• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

70% of Palestinian Youth Oppose Violence

Mira

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
JERUSALEM – More than 80 percent of young Palestinians are depressed and 47 percent identify themselves as Muslim rather than Palestinian, according to a United Nations Development Program (UNDP) report.
The report, based on interviews with 1,200 Palestinians over the age of 17 from the West Bank and Gaza found that 39 percent were "extremely" depressed and 42 percent were depressed by their conditions. Depression was more marked in the Gaza Strip where 55 percent said they were "extremely" depressed.

When asked to define their identity, 47 percent identified themselves as Muslims, 28 percent as Palestinians, 14 percent as humans and 10 percent as Arabs.

The survey also revealed that the majority of Palestinian youth (69 percent) believe that the use of violence as a means to resolve the conflict is not very helpful, while only 8 percent believe it is an important tool.

The survey of attitudes of Palestinian youth was part of a report, "The Mapping of Youth Organizations" commissioned by the UNDP and presented to a workshop designed to plan a strategy for youth development for the Palestinian Authority.

Youth are exceptionally vulnerable to conflict, and unemployment rates for youth range from 35 percent in the West Bank to 51 percent in Gaza. UNDP commissioned the survey to understand the needs and expectations of youth organizations, levels of intervention, gaps to be filled, and set youth policies and strategies relevant to the needs of the Palestinian society and adopted by both the public and private sectors.

The results of the survey were launched during a workshop held on March 31, 2009 at Sharek Youth Forum in Ramallah. The workshop was attended by H.E. Tahani Abu Daqqa, Minister of Youth and Sports, Mr. Jens Toyberg-Frandzen, Special Representative of the Administrator, Mr. Nasfat Khofash, President of Palestinian National Institute of NGOs, and Mr. Bader Zamareh, Executive Director of Sharek Youth Forum.

Over 85 percent of the mapped organizations (540 in the West Bank and Gaza Strip) have accreditation from the Palestinian Authority, be it the Ministry of Interior (70 percent), Ministry of Youth and Sports (13 percent), Ministry of Culture (2 percent) or others.

More than half of the mapped organizations are civil society organizations and NGOs with programs targeting youth, while only 22 percent identified themselves as youth organizations. 41 percent out of these youth organizations have problems with funding, as opposed to 33 percent from civil society organizations.

"Young people are exceptionally vulnerable in a conflict situation. They are more likely to be injured, arrested or sucked into harmful situations," said Jens Toyberg-Frandzen, Special Representative for UNDP's Program of Assistance to the Palestinian People.

"At UNDP we have always understood that you cannot develop an economy or a nation without developing its youth, particularly when the economic and political environment appears to offer limited hope. The findings of this survey will help us understand what needs to be done to make the most of young Palestinians."

--

UNDP is the U.N.'s global development network, advocating for change and connecting countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life. This article is distributed by the Common Ground News Service (CGNews).

70% of Palestinian Youth Oppose Violence - Middle East Times

The majority opposes violence, but that 8% who think violence is a great idea are going to keep messing things up in the area for decades to come still.

The majority opposes violence, but that 8% who think violence is a great idea are going to keep messing things up in the area for decades to come still.

If you take it that way, I'm sure that statistics will show a larger percentage of Israelis think that violence is a great idea. I think there have been some studies done during the war on Gaza and Lebanon.

If you take it that way, I'm sure that statistics will show a larger percentage of Israelis think that violence is a great idea. I think there have been some studies done during the war on Gaza and Lebanon.
Can you post them please? And also, post some comparative studies accomplished in a period of relative calm.

That was just my cynical side coming out. I'm usually much more optimistic by nature. It's just that this conflict has gone on for so long and has suffered so many setbacks because of the actions of a violent minority, I don't see things changing any time soon anymore. I really wish that this 70% of youngters will make a difference in the future, but history is not on their side.

Of course people will be more upset when rockets are constantly being fired at them. That's no mystery.

I'm sorry Tasha, but this I cannot take. A few rockets that kill a few people which in NO WAY I support, in return Israel reduces Gaza into rubble killing thousands, and the majority of the Israeli population supports it ? I'm not even going to bring up 2006 WOWOWOWOWOW !!!! really makes me sick.

You know, I really hope that the palestinians will have their state one day and you'll all live in peace.

But after 2006 all I can say is, I don't want anything to have to do with Israel, neither war nor peace. I just wish that Hizbollah will leave you alone and you will leave us alone. You're not my enemies but I don't want your friendship either.

But after 2006 all I can say is, I don't want anything to have to do with Israel, neither war nor peace. I just wish that Hizbollah will leave you alone and you will leave us alone. You're not my enemies but I don't want your friendship either.
That is exactly the way I feel about Lebanon. I am quite indifferent. If Hizb'Allah leaves Israel alone, there will be no hostilities.

If the German newspaper is right about the UN report on who murdered Hariri, there could be civil war in Lebanon. Please keep it north of the border.

That is exactly the way I feel about Lebanon. I am quite indifferent. If Hizb'Allah leaves Israel alone, there will be no hostilities.

If the German newspaper is right about the UN report on who murdered Hariri, there could be civil war in Lebanon. Please keep it north of the border.

I would have been surprised if you had answered differently.

If Israel was so indifferent about Lebanon getting back on its feet, then why didn't they concentrate their strikes on Hizbollah bases and why did they systematically destroy Lebanon's civil infrustructure in places where not only Hizbollah has no presence but you would not even find a hair from a Shi'ite beard even if you searched with a loop ?

When W. Bush asked Israel to stop destroying Lebanon's civil infrustructure, there wasn't much of it left anyway. Pathetic !

edit: I'm so glad to have some fantastic Israelis as my close friends. They have shown me another side of the Israeli people which is human and compassionate and not "indifferent" and heartless.

Last edited:
If you consider us to be backwards and uneducated, even unintelligent according to genetic studies, is this how the intellecually superior people educate their children ?

Presents from Israeli children to the Lebanese children.

192642682_2fea4cce66_o.jpg

Oh realleh ? How credible would I look if I posted a link to a Hamas website ?

No less credible than whatever credibility you garner from equating the Jewish Virtual library with some viscious, subhuman terrorist organization.

No less credible than whatever credibility you garner from equating the Jewish Virtual library with some viscious, subhuman terrorist organization.

Because you really believe that a one-sided web site cannot by any chance be biased?

Because you really believe that a one-sided web site cannot by any chance be biased?

Ah -- because it is Jewish! Now we're getting somewhere.

Kindly support your inference that the web site is moraly equivalent to murdering thugs like Hamas, or show that the information it listed is bogus.

For those whose minds are not so prejudiced as to claim anything Jewish is suspect, here is what other people say about this award winning site. Sure doesn't sound like Hamas to me.

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_Virtual_Library[/ame]

Last edited:
Ah -- because it is Jewish! Now we're getting somewhere.

Kindly support your inference that the web site is moraly equivalent to murdering thugs like Hamas, or show that the information it listed is bogus.

For those whose minds are not so prejudiced as to claim anything Jewish is suspect, here is what other people say about this award winning site. Sure doesn't sound like Hamas to me.

Jewish Virtual Library - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No, we're not getting anywhere. You would have reacted in the exact same way if I had posted a link to an Arab studies source.

Posting links from one side or the other doesn't exactly translate to unbiased.

No, we're not getting anywhere.

Sure we are. Your attitudes are being revealed quite clearly. You compared a website that has received awards for its excellence with Hamas and did so simply because they are Jewish.

You would have reacted in the exact same way if I had posted a link to an Arab studies source.

Since you HAVE posted references to Arab sources, and i DIDN'T compare such sources to murdering terrorists, then your accusation here is not only without merit, but dishonest on your part.

Posting links from one side or the other doesn't exactly translate to unbiased.

You have yet to show how anything contained within the page referenced is bogus, misleading, or otherwise corrupted. All you have done is indulge in libel against the site on the basis of its ethnicity.

If you consider us to be backwards and uneducated, even unintelligent according to genetic studies, is this how the intellecually superior people educate their children?

Presents from Israeli children to the Lebanese children.

192642682_2fea4cce66_o.jpg
Blunt used the same pic in a different thread.

http://www.debatepolitics.com/relig...s-questions-about-islam-7.html#post1057981161

I expect such things from her. I did retaliate back then and post a similarly grotesque picture, but afterwards I resolved not to do that anymore. I consider it pointless and classless. You will have to make your own value appraisement.

I think it's disheartening to see such images, no matter what side they're from. Whatever possesses the adults who allow their children to participate in these sorts of things is incomprehensible to me. But then again, I've never had to live with war on my doorstep.

I think it's disheartening to see such images, no matter what side they're from. Whatever possesses the adults who allow their children to participate in these sorts of things is incomprehensible to me. But then again, I've never had to live with war on my doorstep.

What I find disheartening is the knowlege that for every picture such as the one showed, it would be an incredibly simple process to find a hundred from the other side of the conflict, and that those using the photos as propaganda either fail to recognize such a fact, or are acting disingenuous intentionally.

What I find disheartening is the knowlege that for every picture such as the one showed, it would be an incredibly simple process to find a hundred from the other side of the conflict, and that those using the photos as propaganda either fail to recognize such a fact, or are acting disingenuous intentionally.

The pictures from the other side are not only disheartening, they're downright revolting. Sadly, I've come to expect that from the other side. It's no longer a surprise. I expect better from Israel. That's all.

Since you HAVE posted references to Arab sources, and i DIDN'T compare such sources to murdering terrorists, then your accusation here is not only without merit, but dishonest on your part.

Please show me where I posted references to Arab sources.

Maybe I should not have compared a Jewish/Israeli link to Hamas, in that you are right. Even though some Israelis are as fanatic as Hamas.

The link that you posted was from the Jewish Virtual library American-Israeli Cooperative Enterprise remember, not all Jews are Israeli and we're talking about the Israeli/palestinian conflict. So if I posted a link to an Arab pr Palestinian site, you would have found it biased as well.

Capito ?

My job evolves around news pictures. I see hundreds of them each day and rest assured 90% of them never appear in the press in order not to "disturb" the readers.

The picture that I posted was not taken by a Palestinian, but from a photographer working for a Western news agency.

During the Gaza war, my colleagues from the international press described to me how the IDF had installed a press office on the outskirts of Gaza, equipped with phones, computers and coffee machines. The foreign press was not allowed into Gaza, however the Israeli press office had prepared a list of phone numbers of people in Sterod who were ready to receive journalists and to tell them their stories in detail and in several languages.

Talk about propaganda.

Last edited:
Gaza: War, from a distance
When Jon Snow went to report on the conflict in Gaza, he was barred from entering the conflict zone, along with other Western journalists. It's wrong, he says

There have been two versions of the assault on Gaza played out over the past three weeks. One is the moderated account aired in the West; the other is the unexpurgated account of civilian deaths filmed in vivid close-up inside Gaza.

Has the Western account, restricted by the Israeli ban on journalists in the conflict zone, been so reduced as to dull the scale of protest? Has the volume of images of death injury and destruction played and replayed in the Arab media served to radicalise and enrage the Islamic world still further? Thus creating a gulf so unbridgeable that it defeated even the passage of a unanimous UN call for a ceasefire? I want to take you on a personal journey that I made to the region last week.

I am standing on the so-called "hill of shame" – a strange bump of terrain with three trees on top and a cascade of camera's tents and television dishes pouring down the other side. This is as close as the world's media has come to the Israeli invasion of Gaza. I have been unable to clarify whose "shame" the hill celebrates. Is it the stream of ordinary Israelis who come to cheer the booms of Israeli bombs and shells and the plumes of resulting smoke? Is it the shame of reporters stymied in their attempts to reach Gaza? Either way it has made me think again about war reporting.

Untold stories lie buried in the rubble
Rafah, a landscape scarred by Israel's war
People talk about the smell of cordite and the first-hand contact with fear. The Israeli blockade of Gaza and the exclusion of all journalists from the conflict emphasise, in a way that I've not really understood before, how important it is for those who report the horror of war actually to experience what they're communicating.

The noise and distant smoke of war in this spot, perhaps a mile back from the fence with Gaza, is simply a tableau, because I feel no fear and I can see no victims and hear no cries.

Later, I see on al-Jazeera the aftermath of those attacks: wailing women running in the streets, carrying the wrapped remains of tiny children. And somehow I remained detached, no closer an observer than if I were in my own living room in London.

Had I been on the ground in Gaza, I would have found out the baby's name, talked to its father, perhaps been to the home – made that human emotional connection between the death of a child and our own living experience. The thing that binds us together and shocks us as humans.

Wrapped remains and wailing women shock, but do not connect in the same way. We see the image, we know it's bad, but we do not experience the emotion. When the Israelis exclude the media, they know what they are doing.

By the next day, I have spoken to two al-Jazeera correspondents by video link on the roof of their studio complex in Gaza City. But as the Israeli military communications unit reports that they have started another phase of this invasion, venturing ever deeper into the urban areas of Gaza, the al-Jazeera reporters could tell me very little either. They can see little of the ground force activity and have to depend on the doctors in the hospital to tell them the human consequences of what has happened.

Such is the nature of this conflict. And it is one the like of which I have never had to cover before. The access has never been so absolutely barred.

I move from the hill to nearby Sderot. This is the front line the Israeli government press office wants me to cover. There is a hole in the bus shelter roof caused by one of the random and ill-guided rocket attacks. Israel's Channel 10 runs blanket coverage of their impact upon Israel's civilian areas. At the time of writing, three Israelis have been killed in these latest attacks, while the army has claimed the lives of more than 1,000 Gazans.

This is the fog of war; full access to the consequences of Hamas attacks, but no direct access to the carnage resulting from the Israeli assault on Gaza. It's a war in which the propaganda machines have been in full cry. The Israeli Defence Forces have uploaded more than 30,000 "action clips" on to YouTube and elsewhere. The Arab media has streamed horrific close-ups of wounds and dead bodies that cannot be seen on British television. Meanwhile, Hamas leaders remain in hiding inside Gaza, with Western journalists unable to interview them or hold them to account for their attacks.

As with every military conflict, the inevitable first casualty is the truth. It is caught in a pincer movement of lack of access and our own regulations, which forbid the most searing images from airing on the dominant mainstream media. The consequence is that the Arab world is seeing a vastly different account of this war from that which we are seeing. That presents a dangerous dynamic for the future.
Gaza: War, from a distance - TV & Radio, Media - The Independent

Back
Top Bottom