physical.

stsburns said:
America is against Marxism? What does that have to do with millionaires? So your a soldier. I would love to be on the firing lines with you, but I would never pass the physical.

I've never been a soldier. I was discharged as an 0-3. I volunteered to assume the ****ing role of an E-4 NCO. That's irrelevant. To blindly adhere to the will of the state as you do is a form of marxism. Nuff said.

I have a ****ing right to speak out and if the government doesn't like it then they can kiss my ****ing *** and so can you. I will, in all sincerity, DIE before I submit to the will of people like yourself. I have my rights.

Conflict said:
I've never been a soldier. I was discharged as an 0-3. I volunteered to assume the ****ing role of an E-4 NCO. That's irrelevant. To blindly adhere to the will of the state as you do is a form of marxism. Nuff said.

I have a ****ing right to speak out and if the government doesn't like it then they can kiss my ****ing *** and so can you. I will, in all sincerity, DIE before I submit to the will of people like yourself. I have my rights.
And where are you working today, to pay for internet service, pay for the computer you are typing on? Who said anything about submitting to anything, we are just having a casual conversation?

Marxism is Communism, we are a Capitalist society?

You don't sound wealthy on a realistic aspect, judging from your lack of control.

Conflict, currently all your posts are incoherent and your arguement, if you even call it that, lacks cogency.

Conflict said:

A rant worthy of the Basement!

I thought that this was going to be a thread about Bush's tax cuts and how it has made the very rich even richer.

aps said:
I thought that this was going to be a thread about Bush's tax cuts and how it has made the very rich even richer.
Nope. It's about how many profane words Conflict can cover up with astericks.

KCConservative said:
Nope. It's about how many profane words Conflict can cover up with astericks.

Well, I guess we should let him vent. This will be going to the basement.

Back
Top Bottom