• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

$750,000 settlement reached with DC attorney general in case involving funds used in 2017 Trump inauguration

Chomsky

Social Democrat
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
In announcing the settlement, DC Attorney General Karl Racine said, "After he was elected, one of the first actions Donald Trump took was illegally using his own inauguration to enrich his family. We refused to let that corruption stand. With our lawsuit, we are now clawing back money that Trump's own inaugural committee misused."

--

I've followed this incident over the years, and quite frankly I have a problem with this settlement:

"As recounted above, in my excerpt, an illegal act was committed. Recouping the illegally gotten monies is fine, but why is there no criminal prosecution and criminal penalty?"

--

The Trump's are not alone in this type of criminal avoidance. Getting-off free, except for financial remuneration, often only partial remuneration, seem to be S.O.P. for the wealthy & affluent. When you look at the numbers, it becomes apparent the financial penalty is often a drop in the bucket, compared to the illegal gains realized. Given the immense profits often involved in these schemes, it seems to me that without criminal penalty the financial penalty simply becomes a cost of doing business, to be factored into the business case.

I find the above disheartening & disgusting, but it appears such is the current state of life in America.

Is it any wonder our young people, just starting out in life, are often reticent or reluctant to be part of, or support, our current system? Can we blame them?

RNC will cover fine…………/s

--

I've followed this incident over the years, and quite frankly I have a problem with this settlement:

"As recounted above, in my excerpt, an illegal act was committed. Recouping the illegally gotten monies is fine, but why is there no criminal prosecution and criminal penalty?"

--

The Trump's are not alone in this type of criminal avoidance. Getting-off free, except for financial remuneration, often only partial remuneration, seem to be S.O.P. for the wealthy & affluent. When you look at the numbers, it becomes apparent the financial penalty is often a drop in the bucket, compared to the illegal gains realized. Given the immense profits often involved in these schemes, it seems to me that without criminal penalty the financial penalty simply becomes a cost of doing business, to be factored into the business case.

I find the above disheartening & disgusting, but it appears such is the current state of life in America.

Is it any wonder our young people, just starting out in life, are often reticent or reluctant to be part of, or support, our current system? Can we blame them?
Consequences are for poor people like you and me.

--

--

Lol, this was clearly a partisan attack the entire time, it was a payoff the end a nuisance claim by angry leftists.

I’m not surprised though, as the left feels more threatened expect more such persecution of political opposition by the elite.

Lol, this was clearly a partisan attack the entire time, it was a payoff the end a nuisance claim by angry leftists.

I’m not surprised though, as the left feels more threatened expect more such persecution of political opposition by the elite.
Innocent people don't settle.

--

--

$750,000.00? If I recall, there was some unaccounted for $30M. So Trump walks again. A disgrace.

--

--

Yet, there are people on this board that think Hunter Biden (not the President, but his son) is the personification of graft and corruption. They think that we all should pay attention to him and be shocked. Whatever Hunter Biden is guilty of, its rookie league ball.... the hall of famer of government corruption was/is Donald Trump. Surely there is more to come.

$750,000.00? If I recall, there was some unaccounted for $30M. So Trump walks again. A disgrace.
Yep, just the cost of doing business. Be sure to tip your prosecutor.

I couldn't disagree more.

No matter how corrupt he is the scum that support Trump will always support him

No matter how corrupt he is the scum that support Trump will always support him
Decent people would not have an indecent man as their "leader".... which says much about Trump supporters.

Yet, there are people on this board that think Hunter Biden (not the President, but his son) is the personification of graft and corruption. They think that we all should pay attention to him and be shocked. Whatever Hunter Biden is guilty of, its rookie league ball.... the hall of famer of government corruption was/is Donald Trump. Surely there is more to come.
I don’t know, receiving Qatari money to save his 666 project and recently the $2 billion investment by the Saudi’s in an unproven investment vehicle make Trump look like a piker when compared to his son-in-law Kushner’s exploitation of federal office
Yep, just the cost of doing business. Be sure to tip your prosecutor.

Back
Top Bottom