• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[R.I.P.] 60 Minutes newsman Morley Safer dies at 84

JANFU

Land by the Gulf Stream
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
60 Minutes newsman Morley Safer dies at 84 - The Globe and Mail

Television journalist Morley Safer, who made his reputation as a Vietnam War correspondent for CBS and then became a mainstay on the network’s “60 Minutes” show for 46 years, has died at age 84, a few days after his retirement, the network announced on Thursday.

He retired from CBS last week and “60 Minutes” paid tribute to him with a look back at his work on Sunday’s show.

Safer, who spent 61 years in television news, brought an authoritative, urbane style to “60 Minutes,” CBS’s ground-breaking news program, and his work was a mix of hard and soft news. The part-time painter often reported on art and his disdain for contemporary works often set the art world atwitter.

CBS said Safer changed war reporting forever with his work in Vietnam before becoming an “iconic” correspondent who was one of U.S. television’s most enduring stars.
RIP, time to tell the news upstairs

Another great Canadian.

Safer was one of the greatest journalists in the tradition of Roger Mudd, Sander Van Oker, and others who pioneered television news when television still presented news

Greetings, F & L. :2wave:

:agree: Those were the good old days when a sense of propriety and dignity went along with the job! :thumbs: R.I.P. Morley Safer. Condolences to his family and friends on their loss.

Morley was like Abe Bagota. He looked 84 years old back in the 70s. He had a great run.

Rest in peace.

Greetings, F & L. :2wave:

:agree: Those were the good old days when a sense of propriety and dignity went along with the job! :thumbs: R.I.P. Morley Safer. Condolences to his family and friends on their loss.

The golden age of television news, as all of them came out of newspaper as opposed to a 'broadcasting course'. They knew how to ask questions and to whom they should be asked; had no idea about ratings and all them, Cronkite included, would have walked out the door under today's 'journalism'.

Mudd and Safer were my heroes as morphed from protestor to newsman.

RIP Morley. It was easy to like and respect him.

one of my favorites. i'm sad to hear that he has passed. rest in peace.

Here he is in Vietnam around 1967 or 1968. (Far right). My dad is on the lower right with a cigarette in his mouth. Thank God my dad quit smoking back in the late 70's or he wouldn't still be around. He turns 80 next week.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom