• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

678,000 new jobs in February. Unemployment falls to 3.8%

poweRob

USMC 1988-1996
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
We all knew Biden would be a great step up from Trump, but could we have possibly believed he would be this great?
Lincoln sminken... I'm nominating Joe for greatest president ever!

Not with inflation like this. The Fed must and will react and we'll see if they are too late or not, and how many hikes will be needed.

Not with inflation like this. The Fed must and will react and we'll see if they are too late or not, and how many hikes will be needed.
What exactly happens in your "too late" scenario?

The stock Market is low and Russia invaded Ukraine, but thank God we have Biden, maybe Putin would be satisfied with Trump.

Hmmn? What does that sound like?

Putin would have Europe.

What exactly happens in your "too late" scenario?
Recession would be the concern. I read a detailed article this morning that I'm trying to find again, to link.
This one is brief and not the one I'm looking for - but I'll post it while I continue to look for the more detailed one.

Recession would be the concern. I read a detailed article this morning that I'm trying to find again, to link.
This one is brief and not the one I'm looking for - but I'll post it while I continue to look for the more detailed one.

What you call inflation is actually corporate price gouging.

The inflation rate is still barely half what it was when Ronald Reagan was reelected.

so the first person to try to suck all the air out of the room (good news on jobs) in the other thread was American. here it's gbg3.

I'm still looking for the article I read this morning but the beginning of this one provides a pretty good summary of the recession concern. I often run into a paywall with the WSJ but was able to read this one.

"A surge in commodities prices around the globe is stirring worries about higher inflation alongside lower economic growth.

Brent-crude futures, the international benchmark, rose 6.8% to $112.12 a barrel on Wednesday, extending their advance so far this year to 44%. Wheat prices have surged to the highest level since 2008. Aluminum and nickel prices have risen, too.

Climbing commodity prices are the latest wildcard for investors at a time when inflation has already been hovering at a 40-year high. Now, some analysts are warning that economic growth could slow at a time when prices are ripping higher. This happened in the 1970s, when a combination of lower economic growth and higher inflation, or stagflation, weighed on stock returns.

“Russia/Ukraine increases risk of stagflation” and a central bank policy mistake, wrote Bank of America analysts in a recent note to clients.

Analysts at Fitch Ratings warned Tuesday that inflation could remain high throughout the year, weighing on the global economy and increasing the risk of a recession."

The honest and factual definition of recession is two consecutive quarters of negative growth.

The last time I looked growth was 7% in 2021.

Yes, interest rates need to be increased. They were taken to it's lowest point in the bush boy years and haven't increased much since.

We don't need low interest rates anymore.

Increasing interest rates will slow the economy and does have potential to cause a recession but only if rates are increased too much and too fast for employment and wages to keep up.

Yes there is a potential for recession in red states from an interest increase because they didn't increase their minimum wage.

States like mine won't.

The inflation rate is still barely half what it was when Ronald Reagan was reelected.
If Biden reelection is what is on your mind, you'll have to wait another 2 1/2 years to see how that goes.

It must really irk some that job growth is exceptional, unemployment is low and covid is on the decline......all they have left is inflation and are likely concerned that metric will level off, as it has the last few months, and then begin a decline. I think it is unfortunate that Americans can't jointly celebrate what can only be described as a very good thing.

Back
Top Bottom