• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

695 Dead, 180 Hurt in Iraq Bridge Stampede

No wonder why some here seem to think as the Iraqi's as "cattle"....true stories of heroism dont seem to get out in the West

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,2763,1562729,00.html?gusrc=rss

A Sunni Arab teenager who died saving Shias during last week's stampede disaster in Baghdad has been hailed as a hero whose sacrifice should unify Iraq.
Othman al-Ubeydi drowned after rescuing at least three people who tumbled into the Tigris when Shia pilgrims panicked at rumours of a suicide bomber among them, leading to 1,005 deaths.

The 19-year-old student's face was on newspapers and television screens yesterday and the provincial council said that a street would be named after him.

Mr Ubeydi was sitting down to breakfast last Wednesday when loudspeakers from his Sunni mosque said Shias needed help at the al-Aima bridge, where Iraq's deadliest disaster since the 2003 invasion was unfolding.

While hundreds were crushed to death on the bridge, hundreds more jumped or fell into the river. Witnesses said that the teenager, a strong swimmer and wrestler who trained at a gym, repeatedly dived in and saved between three and seven people. However he was exhausted when he tried to save a large woman, and she reportedly pulled him under.................

Bergslagstroll said:
I will beg you pardon for two thing first that I respond so late and the second thing is that I call you a anarchist now. Because for me is it very simple that you need a goverment to protect people, for example from getting killed or being beated uped and then you have created that goverment it has the responisibilty to give you that protection.

And in the case with Iraq it is USA responisble to give protection to the Iraqie people untill the country is stable because it was the USA that overthrowned the old goverment. So it can be a bit anarchistic I think if you think that people should fend for themself and no goverment should be there and have a responsibility to protect them.

Finally my involvment in this thread has not the intention to be about putting blame but discusing the responisibility a country and it citizen should have then they overthrowe another countries goverment. Maybee I could have posted in another thread or started a new thread. But I though then I started posting in this thread that a good starting point could be the comparing you americans reaction to killed american soldiers and innocent iraqie civilians.

Theres no way to protect people from themselves. The overall security is the responsibility of the government. But individuals are still responsible for themselves.

KidRocks said:
The dead include mostly women and children. Things are so bad in Iraq since President Bush decided to go on a little adventure and attack Saddam. Looks like the number of Iraqi's dying under President Bush's rule is rapidly approaching the numbers killed under Saddam watch. And the Iraqi's thought things would be vastly better with the removal of Saddam. Boy, were they sadly mistaken. :2no4:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050831/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq_050831143538

BAGHDAD, Iraq - Panic engulfed thousands of Shiites marching across a bridge in a religious procession Wednesday after rumors spread that a suicide bomber was about to attack, triggering a stampede that killed at least 695 people. It was the single biggest confirmed loss of life in Iraq since the March 2003 invasion.

Scores jumped or were pushed to their deaths into the Tigris River, but many were crushed in the crowd, which had jammed up at a security checkpoint on the western side of the Azamiyah bridge. Most of the dead were women and children, Interior Ministry spokesman Lt. Col. Adnan Abdul-Rahman said.

Tensions already had been running high in the procession to the shrine in Baghdad's heavily Shiite Kazimiyah district because of a mortar attack two hours earlier against the site. The shrine was about a mile from the bridge.

Health Ministry spokesman Qassim Yahya said the casualty toll was 695 dead and 180 injured. Figures from other official sources varied somewhat because survivors were rushed in ambulances and private cars to many hospitals, and officials were scrambling to compile accurate casualty figures.

I'm sorry, but are we gasing the people? Are we raping the women? No! So, please tell me how it is even close to being just as bad as when Suddam was in rule. TELL ME!
Quit blaming someone who has never murdered anyone and start blaming the real criminals.
Quit blaming Bush!
Blame those sick terrist that came to America and killed over 3000 americans. Blame the people that slit some pilots throats, took over some planes, and crashed them into the World trade centers, and the Pentagon.
Bush isn't the criminal, they are!

satanloveslibs said:
I'm sorry, but are we gasing the people? Are we raping the women? No! So, please tell me how it is even close to being just as bad as when Suddam was in rule. TELL ME!
Quit blaming someone who has never murdered anyone and start blaming the real criminals.
Quit blaming Bush!
Blame those sick terrist that came to America and killed over 3000 americans. Blame the people that slit some pilots throats, took over some planes, and crashed them into the World trade centers, and the Pentagon.

It's easier to blame everybody but those responsible

I'm sorry, but are we gasing the people?

No just supplying it

Are we raping the women?

Actually yes we are in Abu Grahib

Did the U.S.support him when he was murdering and raping and gassing? just curious.......

[/QUOTE]

Everyone but O.B.L. blames the terrorists for their 9-11 acts ...but what does any of that have to do with Sadaam?

Question to you......Charter of the U.N. says that:

Article 2 paragraph 3
All Members shall settle their international disputes by peaceful means in such a manner that international peace and security, and justice, are not endangered.

Article 2 paragraph 4
All Members shall refrain in their international relations from the threat or use of force against the territorial integrity or political independence of any state, or in any other manner inconsistent with the Purposes of the United Nations.

Article 51
Nothing in the present Charter shall impair the inherent right of individual or collective self-defense if an armed attack occurs against a Member of the United Nations, until the Security Council has taken measures necessary to maintain international peace and security. Measures taken by Members in the exercise of this right of self-defense shall be immediately reported to the Security Council and shall not in any way affect the authority and responsibility of the Security Council under the present Charter to take at any time such action as it deems necessary in order to maintain or restore international peace and security.

Article 92
The International Court of Justice shall be the principal judicial organ of the United Nations. It shall function in accordance with the annexed Statute, which is based upon the Statute of the Permanent Court of International Justice and forms and integral part of the present Charter.

Article 93 paragraph 1
All Members of the United Nations are ipso facto parties to the Statute of the International Court of Justice.

Article 96 paragraph 1
The General Assembly or the Security Council may request the International Court of Justice to give an advisory opinion on any legal question.

Now was Sadaam really a threat? if so how and if not then yes Bush is a criminal because he broke these Charters.....personally I'm not as hard on him as others are but to say he didnt "screw up" is just not logical

Calm2Chaos said:
Theres no way to protect people from themselves. The overall security is the responsibility of the government. But individuals are still responsible for themselves.

Of course personally responsibilility is important but it is not enough in Iraq. It's enough to "act smart" you also need the protection from the goverment or in this case the US that have the duty to protect the Iraqies.

Bergslagstroll said:
Of course personally responsibilility is important but it is not enough in Iraq. It's enough to "act smart" you also need the protection from the goverment or in this case the US that have the duty to protect the Iraqies.

You can't protect them from themselves. You want to stop the bombing or at least curb them. Start talking to the police and soldiers there.All this activity going on and nobody knows nothing? I just can't belive that.The first step in getting help has to be helping yourself

Back
Top Bottom