• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

71% Of Americans Believe The Founding Fathers Would Be Disappointed At The USA

Do you think the Founding Fathers would be disapointed in the US.

• Yes

Votes: 49 65.3%
  • No

Votes: 14 18.7%
  • Maybe

Votes: 12 16.0%

• Total voters

The General

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
Even with the bad, the US is the greatest country the world has ever know. Not perfect, but I think the old guys would have every right to be proud.

maybe we should try to focus on living up to expectations that we have set for ourselves, rather then hypothesizing what our ancestors would think about us since it has been 300 years give or take since our countrys founding, and a lot of things have changed from the time of the founding fathers, for better or worse.

Even with the bad, the US is the greatest country the world has ever know. Not perfect, but I think the old guys would have every right to be proud.

Seriously, with the way the very document they forged being trashed and ignored on a daily basis??

Think again!

What is the measure of greatness?

As an outsider looking in, I have no idea what the 71% can possibly be thinking. The Founding Fathers would find a country that has advanced far beyond anything they may have believed possible while at the same time holding true to the principles upon which the country was built.

The Founding Fathers may be disappointed in some of the citizens of your great country who don't appreciate the wonder they helped create and the way in which your government has veered off course into areas best left to the people, but all in all I believe they'd be very proud.

how so? Maybe you should think again. The biggest problem in this country is the corporatocracy and putting greed ahead of right. Sometimes.
Seriously, with the way the very document they forged being trashed and ignored on a daily basis??

Think again!

71% Of Americans Believe The Founding Fathers Would Be Disappointed At The Way The Nation Has Turned Out | Techdirt

I would be among the 71%. If you look at us now and compare us to the past we have become a lazy, arrogant, and stupid people. And the goverment has done many things that are unconstitutional (ex secret laws). Do you think they would be dissaponted in us, and is so why?

Pretty sad that such a high percentage of those responding to the poll know so little about our Founders. In fact, they'd be blown away to see what a global powerhouse their experiment in self-governance has become, not to mention how many countries now emulate what they created.

They'd be giddy.

We are a charitable country. Without argument we have the greatest military and economy. Americans, although we get on peoples nerves we also are very charitable.
What is the measure of greatness?

George Mason probably would have, but I am not so certain about the rest.

We are a charitable country. Without argument we have the greatest military and economy. Americans, although we get on peoples nerves we also are very charitable.

But is that the measure of greatness? Of course some would perceive that as great, but what is truly great?

Truly great is when we are the strongest country in the world and are wise enough not to use that strength to further or capitalist agenda, but use it to improve humanity. I said we are the greatest, I just dont think we are done yet.
But is that the measure of greatness? Of course some would perceive that as great, but what is truly great?

Truly great is when we are the strongest country in the world and are wise enough not to use that strength to further or capitalist agenda, but use it to improve humanity. I said we are the greatest, I just dont think we are done yet.

Personally I think we are worse now than we were 50 years ago. We are in decline.

71% Of Americans Believe The Founding Fathers Would Be Disappointed At The Way The Nation Has Turned Out | Techdirt

I would be among the 71%. If you look at us now and compare us to the past we have become a lazy, arrogant, and stupid people. And the goverment has done many things that are unconstitutional (ex secret laws). Do you think they would be dissaponted in us, and is so why?

Not sure. Think they would be rather in awe of our ability to destroy entire cities.

how so? Maybe you should think again. The biggest problem in this country is the corporatocracy and putting greed ahead of right. Sometimes.

And they're doing that by over-shooting what the Constitution allows the federal government to do. Plus turning this country into a police state to prevent any interference.

How so? I truly believe the opposite is true. I guess if I was a conservative person who thought change is bad as a rule I might think like that too.
Personally I think we are worse now than we were 50 years ago. We are in decline.

If that is true we still have the power to vote them out. I have never much thought about this but conservatives by nature have to be pessimist. Change sucks, yet the only constant is change.
And they're doing that by over-shooting what the Constitution allows the federal government to do. Plus turning this country into a police state to prevent any interference.

If that is true we still have the power to vote them out. I have never much thought about this but conservatives by nature have to be pessimist. Change sucks, yet the only constant is change.

Whatever you have become must be willing to overlook the obvious. Thing are changing alright, just not for the better. IMHO

We are a far richer country in many ways than we were when I was a child. Our life is better in nearly every way I can think of. Our environment is much cleaner and...geeeze how can you really think we are going to hell in a handbasket?
Whatever you have become must be willing to overlook the obvious. Thing are changing alright, just not for the better. IMHO

All of them would be disappointed for various reasons, as they were during their own time. Even though most somehow think this, the Founding Fathers were not just magically content with the United States as it was. Disappointment was a common reaction to social and political developments. Such a poll question only illuminates a decent chunk of those around today. This would be similar to "on the right" or "on the wrong" track questions.

We are a far richer country in many ways than we were when I was a child. Our life is better in nearly every way I can think of. Our environment is much cleaner and...geeeze how can you really think we are going to hell in a handbasket?

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to be pessimistic but, I am a realist.

How can you look at the world's economy, the 3/4 of this population that live paycheck to paycheck and see a once prosperous city like Detroit in shambles and say everything is rosy?

I'm glad everything is wonderful in your world but, it's pretty f&^ked for the majority and it doesn't seem to be improving.

OH and this wonderful state you see cost over $17 trillion in borrowed money. That can't be sustained.

How can you look at the world's economy, the 3/4 of this population that live paycheck to paycheck and see a once prosperous city like Detroit in shambles and say everything is rosy?

I'm glad everything is wonderful in your world but, it's pretty f&^ked for the majority and it doesn't seem to be improving.

OH and this wonderful state you see cost over $17 trillion in borrowed money. That can't be sustained.

1. Move from Detroit.

2. Consider wealth (at a record, even if polarized)

3. Consider GDP (#1 by a mile)

4. Consider political / economic / military influence, globally (we get a rash and the world itches)

If the FF were to see us being only half of what we are today, they'd be in awe of their creation.

There are fewer starving people in the world today than ever, and most of those are for political reasons rather than agricultural. While I was a child we expected the world to end any second when for some stupid reasons the Ruskies went nuclear, a long distance call cost nearly what my cell phone bill costs now. I see the world and the US getting better. Could be wrong, but at least I am happy. I agree the music was better back then, but then again we have Thursday night football now.

they didnt gain independence from UK to be another imperialist l think

those fathers seem lovely when they are compared to many presidents

I think if given the opportunity of hindsight, I think they'd first be disappointed in themselves for not dealing with slavery and mistreatment of Native Americans upfront. I think they'd be disappointed in some things but at the same time incredibly proud of what we've done.

- Their founding documents have become the benchmark for all countries on earth that desire freedom and government at the consent of the governed.
- People doing everything they can and getting on waiting lists to make America their home.
- The country they founded invented modern aviation, electric light, the computer, the Internet, satellite communications and put human beings on the moon.

More in awe than disappointed I think.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom