• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

7 Dead, 30 Wounded in Weekend Violence

I suspect that if we allocated as many resources as we do on our global war on terror into the terror at home and started treating violent gangs as terrorist organizations it wouldn't take us long to clean things up. Amazing how we will cross the globe to stop suspected terrorists and spend trillions in the process while we largely ignore those in our back yard.

Interesting idea, and no doubt correct.

Now, do we start using predator drones against gang leaders?
How about "enhanced interrogation"?
Indefinite detention without trial?

"Chicago. Chicago. My kind of town" ............ own it libtards. A cesspool of liberal social engineering. Getting worse.

I suspect that if we allocated as many resources as we do on our global war on terror into the terror at home and started treating violent gangs as terrorist organizations it wouldn't take us long to clean things up. Amazing how we will cross the globe to stop suspected terrorists and spend trillions in the process while we largely ignore those in our back yard.

The city of Chicago is responsible for the city of Chicago....................... DUH.

If the state of Illinois wants to allocate additional resources into Chicago, it sure can.

But I'll be damned if my Florida tax dollars are going to support a corrupt liberal stupidity in Chicago !!!

Illinois is teetering on bankruptcy as it is. Liberalism writ large. Let them rot in their own liberal waste until they get an f'ing brain..

Interesting idea, and no doubt correct.

Now, do we start using predator drones against gang leaders?
How about "enhanced interrogation"?
Indefinite detention without trial?

Negative to all three. I dont support any of those abroad or at home.

The city of Chicago is responsible for the city of Chicago....................... DUH.

If the state of Illinois wants to allocate additional resources into Chicago, it sure can.

But I'll be damned if my Florida tax dollars are going to support a corrupt liberal stupidity in Chicago !!!

Illinois is teetering on bankruptcy as it is. Liberalism writ large. Let them rot in their own liberal waste until they get an f'ing brain..

I wasn't being Chicago specific I was talking nationally. All states have a gang problem in one area or another.

I wasn't being Chicago specific I was talking nationally. All states have a gang problem in one area or another.

The thread is about Chicago. Its not just a "problem" in Chicago. Its a calamity. It also demonstrates the magnificent futility of liberalism and its notions of gun control.

It ain't terrorism. Wake the **** up.

It would be great if both sides of this debate stopped pointing to things that that are irrelevant. For example most of the shootings in Chicago are gang on gang. No gun control bill would stop that, just as no bill will stop crazy people from doing crazy things. That is not to say we can strengthen controls in a logical way and prevent some incidents.

If gun control doesn't stop the worst offenders while preventing law abiding citizens from protecting themselves and family, what are we accomplishing by passing these ridiculous laws?

If you ever notice,almost all the murders happen in certain areas all the time(Englewood,East and West Garfield Park's,Austin).

The thread is about Chicago. Its not just a "problem" in Chicago. Its a calamity. It also demonstrates the magnificent futility of liberalism and its notions of gun control.

It ain't terrorism. Wake the **** up.

This city has been ruled by Democrats for generations. And there's a reason that the name of our state is Madiganistan.

Negative to all three. I dont support any of those abroad or at home.

Neither do I, but if we're going to use them abroad, why not here?
It is just a short step from predator drones in the war on terror to predator drones in the war on drugs, and from using them in Yemen to using them in Chicago.

well, maybe not all that short of a step, but once we start down a road, where will we stop?

Gang wars have made one of our biggest cities into a war zone, and we're fighting over gun control?

Gun control doesn't work. Gangs don't care what the gun laws are. That much is obvious, or should be by now.

So, what does work? How do we get rid of gangs, or can we? What is it that keeps them going and encourages people to become involved in them?

This is a serious question, and is not limited to Chicago or New York. We have a terrible gang problem right here in River City, as it were. Gangs are active all over the country.

We can easily get rid of gangs.

Ganges exist to control profits of illegal activities, which is drugs primarily, and sometimes prostitution. Most big gangs are actually pretty amazing in how they are run. There is a hierarchy, kinda like a corporation. They exist, and profit off of selling drugs. Gangs kill rival gang members to control drug turf.

So, how do we get rid of gangs? Easy, legalize all drugs.

The rednecks would be mopped up in less than a half hour.....and would just make the bangers day.

In order to fight fire.....sometimes one must use fire.

LOL. Gang members generally don't know **** about firearms, or how to shoot. Rednecks do.

It'd be gang members holding Jennings .25 ACPs sideways randomly spraying bullets against tact'd out assault rifles from guys that know how to shoot.

Heya DH.
yo2.gif
The Latest method is.....Chicago has set up a New Task Force involved with the Feds. They are now going after the Gang-bangers with the Rico laws and Statutes. It appears to be taking affect.

Recently they have made strikes on the Latin Kings, Gangster Disciples, and the Souls. Arresting Numbers ranging from 18 to 23 members at a time.

18 Alleged Gangbangers Charged in Large Drug Trafficking Bust

Local and federal authorities nabbed 18 associates of the Black Disciples street gang, including in and around Chicago's South Side, on drug and firearms charges.....snip~

18 Alleged Gangbangers Charged in Large Drug Trafficking Bust - Police & Fire - Beverly-MtGreenwood, IL Patch

The Latest nab was June 13th of this year.....

Officials: Murder, intimidation kept $11 million-a-year gang going.

The top leaders of one of Chicago’s most violent street gangs have been charged in a sweeping racketeering case that alleges they controlled their West Side drug empire through pattern of intimidation, kidnappings, shootings and murder dating back to the mid-1990s, according to an affidavit unsealed today in Cook County Criminal Court

600x339

Before sunrise today, police armed with "no knock" search warrants fanned out across the Chicago area surprising dozens of leaders of the Black Souls, including Cornel Dawson, known as the gang’s chief, and Teron Odum, described as Dawson’s second-in-command. Also arrested were a number of “top runners” and “supervisors” who authorities say control the gang’s street operations.

The 78-page affidavit alleges the Black Souls ran an $11 million-a-year drug operation and protected the enterprise with violence that included at least seven murders from 1994 to 2012. In all, 23 members of the gang have been charged with racketeering conspiracy, while 18 more face state drug or weapons charges, authorities said.

The new street gang RICO law has enabled us to launch an unprecedented attack on the leadership of this violent and notorious gang,” Cook County State’s Attorney Anita Alvarez said at a news conference today at the Leighton Criminal Court Building. “It is a game-changer for law enforcement in our war against Chicago street gangs.”

The arrests mark the first prosecution by the Cook County state’s attorney’s office under the gang RICO law, which took effect in June 2012 and was modeled after the 1970 federal RICO statute originally designed to go after mobsters. By classifying a gang as a criminal enterprise, the law allows authorities to hold leaders responsible for the gang’s actions even if they are insulated from a particular crime such as a murder or drug deal.

The law carries stiff penalties for those convicted of participating in a criminal enterprise -- from a mandatory 7- to 30-year prison term for racketeering conspiracy up to life in prison without parole for those convicted of murder under the statute.

The Black Souls gang was founded on the city’s West Side and is thought to have a half-dozen factions with more than 750 members, according to law enforcement reports.

Over the past decade, the federal RICO statute has been used against two Chicago-area gangs: the Latin Kings in Chicago and the Insane Deuces in Aurora.....snip~

Officials: Murder, intimidation kept $11 million-a-year gang going - Chicago Tribune

Now, it's also figuring out what to do with those Kids under the age of 12.
You know what they need? A good community organizer...

"The only difference between a derelict and a man is a job"

:coffeepap

Uh. One of my deer rifles is a Bushmaster M-4 style.

The Latin Kings deal in Military Ordinance and Military weapons. Have you considered there are bangers who were in the Armed Services. Which doesn't count who is ready for Urban warfare and fights it on a daily basis.

Which then leaves that problem about kids under 12years of age and running around with weapons. Then the Pee-wees and Juniors that will do anything to become a full-fledged members and known in their hood.

Very good point. However, until gang violence impacts middle class neighborhoods in a big way there will not be an outcry for it to be stopped.

If a couple of drive bys happened on the Chicago mayor's street, the gangs would be closed down in a week!

We can easily get rid of gangs.

Ganges exist to control profits of illegal activities, which is drugs primarily, and sometimes prostitution. Most big gangs are actually pretty amazing in how they are run. There is a hierarchy, kinda like a corporation. They exist, and profit off of selling drugs. Gangs kill rival gang members to control drug turf.

So, how do we get rid of gangs? Easy, legalize all drugs.

LOL. Gang members generally don't know **** about firearms, or how to shoot. Rednecks do.

It'd be gang members holding Jennings .25 ACPs sideways randomly spraying bullets against tact'd out assault rifles from guys that know how to shoot.

:lol:.....really? You watch to much TV then. :lamo

I see you don't know much about Gangs and Gang Organizations. Perhaps you should read up on some so you have some sort of Understanding.

Moreover legalizing Drugs isn't going to get rid of Gangs. :roll:

You know what they need? A good community organizer...

I am sure the Democrats of Chicago have made that point aware to them quite Frequently. Considering all the TOP Gang-Organizations do.....do just that. Then lobby for the Politicians around here.

One of the biggest issues with gangs is drug running. Maybe those that wish to have gun control laws removed would also be willing to remove drug laws as well.

:lol:.....really? You watch to much TV then. :lamo

I see you don't know much about Gangs and Gang Organizations. Perhaps you should read up on some so you have some sort of Understanding.

Moreover legalizing Drugs isn't going to get rid of Gangs. :roll:

No, but it would take the profitability out of being in a gang, much as ending prohibition did back in the '30s.

One of the biggest issues with gangs is drug running. Maybe those that wish to have gun control laws removed would also be willing to remove drug laws as well.

Heya TNE. :2wave: I think the main issue is the recruiting of the younger kids. I think we need to come up with more ways to keep kids involved into legitimate activities. After school and into the evenings.

Plus looking at ways to curb the recruitment. A lot of these gangs are ran by like 17 and 18years old. Gang Organizations are different. Someway we need to stop the influence. Showing kids other people care. Not just those in their own Hoods or Suburbs.

I'll give you marijuana legalization. Ive always been pro pot legalization. Hell...I'll even give you blanket legalization...provided that anyone found heroin, cocaine, hallucinogens, methamphetamines, etc be denied health care benefits and social spending costs.

No, but it would take the profitability out of being in a gang, much as ending prohibition did back in the '30s.

Which would lead them back to looking at other areas of crime.....and of course going back to being more racially divided. Fighting and looking to kill over that reason alone. Making hits based solely back on that front.

Gang wars have made one of our biggest cities into a war zone, and we're fighting over gun control?

Gun control doesn't work. Gangs don't care what the gun laws are. That much is obvious, or should be by now.

So, what does work? How do we get rid of gangs, or can we? What is it that keeps them going and encourages people to become involved in them?

This is a serious question, and is not limited to Chicago or New York. We have a terrible gang problem right here in River City, as it were. Gangs are active all over the country.

Our foolish and counterproductive drug policy has the gangs making pretty good money by dealing drugs.

If the prohibition were ended with the stroke of a pen, same way it was created, the biggest source of money for the gangs would be eliminated.

Unfortunately, this is too honest for the government to do.

I'll give you marijuana legalization. Ive always been pro pot legalization. Hell...I'll even give you blanket legalization...provided that anyone found heroin, cocaine, hallucinogens, methamphetamines, etc be denied health care benefits and social spending costs.

Hard to deny people health care benefits and social spending costs, when other things related to health care costs such as alcohol, obescity, etc are major factors as well.

Unless you are looking to do a total review of everything health care related that you want to exclude, I think focusing on only the drug aspect is foolish and discriminatory.

Which would lead them back to looking at other areas of crime.....and of course going back to being more racially divided. Fighting and looking to kill over that reason alone. Making hits based solely back on that front.

They're already looking at other areas of crime, such as prostitution, but the real money is in drug dealing. No ending prohibition isn't going to totally end gang activity, but it would take a lot of the wind out of their sails.

It's hard to see how gangs could be any more racially divided than they are now. There are black gangs, Latino gangs, Asian gangs, white supremacist gangs, are there really any integrated gangs?

Back
Top Bottom