• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

7 big myths about marijuana and legalization

You people focus too much on the individual addiction item itself. Marijuana is merely a genetic weakling attraction such as other intoxicants are. If you use marijuana, yes, you have weaker genetics that allow you to seek out 'crutches' to deal with reality (be that marijuana, alcohol, smoking, whatever, they're all crutches for people who don't have strong 'ability to say no' genetics). Such people simply got a bad roll of the genetic dice.

In the future such people will have these negative genetics found out upon and or ideally before birth and replaced so it won't be an issue later in life. Addiction is actually a genetic bad roll.

Watch the movie Gattaca. It delves into this.

In the future there will be no gambling industry as it will be 'illegal' to birth a child with those addiction genetics.

Use=/=addiction. 91% of people who use Marijuana will never become addicts ( Marijuana Dependence and Its Treatment ). Your argument about "weak" genetics is somewhat sound, although there's no such thing as "weak" vs. "strong" phenotypes, such distinctions are purely based on cultural norms; there is truth in stating that addictive behavior and/or tendencies towards drug abuse can be genetically predisposed, but it doesn't make those genes "weak", and it doesn't explain every user. But, to generalize that argument to all Marijuana users is not logical, since not all users are seeking an escape from reality, and only a very small percent are actually addicts.

The crutch argument is ultimately limited in it's tendency to equate all users with addicts and Marijuana with Alcohol. Although it's an easy comparison to make, Marijuana isn't like Alcohol on just about any level. The main distinction is that Marijuana is neither a dissociative or depressant drug, it doesn't lead to this "escape" that many other drugs, such as alcohol, do. Most studies have shown Marijuana to increase perception and introspection, which would be exactly the opposite effect that any escapist would want; Marijuana makes you think about the world more, not less.

Gattaca showed the dangers of selective birthing; it wouldn't lead to the freedom of mankind, it leads to the enslavement of true humanity. To be human is to be flawed; without Marijuana users, including addicts, this world wouldn't be as great as it is. Several of our best minds have attributed their success to Marijuana use, Stoned scientists | Cannabis Culture . Diversity is a good thing in society; when different people see the same scenario, but come to different conclusions, you get innovation. We shouldn't want everyone to be born the same or to think the same, that would be the death of humanity.

Last edited:
There are generally less problems with marijuana in the Netherlands, compare to the USA. There is a problem of drug tourism. Since marijuana is illegal in
many other European countries, and one can travel freely between European countries, there are "drug tourists" visiting the Netherlands. And sometimes
they become a burden in Amsterdam, or in border towns such as Maastricht.

The problem with Maastricht and Venlo is that it is now illegal for drugs tourists to visit the Dutch coffee shops, the owners of these coffee shops do not like that. The fear of many is that the drugs trade will move from the legal to the illegal in civilian areas of the city rather than the business district.

Yeah no that's incorrect.

Marijuana use is a universal vice of addicts and is one thing that is always prevalent among addicts among many other abuses of other items.

Marijuana use is extremely rare and or non existent among non addicts.

You miss the fact that an addict is an actual genetic flaw (weak genes that cause the person to be prone to addiction of various sorts). Addicts don't decide largely to be addicts, they were going to be addicts from the second the doctor delivered them. Whatever substance they're currently abusing is irrelevant. Yet that does not mean that 'Oh marijuana is not one of the common substances of addiction'. It absolutely is. There don't exist many alcoholics that aren't also weed smokers. That is not a coincidence. It has nothing to do with weed, it has to do with the fact that weed is one of the several major vices of addicts, which directly means it's a substance used by genetically weak (addicts) people.

An addict is a genetically flawed human or, to cater to you politically correct people, 'A person with undesired and or weak genes that cause a negative tendency'. In the future those genes will simply be weeded out. You won't be 'allowed' to give birth to a human with those flawed genes.

Marijuana use is a universal vice of addicts and is one thing that is always prevalent among addicts among many other abuses of other items.

You miss the fact that an addict is an actual genetic flaw (weak genes that cause the person to be prone to addiction of various sorts). Addicts don't decide largely to be addicts, they were going to be addicts from the second the doctor delivered them. Whatever substance they're currently abusing is irrelevant. Yet that does not mean that 'Oh marijuana is not one of the common substances of addiction'. It absolutely is. There don't exist many alcoholics that aren't also weed smokers. That is not a coincidence. It has nothing to do with weed, it has to do with the fact that weed is one of the several major vices of addicts, which directly means it's a substance used by genetically weak (addicts) people.

An addict is a genetically flawed human or, to cater to you politically correct people, 'A person with undesired and or weak genes that cause a negative tendency'. In the future those genes will simply be weeded out. You won't be 'allowed' to give birth to a human with those flawed genes.

Lol.

What sort of genes produce sanctimonious blinded dumb asses? Any thoughts there?

And are you trying to say that everyone who smokes pot is addicted to pot?
Can you link to the evidence which led you to this conclusion? If you can, would you please?

There don't exist many alcoholics that aren't also weed smokers. That is not a coincidence. It has nothing to do with weed, it has to do with the fact that weed is one of the several major vices of addicts, which directly means it's a substance used by genetically weak (addicts) people.
Do these "genetically weak" people also use, caffeine, computers and swimming pools?

You won't be 'allowed' to give birth to a human with those flawed genes.
The CT forum is thataway.

Can you back up any of the claims you make? none of your claims seem very realistic to me.

In my experience most alcoholics do not smoke pot.

There may be some genetic disposition in some cases,but I think environmental factors are far more important.

thought I'd jump in here as I am in the medical field and I have businesses in states that have legalized marijuana for medical use and states that do not.

In over 20 years of experience, I have NEVER treated an individual that has over dosed on marijuana.. however, I have treated patients that have overdosed on everything from paint thinners, to prescription in halers.

Marijuana from a medicinal aspect is effective. We get a lot of chronic pain people in my clinics. A LOT. And generally, you have that patient that has had three back surgeries, not working for years, in chronic pain... that's taking several different medications for pain Norco, Neurontin, and Effexor... with a little Cymbalta or lyrica to boot....When you see that patient, its very unlikely that they will improve to the point where they get off the medication and get back to work.

However, I have seen patients that were previously these patients, and after using medical marijuana and therapy, have managed to not only not take pain medications at all, but actually return to work. So I have gone from a skeptic to someone who thinks that there might be something in legalization.

Now.. for those that say that we can used a prescription THC instead (and I would have been one of them)... I think there is something to the control and dosing of medical marijuana that makes it more effective than prescription THC. I think that the fact that the patient has so much control of when and how much that they take,( rather than watching every pill, and hoarding them in case of need, or taking them routinely when not necessary just in case of break through pain) is one of the reasons that it seems to work better than some really strong pain medication.

And studies on personal controlled analgesics support that theory.

Another point.. legalization versus decriminalization. I think that legalization and regulation is the way to go, rather than continue the blackmarket sales and criminal activity associated with Marijuana. Yes, there is something to the fact that our country is a nanny state and if we make it legal, thousands may go out and try it because "the government thinks its safe".... However, I think that marijuana to some degree is a "gateway drug" because to get it, you are introduced to a criminal element, and it becomes easier to follow down that path. Once you figure out that lots of people use marijuana and don't freak out.. despite Nancy Reagans just say no.. then you begin to question whether whats said about meth, and crack etc is true.,

In my youth, one of my best friends' parents were drug dealers. They dealt in home grown marijuana. They were sweet people, a little bit "hard assed" but with big and generous hearts. They treated me like a member of the family, and on my 18th birthday, they declared me "of age" and let me get high with them. It was the first time I had tried pot, and it was fun just for the experience.

I did pot with them and others a few more times before I made the decision for myself that pot wasn't my cup of tea. It put me to sleep, made me feel a bit nauseous, and didn't really have any positives for me. I could achieve the same mental state by listening to music in the dark without the nausea, and I didn't get any of the benefits others talked about, like it being an aphrodisiac. Bottom line here is I tried it, but I didn't become addicted, nor was it a "gateway" into other things. Doing pot is not the gateway; dealing it is!

A few years after that first experience with pot, my friend's father died. His mother had trouble making sales from competing dealers in the area, but she had heard about this new drug that was selling like crazy, and she had an opportunity to invest in a stash and begin turning a profit. I had never heard of meth before then (we're talking like 1995). I had stopped hanging out with her son, but remained friends with her because she was kinda like a second mom to me. She knew I didn't smoke pot and she warned me away from trying meth, even refusing to sell to me (not that I ever wanted to buy). She knew it was a dangerous drug, but she was just trying to make ends meet. Everything was fine....until she tried her product.

Meth is an evil evil evil thing. She changed almost overnight. All the sweet reasons I had loved and admired this woman disappeared as she became hostile, antagonistic, rude and deceitful. She accused me of the most ridiculous things and then kicked me out of her home because I "was too good" to buy her product. She felt I was looking down my nose at her because I wouldn't buy anything from her, and no amount of explaining that I wasn't buying anything (meth or pot) from anyone would appease her.

Pot is not Meth. Period. The worst thing Pot ever did was making people lazy and stupid (not that all pot smokers are lazy and stupid). Pot is natural and requires only drying to make it ready for use (unlike other drugs that require extensive processing). I've also tried two of the prescription drugs mentioned by Jaeger19: Effexor and Cymbalta. Effexor did its job, reduced my anxiety, calmed me down and allowed me to focus on my work without all the stress. Cymbalta on the other hand is a horrible drug (IMO). I see it advertised for depression, back pain and other ailments, and when I took it, I had to stop after only two days. It made me fill uncomfortable in my own skin and exacerbated my depression further. IMO, Cymbalta is "snake oil" that pharmaceutical companies are making serious bank on.

The point, however, is that Marijuana is far less harsh on the human body and psyche than many of the prescription drugs out there, and the biggest reason it's not legal is because pharmaceutical companies want to continue to make profits on drugs they can control. Marijuana can be grown in the back yard or in a sealed room with UV lamps. Drug companies can't control its production and distribution, so they don't want to see it legalized and regulated. Fortunately, they can't argue with the voters.

In my youth, one of my best friends' parents were drug dealers. They dealt in home grown marijuana. They were sweet people, a little bit "hard assed" but with big and generous hearts. They treated me like a member of the family, and on my 18th birthday, they declared me "of age" and let me get high with them. It was the first time I had tried pot, and it was fun just for the experience.

I did pot with them and others a few more times before I made the decision for myself that pot wasn't my cup of tea. It put me to sleep, made me feel a bit nauseous, and didn't really have any positives for me. I could achieve the same mental state by listening to music in the dark without the nausea, and I didn't get any of the benefits others talked about, like it being an aphrodisiac. Bottom line here is I tried it, but I didn't become addicted, nor was it a "gateway" into other things. Doing pot is not the gateway; dealing it is!

A few years after that first experience with pot, my friend's father died. His mother had trouble making sales from competing dealers in the area, but she had heard about this new drug that was selling like crazy, and she had an opportunity to invest in a stash and begin turning a profit. I had never heard of meth before then (we're talking like 1995). I had stopped hanging out with her son, but remained friends with her because she was kinda like a second mom to me. She knew I didn't smoke pot and she warned me away from trying meth, even refusing to sell to me (not that I ever wanted to buy). She knew it was a dangerous drug, but she was just trying to make ends meet. Everything was fine....until she tried her product.

Meth is an evil evil evil thing. She changed almost overnight. All the sweet reasons I had loved and admired this woman disappeared as she became hostile, antagonistic, rude and deceitful. She accused me of the most ridiculous things and then kicked me out of her home because I "was too good" to buy her product. She felt I was looking down my nose at her because I wouldn't buy anything from her, and no amount of explaining that I wasn't buying anything (meth or pot) from anyone would appease her.

Pot is not Meth. Period. The worst thing Pot ever did was making people lazy and stupid (not that all pot smokers are lazy and stupid). Pot is natural and requires only drying to make it ready for use (unlike other drugs that require extensive processing). I've also tried two of the prescription drugs mentioned by Jaeger19: Effexor and Cymbalta. Effexor did its job, reduced my anxiety, calmed me down and allowed me to focus on my work without all the stress. Cymbalta on the other hand is a horrible drug (IMO). I see it advertised for depression, back pain and other ailments, and when I took it, I had to stop after only two days. It made me fill uncomfortable in my own skin and exacerbated my depression further. IMO, Cymbalta is "snake oil" that pharmaceutical companies are making serious bank on.

The point, however, is that Marijuana is far less harsh on the human body and psyche than many of the prescription drugs out there, and the biggest reason it's not legal is because pharmaceutical companies want to continue to make profits on drugs they can control. Marijuana can be grown in the back yard or in a sealed room with UV lamps. Drug companies can't control its production and distribution, so they don't want to see it legalized and regulated. Fortunately, they can't argue with the voters.
I have no idea who you are. This is apparently your first post. And it is a very good and thoughtful post. Thank you for sharing.

Pot on the other hand is safer than alcohol.

And about as much as fun as slamming my nuts repeatedly in a hot oven door. Imagine coming home and someone locks the door behind you, and you find all your ex girlfriends, ex wives, friends, co-workers and family members sitting in wait for you. They sit you down and proceed, one by one, to tell you everything they don't like about you. That's pot.

You can have it.

Welcome to DP! :2wave: Awesome post! :mrgreen:

And about as much as fun as slamming my nuts repeatedly in a hot oven door. Imagine coming home and someone locks the door behind you, and you find all your ex girlfriends, ex wives, friends, co-workers and family members sitting in wait for you. They sit you down and proceed, one by one, to tell you everything they don't like about you. That's pot.

You can have it.
As hilarious as anecdotal stories are from people who don't like pot, I really hope you don't view your personal issues with weed as a valid reason to keep it illegal?

As hilarious as anecdotal stories are from people who don't like pot, I really hope you don't view your personal issues with weed as a valid reason to keep it illegal?

Of course not. If it's making someone happy and nobody's getting hurt I couldn't care less what people do.

Okay. Nothing against you. I had to ask because some people do.

To be perfectly honest, I'm probably a little bitter that marijuana became legal only after I stopped being able to enjoy it.

You used to and now you can't? What happened?

[shrug]

Whatever happens when you get older and the things you used to enjoy stop being enjoyable. Who knows. Suffice it to say, pot makes me intensely uncomfortable now.

[shrug]

Whatever happens when you get older and the things you used to enjoy stop being enjoyable. Who knows. Suffice it to say, pot makes me intensely uncomfortable now.

Damn, you've got me a little nervous now. :(

Damn, you've got me a little nervous now. :(

Why? Was it the end of your universe when Mighty Morphin Power Rangers stopped being fun?

Here is a list of all the people who have died overdosing on marijuana.

Oh wait, no one has ever overdosed on marijuana. The irony is that the people who are the most ardently against marijuana are the people that really should smoke it, so they would mellow out and STFU.

Here is a list of all the people who have died overdosing on marijuana.

Oh wait, no one has ever overdosed on marijuana. The irony is that the people who are the most ardently against marijuana are the people that really should smoke it, so they would mellow out and STFU.
LOL Welcome to DP! :2wave:
Nice post! :mrgreen:

The difference between pot and meth:

When grandma falls down the stairs, the person on pot laughs.

The person on meth pushed grandma down the stairs.

The difference between pot and meth:

When grandma falls down the stairs, the person on pot laughs.

The person on meth pushed grandma down the stairs.

Eh, being high doesn't make me laugh at elderly people getting hurt. :roll:

Back
Top Bottom