• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

60 Percent Of Americans Ready To Fire All Of Congress

RDS

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Many need to be sent to the 'old age homes'.
Given an opportunity to replace every member of Congress, 60 percent of Americans would favor an all-inclusive congressional overhaul, while only 35 percent said they would keep some members, according to a NBC/Wall Street Journal poll released Thursday.
The new fire-them-all figure -- the highest percentage that poll has ever recorded -- appears as the government has been shut down for more than a week and the U.S. approaches a historic default on Oct. 17.
Frustration with Congress has seen a dramatic spike, with multiple surveys indicating that Republicans face a larger portion of the blame. In October 2010, the NBC/WSJ poll found that 47 to 50 percent of Americans opposed firing all members of Congress. But by August 2011, 54 percent were ready to throw out every last lawmaker, and that number has been rising ever since.
60 Percent Of Americans Ready To Fire All Of Congress

The problem is, people are all talk and no action. Either they won't vote, or they'll say that their congressman is great and vote for him again, it's all the other representatives who are bad, not their own.

Yeah, that's great and all, but it never happens. Every two years there's a sizable contingent of voters that says "THROW ALL TEH BUMZ OUT!!!1," then dutifully steps into the voting booth and votes for the same jerkass that's been keeping the seat warm for decades.

"Throw all the bums out!" seems to morph into "throw all the bums out, except our bum" come Election Day.

Yeah, that's great and all, but it never happens. Every two years there's a sizable contingent of voters that says "THROW ALL TEH BUMZ OUT!!!1," then dutifully steps into the voting booth and votes for the same jerkass that's been keeping the seat warm for decades.

"Throw all the bums out!" seems to morph into "throw all the bums out, except our bum" come Election Day.

This goes back to the old adage, "Everyone loves their own congressman, they hate the other 434.

Yep, everybody says that everybody has to go. However, my guy is fighting the good fight and he needs to be in Washington to fight for me.

Perhaps we really do have the government we deserve.

The problem is, people are all talk and no action. Either they won't vote, or they'll say that their congressman is great and vote for him again, it's all the other representatives who are bad, not their own.

Excellent Point...here is the petition for you to do something!

MoveOn Petitions - No pay for Congress during the shutdown

So everyone else on this forum.

Also don't forget during the shutdown members of the congress still getting paid

Diving Mullah

I have heard this all before and in the end somewhere between 90-95% of all incumbents are returned. It is a nice dream though.

Doesn't that just piss you off. Good god we are idiots.

If I had my choice to change one single thing in DC, it would be to impose term limits on all elected politicians.
I believe that is an absolutely crucial step we need to take - the DC environment has to be one of the most corrupting environments in the world.

I believe that is an absolutely crucial step we need to take - the DC environment has to be one of the most corrupting environments in the world.

Yes, I honestly believe that honest people who go there, have great difficulty maintaining their integrity in that environment, and that is why we see some good peeps drop out of it altogether. Sad.

Yes, I honestly believe that honest people who go there, have great difficulty maintaining their integrity in that environment, and that is why we see some good peeps drop out of it altogether. Sad.
It is unfortunate. That is one of the reasons I believe in limited government, in the least amount of government we absolutely need to do the absolute minimum we need our government to do. Sadly, we're so far from that now that people can't even imagine the concept.

It says in the article that most of that 60% include their own guy...

Next election would be the ideal time for a new party to step up to the plate...

Doesn't that just piss you off. Good god we are idiots.

Exactly, but that is life in the world of politics. It is like we people love to be lied to, deceived, and played like fools. Yet we keep sending these guys back to congress.

It says in the article that most of that 60% include their own guy...

Next election would be the ideal time for a new party to step up to the plate...

It says that, but come next election people will elect their incumbent representative. It happens every time.

It says that, but come next election people will elect their incumbent representative. It happens every time.

I'm not so sure that's the case... People have given so many second, third and more chances and the representatives fail continuously.

It's not even just democrats get unpopular so they turn to GOP... They are losing out to the same extent.

I could be wrong, but I don't think this is the same kind of anger growing...

The one argument I have heard against term limits is that term limiting congress would give perm-bureaucrats even more power. A better solution is to get rid of the cushy pensions these politicians get meaning they would be less likely to stay in the job

The one argument I have heard against term limits is that term limiting congress would give perm-bureaucrats even more power. A better solution is to get rid of the cushy pensions these politicians get meaning they would be less likely to stay in the job

Heck they are still getting paid during this shut down grrrrrrrrrrrrr

Heck they are still getting paid during this shut down grrrrrrrrrrrrr

yeah while many other government workers might not be. In an ideal world, congress would be a step down -a duty a successful public minded man or woman would do for a few terms and then return back to their real job. sadly, it has become by far the best job most of the members can get or will ever hold

Also don't forget during the shutdown members of the congress still getting paid

In theory the idea to revoke their state pay makes sense. However, their measly $170K annual salary is not what drives them to do what they are doing. We the people are the minor financial contributors to most politicians annual income.

Corporate interests and big lobbies contribute far more to the equation than we will.

How much money was raised during the 2012 presidential election?

Corporate interests and big lobbies contribute far more to the equation than we will.

Ya. Why do you think many of them go in with modest wealth and come out with hundreds of millions to their names? They weren't selling candy bars on the side, that's for sure.

Ya. Why do you think many of them go in with modest wealth and come out with hundreds of millions to their names? They weren't selling candy bars on the side, that's for sure.

This is true and as much as $174,000 is a nice salary. . . it would take 500+ years for that to equal $100 million.

Also, its not just the money in their bank accounts, but also the unprecedented access they receive from these corporations.

Back
Top Bottom