• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

60% of Britons believe in conspiracy theories

Lafayette

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
From: Study shows 60% of Britons believe in conspiracy theories

Excerpt:
Sixty per cent of British people believe at least one conspiracy theory about how the country is run or the veracity of information they have been given, a major new study has found, part of a pattern of deep distrust of authority that has become widespread across Europe and the US.

In the UK, people who supported Brexit were considerably more likely to give credence to conspiracy theories than those who opposed it, with 71% of leave voters believing at least one theory compared with 49% of remain voters.

Almost half (47%) of leave voters believed the government had deliberately concealed the truth about how many immigrants live in the UK, versus 14% of remain voters.
A striking 31% of leave voters believed that Muslim immigration was part of a wider plot to make Muslims the majority in Britain, a conspiracy theory that originated in French far-right circles that was known as the “great replacement”. The comparable figure for remain voters was 6%.

I knew it! I knew it! Far too much pub-time.

(It's patently evident that the Brits can't hold their liquor ... ! ;^)

PS: I suspect that were the same pol taken in the US, the percentages would be even higher. It's incredible the BS far too many believe believe on the BoobTube. (It's no wonder why political campaign money goes there in boatloads?!?)

Yes. Unfortunately, a real education and critical thinking skills don’t come easily or naturally. They are hard to get and often very expensive, so the vast majority of people are left without them. But they think they do because they have “common sense”, and dismiss everything else as “liberal indoctrination”.

Here in the US, I was reading that more people believe in UFO abductions, alien autopsies, Bigfoot and Elvis sightings, treating serious cancer with “natural” herbal remedies alone, and seances with the dead than they do in basic evolutionary biology or climate change science. Anyone who said there is wisdom in crowds didn’t know what they were talking about.

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
-Isaac Asimov

“Democracy is the theory that the common man knows what is good for him, and deserves to get it good and hard.”
-HL mencken

Last edited:

Excerpt:

PS: I suspect that were the same pol taken in the US, the percentages would be even higher. It's incredible the BS far too many believe believe on the BoobTube. (It's no wonder why political campaign money goes there in boatloads?!?)

Yes. Unfortunately, a real education and critical thinking skills don’t come easily or naturally. They are hard to get and often very expensive, so the vast majority of people are left without them. But they think they do,

Here in the US, I was reading that more people believe in UFO abductions, alien autopsies, Bigfoot and Elvis sightings, treating serious cancer with “natural” herbal remedies alone, and seances with the dead than they do in basic evolutionary biology or climate change science. Anyone who said there is wisdom in crowds didn’t know what they were talking about.

I AM Elvis Presley and I approve of these posts.

Excerpt:

So when the UN issues a report chronicling their vision of 'replacement migration', you think they're referring to something other than population replacement.

United Nations Population Division | Department of Economic and Social Affairs

Gee...I wonder what happens when you flood a country with opiates, abortion, violence, and ultra divisive education concerning race and gender? You end up with low birth rates. The only predominantly European country with a sufficient birth rate to sustain their workforce & economy is Israel, and they go to great lengths in order to stem drug use, abortion, violence, and subversive education.

I AM Elvis Presley and I approve of these posts.

giphy.gif

The Brits are afraid that Muslims shall replace them at their own Island up north?!

:lamo

Thanks, I needed that in this fine morning! :)

Yes. Unfortunately, a real education and critical thinking skills don’t come easily or naturally. They are hard to get and often very expensive, so the vast majority of people are left without them. But they think they do because they have “common sense”, and dismiss everything else as “liberal indoctrination”.

Tis sad, tis sad, what your write. But tis true as well.

We are still a country that has yet to "grow-up" mesmerized as we are by the call-of-money with which we can "show the world" our success!

(As if the world really cared. They are too busy aping such behavior. We are only fooling ourselves, whilst in fact a good many live lives of utter misery locked in destitution ...)

"You are thinking outside the bounds of what is acceptable and thus you will not be taken seriously" is generally a bad idea.

Because it's not the least bit duplicitous to conflate concerns over mass, unchecked immigration, cultural displacement and....extraterrestrial contact. lulz So where's the 'study' highlighting the correlation between AGW subscribers and Loch Ness Monster enthusiasts? I guess that's different. How about gun control and garden fairies? That's different too, right?

MSM doing what it does, yo. But hey, happily, the intellectual profundity of Leftists allows them to shred the veil of such flimsy ploys, so that's a load off. Phew!

Go Libs! :rock

Well, more Brits believe in the existence of ghosts than in a creator.

https://www.ozy.com/acumen/why-so-many-brits-believe-in-ghosts/70528

Make of that what you will.

I still have to grin today at the landlord of some manor (turned hotel) assuring me that I'd hear things go bump in the night on account of some Roman legion slaughtered long ago marching thru my bedroom.

Holding all of it to be some marketing stunt, I said as much in the breakfast room on account of my having slept very well without any disturbance at all.

Some of the other guests were quite dismayed at my utter lack of sensitivity (they'd clearly been shivering with fear under the bedclothes all night long) but the landlord explained that the apparitions do not approach those lacking belief.

Well, that works for me.

So when the UN issues a report chronicling their vision of 'replacement migration', you think they're referring to something other than population replacement.

Gee...I wonder what happens when you flood a country with opiates, abortion, violence, and ultra divisive education concerning race and gender? You end up with low birth rates. The only predominantly European country with a sufficient birth rate to sustain their workforce & economy is Israel, and they go to great lengths in order to stem drug use, abortion, violence, and subversive education.

Israel is not geographically European.

The Brits are afraid that Muslims shall replace them at their own Island up north?!

Only the Brexiteers' useful idiots, who are fed steaming piles and kept in the dark.

The Brits are not some pure monolithic race of anything in the first place. They are already a dizzying hodgepodge mongrel group of numerous warring contentious tribes and ethnicities, from Celts to Angles and Saxons and Romans and Vikings and Normans, etc...

The Brits are not some pure monolithic race of anything in the first place. They are already a dizzying hodgepodge mongrel group of numerous warring contentious tribes and ethnicities, from Celts to Angles and Saxons and Romans and Vikings and Normans, etc...

Interesting that you choose to label the British using terminology once employed by Nazi Germany (mongrels) in order to advocate for genocide.

True enough.

One may add that there's barely a country in Europe to which that description doesn't apply as well. In fact the only region (not country) that comes to (my) mind are the Basques.

So this whole concept of "pure" indigenousness that can be swamped out is a bit daft wherever one goes. Because it happened all the time.

60% of Britons believe in conspiracy theories
I guess, then, the Brits I know -- former classmates, their friends, and business associates -- are in the 40% because nary a one of them has aired before me a conspiracy theory.

Then again, given the way their education system works, perhaps it's no surprise 60% of them ascribe to one or more conspiracy theories.

Those Israelis (to address a recent demonstration of by now customary ignorance) that are European by own or paternal country of origin, amount to around 30 % of the population there.

Of course a greater percentage (around 38%) comprises those born in the country from parents of any origin, often from a mix.

But if any interpretation of such figures makes Israel culturally European, I guess we can soon see the US applying for membership in the EU.:roll:

Interesting that you choose to label the British using terminology once employed by Nazi Germany (mongrels) in order to advocate for genocide.

I am using the terminology that racists use. I thought it might facilitate communication here.

You didn’t answer the issue.

Excerpt:

In order to avoid a fate similar to one seen in the movie Idiocracy, I sometimes think a basic test covering grammar, math, logic, history,science and economics should be administered before anyone is allowed to breed or vote.

In order to avoid a fate similar to one seen in the movie Idiocracy, I sometimes think a basic test covering grammar, math, logic, history,science and economics should be administered before anyone is allowed to breed or vote.
IOW you're advocating a return to the rule of absolutism.

Not that any monarch being able to pass any such test is guaranteed either, but the breeding angle might free us from any such considerations altogether.

I'd like to make things easier altogether by simplifying everything to the only one being allowed to both vote and breed being just myself.:mrgreen:

Oh yeah, before I forget---------------------->Irony Alert, IRONY ALERT

Fact: All European countries have a fertility rate below the replacement rate of 2.1
Fact: Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, Germany, and all if Eastern Europe have a negative rate of natural increase and all the rest of Europe is very low.

While access to abortion probably does play some role, access to birth control and a more affluent population waiting longer to have children is more likely.

Violence does not play a role in fertility rates as a simple look at Sub-Saharan Africa shows.
I have no idea where you got your data on a flood of opiates” and a connection to fertility rates.

And “education concerning race and gender?” That makes zero sense.

The UN report then was talking about how because of thes facts, then migration is necessary to offset declining current population.

The conspiracy theory is that there is a deliberate effort to create a specifically Muslim majority in each country in order to change the governments and social structures.

Those are not the same thing.

Last edited:

That's an enticing thought, I must admit.

But one cannot forbid anyone from voting. It is antithetical to the foundation of any democracy. That is, if you think you are living with a bunch of morons, then get the hell out ... !

Back
Top Bottom